Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Sci-Fi, Fantasy and "Zombie" Apocalypse collide.

Okay, this is an old idea I had that recently came to mind again, so I thought I'd toss it out to see if anyone was interested in the premise before I actually put any effort into setting it up. As such, details might be a little sparse... but I'll try to cover the main stuff.

Basic plot: It starts with a group of space pirates investigating a planet listed as dangerous and uninhabitable while seeking a new place to set up their base. Their scanners show it has a breathable atmosphere even though it's supposed to be a dead gaseous husk of a world. Next thing they know, they're getting blasted to pieces by a defense grid they'd overlooked since they didn't think to check for one in the first place. The ship crash-lands onto the planet, right in the middle of a deserted town that looks like something out of the middle ages.

Setting: The planet itself is, for the moment, a fairly typical medieval/fantasy setup with pretty much any race you can think of/want to use available on it, magic's available to the locals, the usual. Oh, and then there's the virus that ran rampant on the planet and wiped out or infected over 90% of the population. Which reduces the infected individual to nothing more than a mindless killing machine. Not undead mind you, hence the quotations in the title, but just corrupts their minds to the point they're nothing but monsters. As you might expect, there's no known cure, or cause for that matter. A vaccine was fabricated, however, which is probably the only reason there are still pockets of survivors here and there.

Character Entries: Probably obvious, but for Sci-Fi characters they could arrive either as part of the pirate crew, a prisoner aboard the ship, or as someone that survived their own ship being shot down previously. Fantasy characters would most likely be survivors of the epidemic, though I'm sure there are some that could easily fit into a ship crew.

Goal: This is more or less up to the characters that get involved. They could search for a way off the planet, maybe by repairing a ship, but there would still be the defense grid to worry about. Could seek a cure too, but since the origin is unknown in the first place it wouldn't be easy. Another option would be to just try and survive, which is probably just as much of a long shot. Suppose it would be over when a group either breaks quarantine, cures whatever it is, or everyone dies horribly. Speaking of which...

Death: This is one of the main reasons I scrapped the idea before, since I didn't know of RPR at the time and likewise didn't know many forum RPers. What was the point of a setup like this if nobody died horribly? Not sure how I'd set this part up yet, but I was thinking people could use two characters at a time if they liked, and somehow drop in another if one of those two is killed and they wanted to keep going. To be fair, whoever got the axe would have to be figured randomly, plus because the most unpredictable death can be the most entertaining. So, if I do set this up and you're really interested in joining, you should be prepared for any character you drop in to face a sudden gruesome end.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Questions? Comments? Others with slightly sadistic attitudes towards their characters well-being giddy by the idea? (Gosh I hope so, I'd rather not be the only rather evil one about.)
Oooooh, this looks amazing. Of course having a character die wouldn't be the end-all for me.

Cody Wesson would make an excellent Sci-Fi crew member--or perhaps a prisoner since he's kind of the leader of an underground uprising. He is very good with a gun---assuming that he doesn't run out of bullets.

I could also throw in a villager or two or three for the "locals". Either Nathan or Arien would work; maybe Kate. I'd just need to tweak some stuff so that it's more...uh...accepting to the sci-fi element (but that's more of a matter of characterization than background).

Again, character death wouldn't bother me so long as I have another character to fall back on. :) And hey, if I run out, it would be fun while it lasted. *starts plotting potential character deaths*
Yuka

I've got a mercenary who I was bordering on scrapping (Hramn) that I could use for this o: He's a futuristic/scifi mercenary.
Kim Site Admin

This RP sounds fascinating! A perfect candidate for the use of dice, too, I think.
Ohh, this does sound pretty epic.
Actually, I just created a scientist character who might be able to help find a cure...! :D He'd fit easily enough into the setting.
Rosewood Topic Starter

@Pen: That's surprising and a bit of a relief. Seems to me like most people don't like the idea of killing off their characters, even if it doesn't have to be permanent. Your scientist seems interesting too. If he can make mice like that, I'm sure a cure wouldn't be too much of a feat. Provided he can stay alive long enough to make one. ;)

@Dis: Sounds like he'd be a good addition. I was trying to make the setting as open as possible for anyone interested, after all.

@Kim: Holycraptheresahonchointhethread. *cough* I mean, thanks Kim. :D I think you're right about the dice, too... been toying with different ideas of how to set up a hit system using them. Hopefully it won't end up getting too convoluted, but with my screwy mind that might be difficult to avoid.

@Ami: Ohh, epic? Thanks. :) Really though, I was just going for something along the lines of a slaughter. Don't see those in RPs often enough... at least I don't. Maybe I just overlook the bloodbath-laden ones somehow.

Well, I'd say that's more than enough interest to warrant building on it. (Really one person would have been plenty for that, but the more the merrier~) Guess I should start piecing together some better world details then, among other things.
Minerva

I can't join due to time, but wanted to throw in: I love when people are willing to let characters die. Pretty crappy drama potential if everyone just stays immortal together forever. I kill/retire my characters semi-frequently. There has to be an end to a journey somewhere. :x it's mature of players.
I'm now enamored with the idea of this! I have a technomatic dragon that sounds like it'd be ready for the butchery in here.
Rosewood Topic Starter

Okay, I know it's like a month later, but I just got around to setting it up and felt making a new topic would just be daft. So, for those previously interested and newcomers that missed the topic the first time around, here's the newly group made for this old RP idea: http://www.rprepository.com/g/strain

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Sci-Fi, Fantasy and "Zombie" Apocalypse collide.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus