Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Needed to Rant...

Okay, so I'm sure everyone has heard of the new fad of 'adoptables'. Well recently I tried getting into it on DeviantART and bought one. Then one more, and was out of points (points I bought with real money).
I was so happy I had began to sketch them out and everything.

So the next day I log on, and guess what? Turns out the one adoptable I adopted was stolen, I have to unclaim it, and I get NOTHING.

Wonderful fricken mood now. People SELLING stolen things...
I was just trying to get into it, and was enjoying it.. dunno if I'm gunna be able to get over my first bad experience.
what the heck? That person should give you your money back :( I know The Lily does adoptables a lot, maybe she can direct you to some more...reputable dealers. That really sucks :( what a horrible thing to have happen on your first time trying something new!
Amirrora Topic Starter

Yah for sure. And maybe I'll send her a message... for next time I feel like trying.
I'm a DA'er, but I've no clue what an adoptable is. Maybe it's because it's a drawing thing, and I can't draw worth a lick? (I'm a photographer, in the loosest sense of the term... haha.)

However, sounds like your situation sucks, and bad people need to be poked with large, pointy sticks. I'm sorry to hear that yours was stolen from you, and that you had a bad experience trying something new. I hope it doesn't put you off from trying it again though, if it's something that you are truly interested in!
I was thinking of doing chibi adoptions, but I'm not really sure of the process really.

As for Selling on DA, I usually rarely buy from anyone there for art, unless I am absolutely sure they drew it themselves.
Amirrora Topic Starter

It's a thing where you design a character, and sell/offer it to someone else to 'adopt' and make their own Cassie. It's really fun. And yes, those people need to be poked with pointy sticks. :)
I did end up trying again and had some fun.

And Foedus, I started my own adoptable account, if you like I can help you get started?
And I love DA for commissions, chatting, and sharing art. It's halfsies on adoptables.
Adoptables is a hidden world in dA. You don't notice it unless you accidentally stumble upon it. I was on dA for two years before finding out about them.

They're also definitely a double-edged sword. Thieves are incredibly more common in the adoptable word. You should be thankful you didn't lose 200-300 points like some people I know by a thief I just busted.

The best thing to do is always check the account. See if the art matches up with other art, and see how old the account is. My thief I busted was really stupid. He made a plz account his adoptables account, and then said his main account was on another website but it was down because he hadn't paid the bill for it. Plus his spelling and typing was atrocious. I told the other people who had commented/bought his stuff about my suspicions, someone found the original artist, and I contacted her.

Whatever you do...DON'T make a thief public. If you write a journal about your frustrations, be vague and don't give out the username. Making a thief public will make people spam him and make him deactivate his account before the dA staff can do anything. The best thing to do is what I did above. If the original artist reports the work, it will be seen to much faster.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Needed to Rant...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus