Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Mental Illness and Roleplay

For my Shizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder, i take a massive amount of prescribed Respiridal. but i know it isn't a perfect Solution, because i still get some breakthrough, just not as bad as if i didn't take the medications.

for my high functioning Autism, i found Caffeine seems to help me focus my attention span enough in the short term long enough for roleplaying. but i found that i tend to go through a lot of Coffee, Tea and Soda.

i am still extremely socially awkward, even with a good amount of Caffeine, but at least with a Venti Salted Caramel Mocha Frappe, or a whole pot of Oolong Tea, i can at least be comfortable enough to speak, despite my awkwardness. i mean, i creep others out with my disorders in public, but i feel less anxious and less nervous with a good amount of caffeine. without it, i am literally coming up with trillions of useless ideas every second.
Sanne Moderator

XQK wrote:
I haven't looked to see if it's the case here, but the benefit of anyone who hasn't posted and the benefit of those this might fit...

Go. See. A. Physician.

It's extremely common in communities, especially role play sites, for folks to latch onto a post like this. They gather together, post their issues, pat each other's backs, and then continue to pretend they're managing their mental illness. Every time, there's a group of people who insist they "don't do doctors" or "don't do medication." A fair few insist weed is the only medication they need.

It doesn't work.

I strongly sympathize with this and I do encourage everyone to try and find professional help, but I also think it's important to acknowledge this isn't viable for everyone. See my post from yesterday on this matter.

Edit: Roleplaying also can be a viable coping mechanism. Sometimes managing mental health issues can be as simple as having a creative outlet. It also includes taking care of not-so-fun self care activities, but I think discouraging people from pursuing creative outlets is not constructive. It's what my group therapy strongly focuses on, and it has incredible benefits. If you don't have access to professional help then it can keep you going and make connections with people who can help you.
My biggest concern is medical and mental diagnosis isn't easy, people who aren't trained have a HIGHER chance of messing up than therapists or psychiatrists, I'm diagnosed by professionals and on meds. They may not always know what is comfortable or works for me but they are willing to let me make deals with them on working within my comfort zone on getting to where they need me. People who self-diagnose I always have a hard time believing because of the fact I don't know if they have understood the guidelines for diagnosis and the like, especially with mental health.
CapnBekah_TightPants Topic Starter

Some what shameless plug here

I have a YouTube channel, which can be found here.

I only have 3 videos at the moment, but I do plan on posting more. My goal with my channel is to bring light to the world of Mental Illnesses. One of my videos is slightly over 20 minutes, but it talks about different Mental Health issues.

It would really help me out if you could go look or share the channel. It might also help you or someone you know that deals with Mental Health to know how to deal with your/their symptoms in other ways than what are already being used.

I want all you guys to know that
You is Kind, You is Smart, and You is Important!!

Yes, I just quoted The Help. But it always helps me when I'm feeling down to the remember that line. <3 <3 <3
mild autistic, ADHD, Dyslexia some say i have Asperger but we are not fully sure and a few other writing learning difficulties

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Mental Illness and Roleplay

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus