Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Of Men and Beasts... (Private)

Anger subsiding slightly at the quizzical expression the black cat was looking up at her with, Nessa sighed and gently pryed her wrist free from his maw. She noticed Narea still sitting obediently in that same spot further down, ears perked and watching the spectacle curiously.

Chrys...” She started, her voice more gentle than before. “I’m just going to have a look, alright? What’re you even doing here anyw-” A sudden pang in her mind made her inhale sharply and she stood back up, casting a sly look at the feline. “Where’s Ure? He gave you that pelt, didn’t he? I should’ve...” The elf ran her now-free hand across the back of her head, still wincing slightly as it put pressure on the sore spot. ‘Of course he’s around; I should have realised.’ She frowned, more to herself than anything, at how slow on the uptake she was.

Taking a few final glances towards Chrys and Narea, she gave the panther a little reassuring pet on the head, before heading back towards the trees. “I’ll be back soon. Please, stay here.” Narea gave a low whine, and padded up towards the panther’s position. She noted that Nessa’s pace was now a more cautious one.
Ardira Tinume (played by EarlyGrey)

Wincing at the sharpness of the blade against her throat, Ardira scowled more heavily and made clear her anger by pressing the aimed blade against Urebrion’s thigh threateningly. “Bad idea.” She snapped.

The skilled attempt did indeed throw Ardira off balance, but not as much as she lead the drow to believe. Mid ‘slide’, she sprung backwards, ramming her hooded head backwards at the point she knew her horns ended. Judging from the angle of his arm, she assumed the man was a good foot and more taller, but she hoped that the swiftness of her feint would gain her the upper hand. As soon as her head rammed against what she gathered was his chest, the tiefling tried to drop into a side roll and spring away.

She would roll some distance before springing back to her feet, facing Urebrion now with another dagger unsheathed; both held fast in her hands. A confused, disgruntled look was on her face. “Necromancer?” She scoffed incredulously. ‘Neverwinter really is a zoo.’ She stalled a bit more, being sure to stay her distance from the man, as she waited to see what other interesting points the moron would give her.
Urebrion Be'forg (played by Rattanee) Topic Starter

The panther's head slowly tilt as Nessa spoke. A whine followed as she turned towards the forest despite his 'advice', and the cat scoffed a little as Nessa started walking away... Chrys gave Narea a light nuzzle on the side of her maw, he had no doubts that the wolf knew how to handle herself, thusly the feline jumped into the shadows of the forest, then proceeded to trail Nessa from a safe distance. After all, what kind of a familiar would he have been if he couldn't even keep his friend's wife safe?
He constantly kept to the shadows, always a few trees behind the elf, just far enough that he could still close the distance between them within seconds, should the need arise.

It may have been a bad idea not to take the tiefling out, but Ure was not a fan of killing without clear cut motives... As soon as he felt the blade at his thigh, his entire frame loosened, his muscles going lax... he knew he needed to change tactics. By the time she moved, he had anticipated some form of movement, thus when her head came at his chest, the dark skinned figure moved back effortlessly, just out of reach of the odd attack. The speed at which this all happened left him no room to watch all his motions, not that he would have wanted to avoid her at this point, the uncannily sharp rapier scraped Ardira's neck, leaving a shallow wound that was by no means life threatening, but would bleed and generally not look too good.
"Sorry... I cannot afford another unknown..." His words sounded genuinely apologetic. It took no effort for him to draw on the innate abilities of his drow side. All of a sudden everything went dark around them. Although tieflings could see a short distance even in complete darkness, the fact that Ure was on home turf gave him the edge he needed. The darkness was just a distraction for him to slip into the shadow plane for a short jump. Not even a full second passed from the beginning of the darkness, to the moment the dark figure arrived from the shadow plane right behind Ardira. The portal opened slightly above ground, with the drow holding his rapiers together, as he arrived, he hit hit the back of her head with the ball of both rapiers, just a little harder then he intended...
"Damnit... didn't mean to make her bleed... " Would probably be the last words she heard before passing out...

Ure dragged the tiefling's body from the makeshift door of his quarters. "What am I to do with you?" - He didn't expect a response of course... There were more then enough shackles around the place, it didn't take him long to find a set he could use to shackle her hands together, and to the leg of his massive wooden table. He'd examine the wound he created on the back of her head, and her neck. "Lucky she's got a thick skull... " - The shadowdancer mumbled to himself as he applied an antiseptic salve to the rogue's scalp, holding the wound closed with his fingers, until the salve held the edges together (something that only took a few seconds), then did the same on her neck. Afterwards he grabbed a small wand from his things, bopping her on the head to silence her temporarily... just in case she'd wake up when noone was around... after all, he really had no idea what to do with the rogue...
He needed a moment's peace... stepping out to the corridor, he only saw the usual guard at the junction on the far side... It was time to take the longer route this time... he deliberately headed for the guard and told him to remind Wade that the men were to be ready at sunrise, then proceeded to walk out to the forest... his mind was in a daze, trying to figure out how to salvage the situation... The only thing that made sense to him at this point, was to find his wife, hopefully alongside his feline friend...
Narea watched Chrys depart, flicking her tail in approval. It wasn’t often that she dismissed Nessa’s word, but she was concerned for the woman after experiencing the cave herself. Snorting in defiance, the wolf followed at a leisurely stroll, weaving between the trees using the same path she had left by the night before.

An angry curse directed at the man left Ardira’s lips as the darkness encompassed her. She felt the warm trickle of blood run down her neck; another non-live threatening move by this so-called drow. His unknown motives irked her, throwing off all of her assumptions of the race she had (in truth) very little experience in.

Who the hell are you?” She spat, just before Urebrion made his move. Ardira felt the presence behind her at the exact moment the hilts smacked into the side of her head. A flash of white light encompassed her vision, before her slight frame connected with the stone cold surface that was the cave floor, and she knew no more.

Flowing between the trees effortlessly, Nessa held her bow casually at her side; an arrow held loosely at the ready should she see any sign of movement. Her conscience nagged at her that she was playing with fire where the tiefling’s presence was concerned, but if Urebrion was in the area, well... That mattered more to her. Plus now in a setting that she was happy with, she felt within her comfort zone enough that she could use it to her advantage.

A slight movement up ahead caught her attention, and she silently twisted her back to use the nearest tree in front as cover. As she saw the man before her more clearly, however, a wave of relief passed through her and the elf allowed herself to relax, uttering an audible sigh. “Urebrion!” The relieved exclamation was loud enough for an elf to hear; a human not so much, as she slipped from her hiding place and flung her longbow over her shoulder. She trotted up to her husband, a warm smile across her face as she threw her arms over his shoulders in a warm embrace that would last a couple of moments.

She pulled away enough to give him an affectionate kiss, then gazed into his eyes with a comforted look. “I’m so glad to see you.

Another sigh of escaped her lips, and she glanced around at the surrounding area before turning back to him with an inquiring expression. “What are you doing here anyw- are you alright? You look troubled.” She frowned up at Urebrion’s expression; the man seemed to have thoughts elsewhere.

Ure walked through the forest, this time not really hiding, but rather wanting to be noticed, as he was headed in the direction he had spotted Nessa earlier. Thoughts of whos, whys, and "what-do I do?" cycled through his thoughts in an endless cycle... he was, in fact, so lost in thought, he only realized he was being hugged, when Nessa's lips met his own. As if reality had hit him in the face, he blinked as he realized who it was, and returned the kiss quite passionately, a smile nearing a grin spreading on his face afterwards. He held the elf tight against his frame as he looked into her eyes.
"You took the words right out of my mouth. You've no idea how much I missed you... " For the time being his thoughts focused on the woman, he planted another soft peck on her lips, then squeezed her affectionately, rubbing his cheek against her own softly, closing his eyes and just enjoying her closeness for a moment or two.

"I'm doing a job... well, acting like it... it's complicated... There's some sinister things going on and I want to find out what. It's just been a bunch of dead ends until recently... But... what are you doing here?... I asked Chrys... -and- Narea to keep you away from this area... " One of his brows raised curiously as his eyes opened, and he spotted Chrys in the background. He smirked a little. " But at least he was watching over you..." His head pulled back to look at Ness again, nodding towards the panther behind her, then shook his head slightly as he knew the feline did the best he could. He'd look back at Ness quizzically, waiting for an answer for just a brief moment, yet before she oculd answer, he put a finger on her lips. "Actually... " The drow glanced around cautiously for a moment, just now realizing they had been so close to the caves, anyone could be around to hear what they were talking about. "Not here.... "

He had out of the blue scooped up Nessa's light frame, and perhaps for the first time they've been married, took her along in a shadowjump, passing into the shadow plane seemingly without effort. Everything went dark for but a brief moment or two, dark gray, and faint blue and purple shades characterized the plane that was virtually identical to the real world. The world of shadows ran by in those moments like a barely coloured flash, only to culminate in a bright yellow light as they arrived back, high in the canopy, on a long abandoned walkway that most likely had been built by elves at one point in time.

The drow was tired that much was clear. He sank down on the wooden planks that made the walkway, leaning against the trunk of the tree it was all built upon. Nessa ended up sitting in his lap, whilst his head tilt back against the tree trunk, forcefully breathing deep, to slow down his breathing, whilst the familiar crimson eyes took her features in. "It's been a crazy day... so... what are you doing he-... wait... is that blood?" The shadowdancer reached to try and brush her hair away, so he could examine the wound...

Chrys snorted slightly with his ears perked, he stopped as he saw Ness and Ure meet up. His ears perked high, the creature gave a light scoff at the indirect scolding... pretty much saying 'not my fault... she wouldn't stay put'. As Ure jumped away, the feline gave a quiet growl, just out of habit, while his tail flicked about, deliberately squiggling in front of Narea's face whom he knew was now behind him. The coy taunting was always something the large cat seemingly never grew tired of!
Nessa’s eyes studied Urebrion as he tried to somewhat summarise the situation, a brow slightly raised in confusion. “Complicated? How so?” Upon the mention of Chrys, however, she followed his gaze behind her to see the silhouette of the panther not so far away. She gave the cat a gently scornful expression that said ‘You’re nearly as bad as Ure is’, but couldn’t resist an exasperated smile at the sentiment of the feline.

The elf uttered a gasp of surprise and her eyes returned to her husband, however, as he lifted her so suddenly and easily from the ground. Her grip around the back of his shoulders tightened slightly as they shifted between planes. When the couple came to a stop, Nessa rested her hands on Urebrion’s chest, turning her head to survey the location in awe.

Does no one know this is up here?” She strained her eyes to examine the length of the walkway in the one direction, craning her neck from where she was happily draped across her husband’s lap. She drew her attention back to him as he reached for her hair and winced, but allowed him to do so. “It’s still a bit tender,” Nessa warned, wincing as his fingertips brushed her scalp gently. “I caught some humans attempting to seize a doe against her will, to the east; a little over a day ago. I went to intervene and...” She cringed at the recollection and lifted a hand to her head, where she interlocked her fingers with his; pulling his hand down to rest instead in her lap. “When I came-to, both the doe and Narea were nowhere to be found. I managed to track the strangers to the city, and well... Here I am.

Her expression was a grim one when she finished, her eyes dropping to the duo’s hands. She gave a tired little exhale of breath. A moment passed, the gentle breeze of the canopy sifting through the gaps in the walkway’s details. Nessa suddenly lifted her gaze back to the drow. “You say you asked Narea to keep me away from here... why? And how did you even know she was here?

Nessa rested the side of her torso against his as she asked, her hazel eyes still gazing deeply into his own. The elf was clearly shattered, having given herself no true time to recover from the incident.

Narea sauntered into view just in time to watch the couple shadowjump; and to see the feline’s tail in her face. She gave a low growl to the cat, as she always did when Chrys seemed intent on irritating her. The wolf knew that he did it to tease a reaction out of her, but she could do nothing but oblige.

With a final sniff in the air where Nessa and Ure had last been, the wolf snorted, before taking it upon herself to explore the grounds of the forest a little bit more thoroughly. She wandered past the panther close enough to swat at him with her own tail, before disappearing deeper into the trees, where they grew together more densely.

"I found this place when I first came here.... it's been abandoned... don't know why though... or who built it..." Urebrion muttered as he examined the headwound.
"Damnit Wade seriously?... " The drow muttered under his breath as he located the actual wound, then produced the salve he used earlier. "This might sting a bit Ness..." He tried to be careful in applying a thin layer, then gave Nessa a peck on her cheek. "You should've rested instead of coming here... let's see... I'll explain..." The drow leaned back against the tree once more, eyeing his wife, a bit of uncertainty playing on his face as he produced a flask, and took a sip of the water inside, offering it to the elf. He then took a deep breath, and began to explain.

"See... there's apparently a shortage of prey to hunt around here... it came on quite suddenly. Out of the blue, one day the hunters just found nothing to hunt for... Soon after some of them went missing, their bodies were never found, but seekers did find signs of blood and fighting... it soon got to the point where now there's an actual shortage of meats around Neverwinter, and hunters are afraid to leave their homes. I think I found out why too..." The drow carried on, explaining how he found these people gathering wildlife in numbers, and how he had slowly infiltrated the organization, pretending to be a mercenary. Soon enough he had reached the top of the ranks, and with the 'disappearance' of the last leader, he was now effectively in control. "So... technically... yeah... this sounds bad, but apparently it was "my" men who hit you on the head, and stole Narea... On that note... Chrys found her in the pens actually... so I let her free... and that was when I asked her to keep you away... I didn't want to get you involved..." His head turned away, gazing at the treetops around them, now in the presence of Nessa, he felt guilty, and it probably showed.

"I was very specific in not hurting anyone... they would just raise more suspicion... but apparently you can't teach an old dog new tricks... the mercs all listen to a guy named Wade. He's sort of the oldest in the bunch and they all look up to him. Plus... Narea wasn't even on their list of targets that needed gathering... I mean wolves... they were not supposed to get wolves... but this is all the smaller problem. I could take them out... but there would just be replacements... I think I found why they're doing it though... A necromancer in the slums... I think he wants to become a lich... I met him, and snuck into his lair. It would explain the need for all the animals... which is a more gruesome fate then I even imagined... but... not the quantity... I mean... they took a -lot- of animals... And now there's too many unknowns... I'm a little lost about how to proceed..." He turned towards the elf once more, raising his hands to her cheeks, with a tender caress he turned her head to face him, only to then gently put his forehead against her own, and look into Nessa's eyes with quite some concern, getting lost in her hazel eyes for a few moments.

"Then I saw you as I got out of the city. I asked Chrys to help make you stay until I came back to meet you... see... I found this rogue... or rather she found us... in the cave that I told you about... I've been trailing her from the slums... I think she may have started to trail me, then she lost me after I noticed... but apparently she trailed the lookouts that headed out from Neverwinter... Nevertheless, I found her in my corner of the cave poking around... I had to do something... I knocked her out and silenced her... she's in there shackled up... " The man's eyes closed as he rest there, forehead against Nessa's, taking a deep breath, then sighing as he released it.

"What do I do... I have a merc group I need to hunt down a Dryad and a Medusa with if I want to find out more... I have a rogue element shackled in my 'room', probably ready to wake up and escape. She seemed to know what she was doing pretty well... And a Necromancer who'll end up 'ascending' to lichdom if I do it... but if I don't, we'll never find out what is really going on behind the scenes... and-wait... where's the pelt? Chrys gave it to you didn't he?" A brow furrowed as he suddenly sat up straight, and glanced over Nessa in alarm. "Please tell me you have it... it's an 'ingredient' in the lich ritual I lifted from the necromancer... "

The large feline strolled through the forest lazily, taking more or less the same route as he did when he followed Nessa. He did take a 'pit stop' here and there obviously, but soon found the area where Nessa and Narea met. His nose began to wiggle rapidly as he started to sniff about, disappearing into one of the bushes nearby, creating a rustling sound that probably made any bypassers think there was at least a family of bears going through a raspberry bush. The dang fur was pretty attached to the tiny twigs and branches of the bush!
Giving a small nod, Nessa sat still as he applied the salve. The expression on her face suggested it stung quite a bit, but she didn’t let on. She gave him a soft smile along with her thanks as she took the flask from him; savouring the taste of ‘real’ water as she took a sip. The elf rested the flask on her thigh and sat in silence as her husband recounted the events leading up to where they were now.

She gave the man a scowl when he turned his gaze away from her; she turned his head back towards her with a gentle but firm grasp of his chin, and stared at him. “Ure, those men got me involved when they decided to raise their weapons against me; against Narea. That wasn’t you.” Her tone was blunt.

Her jaw, however, dropped slightly at the name Urebrion then mentioned. ‘Wade... That man Wells, I’m sure he called him that.’ She recalled the human she had tailed from the warehouses in the city; making sure to recognise that face should she see it again. As his story continued, Nessa’s furrowed brow evidently displayed her concern.
A necromancer?” She blinked. “Well, he’s the one that we need to stop, then.” She frowned at the man, catching his expression at the word 'we', and shaking her head abruptly before he could disagree with the notion. “If he’s the one behind all of this mindless slaughter then that’s all that matters; should animals keep disappearing from Faerûn then it’ll have even worse effects than a loss of trade in Neverwinter.

Furthermore, this mention of a rogue... not to mention Urebrion referring to her as 'she'. It couldn’t be a coincidence. “What rogue?” She tilted her head, eyeing him curiously. “What happened?” The elf rose to her feet, passing the flask of water back to him as she did so, and wandered tentatively towards the edge of the walkway, looking down to the ground below to get her bearings.

The pelt is concealed in the shrubbery back down the slope,” the drow would notice her disdain for the item from the way she spoke it. “It’s not going anywhere; back in that direction, I think. Should... it be put up here, perhaps? I doubt anyone else could find it here. Anyway, how much does this rogue woman know? Can’t you ask her?” She turned her gaze back to the man, the stubbornness in her voice evidently displaying her intent in now being a part of stopping the necromancer.

I don’t have any qualms with those humans hunting down a Medusa; with any luck it’ll take a few of the jerks out, but... a Dryad? There ought to be something we can do to stop that from happening.” Her hazel eyes drifted back to look over the forest canopy as she pondered ways that she could assist him, but she was at a slight loss. The situation was a lot more complex than she had first thought.

"It's not that simple Ness... I-Wait... you're not mad at me then?" The drow hopped to his feet, stepped behind the elf and slid his arms about her waist, leaning into her affectionately and resting his chin on her shoulder. "You know... I don't think the necromancer is the only one behind this... I found his lab, but from what I figured, he wouldn't need -that- many animals for himself... there is probably something more sinister in the background."

Hands reaching forwards, Ure slid his fingers along his wife's arms, onto her hands, that he then held in his own. "The rogue?... Well... I just knocked her out... she's okay... but she'll probably have a headache... It was in the cave... I could not have risked being found out... and she wasn't... errmm... willing to cooperate..."

"As long as it's not in plain sight, we're in no hurry... the ritual described it as one of the key elements... but... now that you mention it... it called for a Dryad heart... I don't remember anything about the Medusa being in there..." He paused briefly, then raised a brow at the elf curiously. "I... take it I can't talk you out of joining me hrrm?" A playful smirk appeared on his lips as he locked fingers with Ness, he knew pretty well that once she made up her mind, there was no going back.

"You know something about that woman? We could talk to her I suppose... I can bring her out as soon as it's dark outside, but I had no luck actually talking to her when I tried... " With a sigh, Ure glanced about, and saw something white flashing in the comparative darkness of the ground down below. Raising a brow, he could soon make out the white pelt in Chrys' maw, obviously coming from the direction of Neverwinter. Considering the short time they've been up in the canopy, it could not have been that far either. The panther was trotting about below, sniffing the air, then disappeared again behind a tree. "Looks like he found the pelt... What would you do? Burn it? Or bury it? I mean... how would you respect a creature of the forest that passed best?"

At the same time, in a dark corner of the cave, a painful groan came from the darkness, as Wade was coming to. His room was completely dark, all the candles that were lit had by now burnt off. The man's nose hurt something fierce. As his fingers reached to feel up the situation, he noted that the entirety of his face below his nose was covered in clot blood. When he touched his nose, Wade immediately grunted in pain... it was broken alright... and not just a hairline crack either, he only got any air from his right nostril, as his entire nose was off to the left... "Screw it... I'mma getting the drow to kill those bastards...." Wade mumbled to himself, as he felt around in the dark.

He managed to light a candle and glanced about... in lieu of anything better, he took his knife out, bit down on the leather handle, and with a sickening crackle, pulled his nose back in place. Had it not been for the knife, the scream that he muffled would surely have had everyone running towards his quarters... The man slid to the ground, breathing heavily, the knife fell from his mouth, the handle now permanently bearing the marks of his teeth. "I'll kill those bastards myself... " He decided to stay there for a couple of more minutes before wandering out to the waterhole to start collecting himself...
Nessa glanced surprisedly at Urebrion, realising how he could have taken the tone of her words as much. “Of course not,” she sighed; putting her arms over his, she nudged his head with her own warmly. Her eyes never left the distant trees. “It’s just... You know how I feel about these things. It’s disgusting to think of- Silvanus, I can’t even. The unbalance all of this massacre will cause if nothing’s done.” She tilted her head slightly to the side to look at him. “It’s not going to take long for this necromancer to notice that something important is missing. You know that, right?” She turned to face him and put her arms over his shoulders, a look of concern that soon turned to determination on her face. “You’ll have as much luck talking me out of it as you will telling Narea and Chrys to go five minutes without bickering.

The mention of the rogue, however, made Nessa wince as she recalled that drunken man’s advances; and the sight of the metal blade skewering his throat. She frowned. “I’m not sure. If it’s indeed who I think it is, then she helped me out of... an ‘uncomfortable’ situation. I’m not sure whether I should have been concerned or thankful.” She caught the questioning look that Urebrion was giving her, and sighed as she was hesitant to relive it. Her eyes dropped to the floor. “Earlier, I stopped by an inn for a drink of water. There was this man - he tried to force himself on me; the smell of mead in his breath was unbearable. He was strong, but that woman, she... ‘pacified’ him.” A shiver ran up her spine again at the vision, and she increased her grip around him, drawing comfort from his embrace. “I suppose I should be thankful; if she hadn’t...

It didn’t bear thinking of to the elf, and she closed her eyes, burrowing her face into his chest for a couple of moments. She exhaled deeply, her weariness still showing. When she pulled back enough to look up at him again, she followed Urebrion’s gaze just in time to see Chrys below; her eyes widened in surprise at how on-point the panther was. She made a noise of uncertainty at the question. “I’m not sure; burying would be best, but... if the necromancer will be looking for it, will it be safe to do so?” She turned her eyes back to him, studying his expression.

It was unlike the wolf to roam so near a place she so avidly detested, but as she prowled around the vague area of the cave’s entrance, the faint trace of human travelling away from it’s entrance caught her nose. With her ears perked curiously, she trotted off silently, following the alcoholic scent to the silhouette of a distant figure leaning casually against a tree on the forest’s outskirts.

Keeping her distance, she quietly stalked around until she was sure she was out of the human’s line of sight, but she could still keep an eye on him. Wells, oblivious to the company and considering himself quite clever, audibly counted the box of coins to himself. As he finished, a chuckle escaped his throat and he muttered something about his so-called ‘boss’, enjoying the last vision of him lying unconscious on his room’s floor.

Time to celebrate a damn good haul, I reckon.” He pushed himself off of the tree, casting a glance over his shoulder, before continuing back towards the city via a slightly different route. He never did see the wolf lying silently just out of the corner of his vision; her form covered by a nearby thorn bush, taking note of his chosen path.

"I may not be a common thief, but that doesn't mean I'm bad at it... I didn't leave no clues for sure... " His lips curled to a coy grin as he winked at her, giving her lower lip a soft nip with his own, only for the grin to fade into a frown as she told about what had happened to her. It was not something that often appeared on the face of the dark skinned man.

"I don't even want to think about that... are you saying... that we owe that woman?" The drow gave an odd sounding grunt, at this point he was thankful for the woman... if she was who Nessa thought... but still... what was she doing in the cave... plus she didn't seem all that cooperative...

The man sighed as he glanced up at the now darkening skies, than gave Nessa another short peck on the lips, before completely releasing her from his embrace. "Wait here Ness... I'll be back in a few minutes..."
With that, he took a step one, suddenly sinking into the shadow plane, and jumping away...

Chrys finally found his way up to the canopy. The entrance was hidden well enough in a treet runk. Even though he knew of it, it always took effort for the feline to actually 'walk through a tree trunk'... as usual, he spent several minutes eyeing the one tree he knew lead up there, circling about it multiple times before he could bring himself to actually run into it. While there was no physical discomfort involved, it seemed wholly unnatural to enter the inside of a 'scratching post'...

He arrived to the walkways just as he saw Urebrion step into the plane of shadows. He snort a little, the equivalent of 'he always leaves when I arrive..'. Still, Nessa was there, and that was some comfort... he always did like her ear rubs... the creature padded up nonchalantly to the woman, dropped the pelt on the walkway, and plopped down much less gracefully then expected of his kin... after a moment or two of staring up at her, his fuzzy maw rubbed against her thigh with a murmur demanding attention.

Ure slid back into reality just on the edge of the small clearing by the cave entrance. He glanced about shortly, checking noone was around... he was on home turf, but still, he was about to smuggle someone out of there that should never have been there in the first place! Luckily it was dark now, that made things easier for him. Slipping back inside was near effortless. The drow appeared in his own quarters, where the candles were out. Thanks to his heritage however, that was no problem. He saw everything, including the rogue's limp body. Just out of habit he checked her pulse, making sure she was still out, before unhooking her shackles from his desk. They made no sound. The spell was still active, and that was good.

All seemed to go smoothly enough when on his way out, at the last intersection, the drow froze up, motionless in the dark. He heard Wade yelling with his men just down a side-corridor.

"I WILL HAVE YOUR HEADS HERE AND NOW IF YOU DON'T TELL ME WHERE HE IS! SPEAK!" Wade was frothing at the mouth, his nose the size of a hefty potato. He was still spitting up blood from time to time.
- "But... we're here for the money.. we did-"
- "I don't give a rats ass what you say. He is -YOUR- boss... now speak or I will have your head cut off and shit down your throat!"
Wade was out of it... he kicked the tied up, kneeling man in the face. Whether he was telling the truth or not, he had to know where Wells had gone...
"Where is your hideout?!" He screamed at the man who was now gurgling blood on the floor from his own broken nose. "Fine... bring a bucket of water..." He yelled at his men, then turned back to the prisoners. "I'll drown you bastards if that's what it takes..."

The other prisoners were pretty much shaking in fear in the background. They were after all just lookouts. Not a job that either of them thought would be this dangerous...

Ure listened in on that short bit, with Ardira slung over his shoulders, trying his best to remain silent... he knew Wade was a dick... but he had no idea what was really going down... however he did not intend to stay around with a 'hostage' draped over his shoulder... he could still salvage the situation... possibly..

Stepping silently out of the cave, he was more then a little tired after such a day... he had to save his energy. The best he could do was carry the unconscious rogue right up to the abandoned walkways. He looked up, and jumped through the shadow plane once more to get up there. It was a little too much for the day though, and he couldn't hold it together long enough. He landed on a different walkway with a thud, from almost a meter high in the air, with the rogue landing atop of him with another thud.

"We're here!" The drow laughed a little at his clumsy landing as he raised a hand, waving over to the other walkway where Nessa was with a broad grin.
He rolled the rogue off of himself, though he was breathing heavily, quite exhausted, he did drag her up to the nearest tree trunk into a sitting pose, then flopped down himself, eyeballing the unconscious woman, while Nessa was on her way. The tiefling's wounds had not healed completely, but the salve helped. The wound on her neck was already closed, though the scar was still red and most likely quite sore...
Just... be careful, alright? You can’t deny that when this mage notices the component is gone, he’ll lash out at the ones doing his dirty work.” The elf smiled a little at the man’s confidence; she trusted him when it came to such things, but that wouldn’t dispel the unease she still felt towards the matter.

His query made her pause a moment, a look of uncertainty on her face. Eventually though, she gave a small shrug and nod. “I suppose so, yes.” She watched intently as he stepped away, releasing her gentle grip around the back of his neck. The elf folded her arms as the drow made the jump, feeling in those moments just ever so slightly at a loss with herself.

With a sigh, she ventured back to the trunk of the large tree, and slid down to rest on the platform floor (audibly saying “ow” as she accidentally bumped her head a little against a rise in the bark). She let her gaze wander up to the leaves above her, the subtle hiss as they danced in the evening breeze quite apparent to her elven ears; the thought of resting her eyes for a couple of moments stolen as the soft black fur of the panther brushed against her.

Hmm?” She looked down to the beast, a warm smile on her face at the sight of Chrys. She ran a hand along the side of his face, tickling him under his chin, before continuing her stroke along his side. Her eyes caught a glance of the pelt not so far away on the platform, and she shook her head in awe at the cat. “What would we do without you? Thank you, Crys.” She crossed her legs and sat beside the feline, a hand still gently brushing his fur. “I feel I owe you an apology for before.” Pausing in her petting of the panther, she gazed down into his bright eyes, referring to her temper at the sight of the pelt. Not much of a temper to some, but in hindsight it still meant a great deal to the elf.

Narea had tracked the man as far as the line of the forest, watching for a good long while to see if he would return. She sniffed the air a final time, quite sure that Wills had entered Neverwinter from the same path as before, and silently turned about to continue her patrol of the area.

The man, whistling merrily to himself, returned via the path he had obliviously led Ardira down before, towards the sight of his favourite little bar. He paused at the sight of a couple of guards lingering outside however, and cursed his confusion under his breath. ‘What in the nine hells...’ With a firm grasp of his ‘well earned’ coin, he took a roundabout route towards the kitchen’s side entrance, where the sound of the innkeeper’s gravely voice met his ears.

I already told ye what I know. That fellar was a regular here. I dunno who th’ other two lassies were, but the little hooded one made short work of him. Blade went right through the poor sod’s neck... yeah. Y’know. That’s going to leave a stain, y’know.

Wells raised a brow, waiting until the sound of the guards’ interrogating the man left into the adjoining room. His clumsy footsteps were hardly stealthy in any way, but it was disguised against the noise of passers by, some occasionally stopping to witness the spectacle. He whistled to get the innkeeper’s attention. “Oi! What the hell happened?

Wells!” The old man hobbled over to the ajar window, glancing over his shoulder. “Who th’ hell have you been pissing off?

...Eh?” The man looked at him, a bewildered scowl on his face. The innkeeper leaned closer on his good leg, glancing over his shoulder towards the bar proper.

It’s yer mate Corwyn. Some bitch ran ‘im through.” The old man looked at Wells’s expression, and shoo’d him away from the open window. “Come back lat’r. Guards’re finishing their checks th’now.” The sound of his hobbling footsteps disappeared from the window, and Wells ducked out of eyesight as one of the guards returned to check up on the old timer.

That’s just about us now; thanks for your help, sir... Reswald, was it?” The old man grumbled in response, muttering something about the guards ruining his afternoon almost as much as the death of his client. The man in uniform took his leave, nodding to his coworker that was overseeing the movement of the body. When he was done, the two of them met by the entrance door.

So, what do you think?” The guard in charge of the body’s movement folded his arms, tapping his foot lightly. The other shrugged.

We’ll run the details by the night watch and see if anyone saw anything at or surrounding the time of the attack. At the moment, we’ve got no leads to speak of.” He glanced back towards the innkeeper who was eyeing them curiously, some distance away. Lowering his voice, he leaned in closer towards his partner, motioning for him to do the same. “I feel as though the old timer is hiding something from us though. I get it, it’s his establishment and all. But we should probably keep a set of eyes here just to be sure.” With a nod, the duo left, giving the innkeeper a polite nod as they did so.

Pulling on his helm, one of the guards disguised a troubled expression; he’d have to speak to that night guard to have his suspicions confirmed.

It wasn’t long before the peace was shattered by Urebrion’s - and the tiefling’s - landing. Nessa hopped to her feet, glancing in the direction of the noise to see the two figures in a heap, on an adjoining walkway. A perplexed but amused smile reached her lips at the sight of the pair. “How did you...? Hang on, I’ll find a way across.” She trotted along the walkway until it was at it’s closest to the other; the two being barely 4 meters apart.

With a final glance further down the way to ensure the two didn’t connect entirely (which they didn’t), she hopped up onto the railing and leaped easily to land on the one closest to Ure.

As she approached the pair, she slowed her pace, those hazel eyes never leaving the slight form that was the rogue from the other night. She caught her breath at the sight of the unconscious female; her apprehension clear as she approached her, observing her clothes and features.

Yes, this is definitely her.” She breathed, a finger brushing locks of untidy black hair from her face to better examine her. Nessa glanced back at the drow questioningly at the sight of the scar. “Just “knocked her out?” ” she raised a brow.

The drow was panting almost like Narea after a cross-forest run, but he seemed to be in good spirits… (or just too out of it not to smile and laugh at everything… ). “Is it now?” – Brow furrowed, the man examined the tiefling, making sure her cuffs were still on proper. “Well… I did cut her neck a little… but that was her own fault for trying to kill me… I had to move quick!” His words sounded more than a little defensive now that he knew the half-fiend saved his beloved, yet it did not escape his attention that the shackles did in fact rattle now, indicating the spell of silence he cast had worn off. “Tis mostly healed now though… I couldn’t let her bleed out… “ – Ure said so as he turned to now face Nessa, pushing himself to his feet and walking over whilst digging around one of the many small pouches on his belt with two fingers.

As he walked up to his wife, his hands grasped her own, gently locking fingers with her, whilst his eyes stared into her own. The small blue specks seemed aglow in his crimson irises as he spoke, and Nessa could feel a tiny packet, merely the size of a pebble, pushing into the palm of her right hand. “I don’t know what I would’ve done…” – Voice trailing off, the man’s lips met Nessa’s in a particularily long and passionate kiss. His arms rose slightly to sides, pulling her against himself as he did so.

Having allowed himself to be lost in the moment, the man ended the kiss by ever so gently tugging his wife’s lower lip with his teeth, before murmuring quietly to her. “Use that… It’s a packet of smelling salts… I should probably be out of sight when she wakes…” – His lips were still so close to her own, that they brushed against each other as he did so.

Smiling at her, his hands released her own, and let his right hand’s fingers trail along her abdomen and sides as he stepped past her, easily spotting the most conveniently shadowed spot at the trunk of the tree opposite where he had left Ardira, and sunk to sit down. His eyes then locked onto the rogue, watching what was about to happen intently, whilst his hands came to rest on the hilts of his rapiers, ready to swing into action. Despite the stance though, every muscle in his body relaxed, trying to rest as much as he could… it had been… quite a day after all.

Chrys followed Nessa right after she jumped between the walkways, landing with a quiet thump. As soon as he saw the two kissing though, the animal chuffed in reaction, pretty much rolling his eyes at the mushy stuff, then turned the other direction, running up the nearby tree trunk with ease thanks to his claws, he flopped down on a branch in a rather unorthodox way, all fours hanging in the air, with the branch running along his underside, and his tail coiled around it behind himself, keeping an eye on the tiefling that sat just below him.
“What the bloody hell is going on in this town…” – The captain of the guard slammed her fist on the armrest of his chair. “You’re right… “ – the woman sighed in exasperation – “Post some men in disguise around the tavern… it won’t hurt to pay some of the shadier street urchins for some information either… maybe we’ll find something… or the drow will…“ – motioning with her right hand for the two guards to leave, the woman eyed the report in front of her.
“Yes Lady Emalia… as you command…” – The duo saluted the woman, then turned on their heals, marching out in unison.
“Maker bless us… first the animals, then hunters go missing, and now this guy with a knife through his neck, and no one having seen anything… “ – Emalia tapped her armoured fingertips on the desk in front of herself, looking forward to the drow’s report tomorrow even more now.
Surprise was evident in her face as Nessa stared at Ure, her brow furrowing in confusion. “Kill... you? She tried to kill you?” Her hands grasped his own, yet despite her concerns she returned the kiss, nuzzling the side of his nose with her own affectionately.

Her eyes dropped to the small packet of salts and the feeling of apprehension grew in her stomach. ‘What do I even say?’ Her eyes lingered on the tiefling, and for a moment she just stood, gathering her nerves. With a final glance towards Ure for support, she crouched down beside the woman, and held the small pouch underneath her nose.
Ardira Tinume (played by EarlyGrey)

It took a moment for the salts to take effect, but when they did, Ardira woke with a start; a groan escaping her lips as she rolled onto her side. The elf gave her a little room, unsure still about the figure. The tiefling’s ebony black eyes eventually opened, taking in her surroundings hazily at first. She sighed, a wave of feint curses on her tongue; the Calishite accent quite strong as she did so. A strong ache emanated throughout her slight form; no doubt from the slight fall onto the platform as well as the clatter from landing on the cave’s stone floor.

The cave...’ Ardira scowled, and cursed more strongly as she heaved herself into an upright position. She could feel a strong ache now localised to the nape of her neck. Her dark eyes fell on Nessa, who was watching her intently, and on the small pouch in her hands. An outraged expression crossed her face. “You..? What in the nine hells is going on! Where am I?!” She lifted a hand to inspect the pain on her neck, and cried out in anger when she realised her hands were cuffed together. The tiefling hauled herself swiftly - too swiftly, it seemed - to her feet, and immediately reeled to one side, grabbing the wooden rail of the walkway for support as the blood rushed to her head, and her vision faded momentarily. “Speak!” She spat, despite herself.

The elf, hesitantly rose as if to steady the petite woman, but obviously thought better of it and just stood, fumbling with the small pouch in her hands. “I... my name is Nessa. You’re not far from Neverwinter, or... the cave, where you were last.” She resisted the urge to look back towards Urebrion, and simply motioned over the side of the high platform.

As the tiefling’s vision returned and the dizziness subsided, she scanned the drop below - too far to make a safe landing, in any case. Her eyes returned to the plaform, and she glared at the elf with a scrutinising gaze. “I don’t care what your name is.” She muttered, and gradually made to walk past her. Nessa stepped in front of her, a stern look on her face.

Wait. I’d like to ask you something.

Ask me?” The woman hissed, her anger beginning to bubble. “And what makes you think I’m in any mood to be of assistance to you; some silly elf who can’t even navigate the inside of a tavern’s bar? Get out of the way.” She moved to push Nessa from her path, but her eyes fell on the silhouette of the drow a small distance away, and she recoiled defensively from his direction. “YOU!” She pointed a finger in his direction; her other hand raising along with it only angered her further. Another particularly nasty curse left her lips as she stepped backwards, her hands desperately testing the strength of the cuffs.

Nessa simply observed the tiefling concernedly, and with a glance over her shoulder to where Urebrion was sitting silently, she cast him a ‘how am I supposed to talk to this person’ look.

The panther above Ardira let out a low, visceral growl as she moved so suddenly, a deep, dry sound that pretty much rumbled the cool air around them like a shockwave. The feline’s legs drew up, sinking his claws into the branch slowly, ready to jump should there be trouble. From the height he was at, it would have been no trouble to jump even as far as his dark skinned friend sat.

Urebrion eyed the scene quietly from the background, staying silent, but smirking at Ardira’s reactions to being awakened… much more so when she talked down to his wife. The man let out a grunt as he was spotted. He shook his head slightly as he noted Nessa’s questioning look, then spoke in a very calm, measured tone, quite different to what she heard in the cave…

- “Me… Yes… I would suggest you calm down and let my wife ask her questions… I don’t intend to hurt you further… I didn’t intend to in the first place… but you stumbled onto something… delicate… and there are people who would’ve been sad if you managed to tear out my artery…“ – The man shook his head some, then sighed. “You are outmatched… and my friend wouldn’t like you hurting either of us either… “ The man’s head nodded behind her, towards the panther that was now laying rather tense on his branch, ears perked, pointing directly at Ardie. “As it happens, I am immensely grateful that you didn’t let my love get into… trouble… in that tavern in the slums… Be sensible and talk… we may come to an… arrangement… that is if you can convince me you can be trusted… “ – The man’s eyes narrowed, pretty much glowing crimson in the dark, especially visible now that the sun almost completely set and darkness started to settle.

“… I would also appreciate it if you told me who you were, and what you were doing in my camp… who you work for… “ Ure’s eyes were fixed on the tiefling, mainly her cuffed hands. He knew the shackles were bolted tight, and he did make sure she had nothing else on her, but it was habit… he inspected Ardira’s every move, actually finding the speed at which she jumped up admirable considering she had gotten a near concussive blow just a few hours ago…
Padding along the forest floor, Narea made her way back to the scent of those familiar to her; pausing here and there for signs of any other troublesome humans. She arrived at the foot of one particularly large tree; the familiar rumble of Chrys drawing her attention upwards. Ears perked, she emitted a frustrated whine, having apparently no way to reach the spectacle above.

Circling the tree, her bright eyes kept watch for any telltale signs of trouble.

Ardira glanced upwards towards the panther, but quickly returned her immediate attention to Urebrion. The angered expression softened slightly at his words, however, and she glanced between the pair as a sneer spread it’s way across her face. “Hold on a second... your ‘wife’?” She scoffed, glancing between the pair. Nessa folded her arms, confused at the humour in her voice.

You’re married? To... him?” And incredulous laugh burst from her mouth, but it quickly subsided, that smirk still clear as day on her face. “What kind of... ‘drow’ are you? Or should I even call you that?

Back off!” Nessa snapped, the tiefling’s words teasing a nerve in the elf. She didn’t much mind the woman being rude to her, but she wouldn’t stand for her being rude to him.

Ardira threw her hands up defensively as her smirk faded. “Hey, at first I must say I was surprised. Grabbing me by surprise round the neck like that, as I was minding my own business? Very ‘polite’ of you - yeah ask your husband about that one.” The tiefling snapped, as she shifted her stance to glance down at her frame, and the empty hilts on her belt. ‘The gods damn you both.’ She grudgingly thought, aware that she was completely against all odds. Running her bicep across the side of her breast, she realised she was completely unarmed.

Look - we just want to know what you know about this ‘creature’ situation, here in Neverwinter.” Nessa’s voice had returned (almost) to normal, but the hint of a shake in it still told of her anger. She refused to be baited by the tiefling’s words. “Were you hired by someone? What brought you to that cave?

I don’t work for anyone, elf.” Ardira grumbled, slouching back against the barrier behind her. “And I don’t work with anyone, either. So just let me go.” Ebony eyes bored into the pair; practically polar opposites of Urebrion’s which gleamed in the dark. By comparison Ardira’s encompassed the surrounding blackness, even darker than the shadows they stood in. She held no reserves about the man’s forte, and knew well that he was watching her every move intently - so she had no intentions of trying to reach for the lockpick in her back pocket.

As far as she was concerned, she’d reached a stale mate.

Ure shook his head lightly. “Sssh. It’s okay Ness… “ He tried to soothe the young woman, even to his own surprise, he handled the situation with incredulous calm, turning to Ardira. “If you think me drow, then I may be a drow for you... there's no changing one's opinions if they judge without knowing... Nevertheless… you were trespassing in my lair… what were you expecting? A kiss? No thanks…” The drow snickered quietly… he was obviously too tired… using such dumb jokes…

“Just tell me what you were looking for… I might just help you… To put it blunt… your presence was in my way.” The man stood slowly, and walked over, eyeing Ardira somewhat mockingly, only to slip an arm around Nessa, and give her a soft peck on her lips, mostly out of spite for the tiefling’s comments… not that he had any qualms about doing so otherwise…

Chrys seemed to ease some, he was fairly certain things were in control now, and with a quiet thud the large cat landed right behind Ardira. The feline nonchalantly pressed his nose against the tiefling’s behind, taking her scent and letting out a quieter growl then before. This was obviously not the goal of the feline, as right after molesting the tiefling's rear-end, the panther lounged over the railing of the walkway, jumping to a nearby branch, then another, heading down to the ground, where he’d land behind Narea! The cat gave the wolf’s maw a playful lick, then ran off towards the tree leading up…
Rair Evrion (played by Rattanee) Topic Starter

Rair walked right amongst the arguing people, leaning close to the drow first, examining his horns curiously from several angles as he listened to the conversation quietly… "Greater Sanctuary is such a great spell for spying…" - the man thought to himself, then stared into the other man’s eyes, curiously staring at the blue specks littering the man’s crimson iris. “Most interesting… More than drow... he is experienced... and powerful... Ardie... you sure know how to pick'em...” - he thought, sniffing the dark skinned man in a catlike manner. The 'drow' was pretty much looking at Ardira straight through Rair.

The rakshasa then turned to eye Nessa, stepping close to her, but not paying near as much attention. Except for her bust, taking a brief few moments to indulge his male side in the sight of the young elf’s cleavage. "Delightful... considering her size... still... just an elf... " - he thought. Nessa probably felt a chill run through her, as the ethereal, invisible figure of the man literally walked through her in order to step right behind Ardira. “You haven’t changed a bit beautiful….” - His index finger ran softly against the woman's cheek as those thoughts ran across his mind, though he was merely pretending he could touch her... He waited… he wanted to know what was going on…

He heard the panther thump down on the walkway, and furrowed a brow as the cat's head virtually poked through his abdomen, then proceeded to sniff Ardie's butt. "They do have interesting friends.... " - he thought to himself, yet as the panther jumped off the walkway, he eased up. There were no more obstacles in the way of a speedy save... he knew he couldn't bring his plans to fruition without the assassin, and it was time to act... still... what was she doing here... he had to know! The drow didn't really interest him, neither did the elf, he was there only because of Ardira, and knowing was always a tactical advantage!

As soon as he heard Ardira's response though… the masterful raksasha called on his innate powers, and effortlessly cancelled the spell. Out of the blue, a handsome man stood behind Ardira, letting out an almost playful growl, that sounded much like a tiger’s. “ ‘ello there beautiful… “ The man almost seemed to not care about the presence of the elf or the ‘drow’, and out of the blue, stuck his tongue out, running it against the rogue’s right cheek. The sensation was hauntingly close to being licked by a feline… The man then turned to the drow.

- “Do excuse us… I don't meant to intrude, but I need the lady’s services… “
A broad, fanged grin followed from the man at the two, as his arms suddenly slid around Ardira’s waist, and before even she could object, they both vanished from sight… of course they were still there… on the walkway… with the other two, but they were now out of sight, both of them invisible, and ethereal as far as the world around them was concerned. “Missed me hun? “ The man grinned still as he turned to Ardira, raising a brow at her.
Nessa frowned at the tiefling; it took a fair amount to anger the elf and yet here she was - at least twice that patience had been tested that day. “Are all tieflings so detestable?” She muttered in the elven tongue, her eyes never leaving the woman. Her gaze drew back to Ure as he gave her the small kiss, with a ‘you don’t need to prove anything’ look, before glaring back at Ardira; she gave the man’s hand a gentle squeeze in return.

You don’t have to be so defensive.” The elf sighed, speaking again in the common tongue. It was at that moment, a cold chill passed through her being and down her spine

Ardira, meanwhile, brushed off the couple’s intrusive questions with her customary scowl, glaring incredulously at Urebrion. “Yeah and you were in mine.” She muttered, almost inaudibly. She rolled her eyes as Ure kissed Nessa. Trust a drow; even one such as he?

‘Defensive’?” She snapped back at Nessa angrily, again testing the strength of the cuffs around her wrists, making a point of shaking them noisily. “Well shit I wonder why, moron.

Taking an immediate step forward towards the tiefling, and away from Ure, Nessa did so simply to make a point of shaking the rogue’s nerves a little. She was happy to see it succeeded, even if that meant simply robbing the woman of the smirk on her face, after her last words. “We’ll take them off when you cooperate.

So take them off and I will.” Ardira replied without hesitation. Again, a silence fell between the two women as they exchanged a judgmental stare. ‘They must think me a fool.’ The tiefling mused, shifting her position forward from the walkway just slightly and glancing along the path’s length. It was clear that making a break for it was even too risky; the couple obviously knew the path better than she, and not to mention that damnable ability of his. That spell of darkness... she made a mental note to be ready for it the next time, but the reasons for the drow’s speed that last time eluded her still. Being dependent on agility herself, that fact angered her more than any.

Nessa turned back to glance at Urebrion, shrugging her shoulders at a loss. “Would she be true to her word? I can’t see what she could do when she’s unarmed.” She spoke in elven again; a fact that also irked the tiefling.

Ardira grumbled something about being ‘rude’, followed by a disgruntled “Ugh!” as the panther knocked into her behind, and whirled around briefly to see the cat’s tail disappear over the edge of the walkway. She was quick to return her gaze to the pair; the distrust evident in her composure (or lack thereof).

The wolf, already alert, heard Chrys as he landed, and whirled to meet the feline. A growl escaped her, however, when the cat licked her maw. Why was it when she was in the panther’s company, she always ended up caked in cat drool? With a derisive snort, she took chase after him; slowing only a little at the sight of the hollow tree, before barging like the headstrong wolf she was through the tunnel’s entirety.

When she reached the top, she saw the figures of Ness and Ure in the distance, on the adjacent walkway, and slowed down almost to a stop, a particular scent reaching her nose that she was at a loss with. She saw the figure of Ardira near the elves not that far away, and glanced towards Chrys in front of her, her head tilted to one side with intrigue. Was it the tiefling? She padded closer, her eyes scanning for signs of a bridge or connection between the two walkways.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Of Men and Beasts... (Private)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus