Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » New Beginnings (Open To All)

Amber Cambridge (played by CapnBekah_TightPants)

[Just a set up. If any one actually wants to RP this out, give me a shout.]

The young female mechanic walked into the Diesel shop she had been calling her home away from home for the past three months and sighed lightly. Amber had grown tired of the same meaningless tasks she had been given -those typical of a woman in any other sort of establishment, the tasks of a typical woman. The boss and owner of the shop had seen it fit to make Amber's sole duty 'Parts Washer' simply because he felt she was too weak to lift anything heavier than a ratchet set. Little did he know, that Amber had been coming in early every morning and taking about what he had been working on the day before. He had yet to figure it out because it had been part of Amber's job requirements that she come in before the rest of the shop and set out their newly cleaned parts. Sometimes, she gave them the wrong part, just to see if they had noticed -many did not- and when she would walk up to any of her co-workers that happened to be working next to their boss, she would inform them that they were working with the wrong part and hand them the correct one, saying sheepishly "I guess I put it in the wrong spot on your box."
Her mother would have called her foolish for allowing a man to treat her this way, her father on the other hand called her a genius. It was because of her cunning actions that Amber had been at the shop for the three months. Originally, Amber and her employer had only agreed on her being there for a month and a half, a trail run so to speak. If he felt that she wasn't up to the tasks set before her, she would be let go. But, the fact that she was correcting the men that had been there longer than she had been -to get ahead of them because she had had the training and the know how- her boss had decided to keep her and see if she could continue doing this.

Sometimes, Amber would stay late and work on a particular co-worker's current task. This co-worker was the man that had gotten her the interview. Had he known that this was how Amber would have been treated, he surely wouldn't have helped her; but he knew that she needed the experience before she could move on, so he bit the bullet and did what he could. Every week, after cashing his pay check, he would give Amber a fourth of his pay, he had felt it was the least he could do for setting her up in a dead end position and for all the help she had been giving him.";
Clutch (played by PenGryphon2007)

(A perfect opening--so I'm taking it.) ;)

A tow truck pulled into the Diesel shop hauling a mangled, dirty Buick that looked more tan than red. All four tires were flat, the front axle looked slightly askew, and the front windshield was cracked. The front bumper was pretty crushed as well, though somehow the engine was still in working condition.

The tow truck driver stepped out to lower the buick to the ground. "He's your problem now," the driver grumbled before climbing back into his truck and escaping the shop.

The crumpled red Buick had obviously seen better days, but for the moment it sat silently in the yard. A key dangled in the ignition; the engine idling. The car was otherwise silent.
Amber Cambridge (played by CapnBekah_TightPants) Topic Starter

[Sorry it took me so long to post back. x_x Dealing with some stupid insurance company crap.]

Amber's boss looked at the Buick and sighed, he figured that this was probably going to be the only thing he could make Amber decide to leave the shop by forcing her to work on, so he just told her to do it.

"Pretty obvious, don't bother with the R.O. just get it done and out of the way." His gruff tone always pissed her off, which made her want to take her time -as if she didn't already. Amber pulled a repair order sheet from the cabinet, placed it on a clip board and set about her current task, finally happy to get her hands dirty because of working on her own vehicle instead of someone else's parts.

"Alrighty, let's see what we have here." Amber always talked to the car or truck when she worked on it, she knew that they couldn't answer back, but it just helped her figure out what to do that much quicker. Since she had been dealing with greasy Diesels all morning, Amber took her gloves off before dealing with this Buick. She ran her left hand along the driver side fender, her eyes closed, as she got to the door.

"With everything that's broken, how in the world are you still running?" She asked, more to herself than the car really. She noticed the key in the ignition and smirked, "Your owner must of been pretty dumb, I imagine." Like she had done in school, Amber sat down next to the car and worked on the R.O.

(Oh dear, irony much? Hope it gets resolved soon.)

Clutch remained quiet, his internal processors damaged slightly but causing a delay between input and output.

His blinkers flashed and then stopped, while he tried to assess himself and failed. No doubt the warning beeps coursing through his system were jamming up further input.

After a significant delay, he finally heard the comment. He chose to reply; the voice coming from the speakers was filled with static. "It wasn't my driver; it was the idiot lemon in front of me."

[No, ironic is seeing a red Buick on the back of a flat bed on my way home from dropping off my dad.]

Amber blinked when she finally heard the reply; in truth she thought she was going crazy. Amber rose her brow for a moment, set her clip board and pen down next to her and sighed softly as she got to her feet. It was late enough in the day that all the other workers had gone on their breaks, but Amber had rarely taken one, so she was alone in the shop.

"Did... Did you just talk?" Amber couldn't believe the words had come out of her mouth to a car, but they had. She felt like this was just a joke, it certainly would explain why her boss and told her to forget the R.O. and just to get on with getting the thing out of the way. She thought for a moment, placed her hand on the door handle of the driver's door and rested her other hand on the frame for the window.

"I need to get your mileage, if that's okay?" She truly could not believe that she was talking to the car! How crazy did she have to be to really think that the Buick was really talking to her. Granted, the static could have just been from a radio broadcast, that sort of thing happened a lot, right?

"It depends," answered Clutch. "Are you a mechanic?"

But the fact that she had asked before doing anything had helped. And if she needed to know his mileage, that he could provide easily. "Mileage is two hundred thousand, five hundred and thirty-eight miles." What? It wasn't like he'd driven ALL of that. The Buick had had some insane number even before Clutch had been installed in it.

"I've only driven about a hundred thousand miles," he added for her sake--though that was sure to confuse her even more.

Amber blinked softly, she had had it instilled in her from day one of her training at the technical college that she was a 'Technician' not a Mechanic, though she truly thought of herself as the former rather than the ladder.

"Technically, yes I am. But I also deal with computers and wiring and stuff. And, frankly, by the looks of you, I might have to rewire you from front to back." The last comment was muttered, she hated wiring jobs, the diagrams were never easy to follow, even if she highlighted the wire she was trying to find. When the number was rattled off, she was caught off guard.

"Whoa whoa whoa, slow down. Stupid girl here, can't write that fast." Amber always degraded herself, it was a nasty little habit that she had always hoped she'd grow out of, but never had. Truth be told, she had some how figured that the second number was from this 'driver' and the voice she was talking to. She also hoped that no one came into the shop to find her talking to the car and think she was going bat shit.

Clutch spasmed at the re-wiring comment. His window wipers somehow managed to work and they scraped across his windshield. His headlights flashed twice, but the left front was out.

"Do not rewire me! I didn't do anything to need rewiring!" If he had had window washer fluid that would have sprayed out--but he seemed to be out.

"You rewire me and I can't be held responsible for my actions--we clear?" he demanded, before restating his mileage, more slowly, for the 'technician'. "I said it's two hundred thousand, five hundred thirty-eight miles."

"Many thanks." Amber nodded softly as she wrote the number down.

"As for rewiring you, if I can get away without doing it, I damn sure will." She noted the left headlight being out on the R.O. "What actions might those be, actually?" Amber had found herself completely uncaring of the fact that she was actually talking to the car like it was the customer -though she had always felt that the car was the true customer.

Clutch paused when she asked the question. And then hesitated. He'd never been asked before--just threatened into good behavior. "Well, uh, I'll spray window washer fluid usually--but I'm out. And I'll try to get oil everywhere. And if I need to, I'll refuse to get on the lift." He settled meekly onto his tires realizing that his behavior wasn't just painful for the mechanic, but delayed his getting fixed.

"Look I'll be good, just don't mess with my wiring. I've got sensitive stuff inside my engine that I don't need to be crosswired."

[So sorry about taking this long to get back to you. Being 6 months pregnant and all is a wee bit hard on the RPing. But that's no excuse!]

Amber noted the lack of windshield washer fluid on the repair order as well while the car spoke to her. Sighing lightly, she forced herself to focus on the task that she had been given, getting him back on the road as quickly as possible.

"Okay, we both want the same thing it seems. To get you back out there as quick as I can. So, to do that, I need you to behave." She thought for a moment, "I will try my very best to make sure that I don't have to rewire any of your components, but I think I might have to do some here and there in your trunk at least."

Amber rubbed her face for a moment and looked at his tires. "First off, we aren't getting you anywhere with those, and I refuse to ruin your rims. I can put crap rims and tires on you for now, if you want, just to get you on the lift."

[Oh wow--congrats on the pregnancy! And you're allowed to have off days.;)]

Clutch sighed, blasting static through his speaker. "Fine. But only in the trunk." The AI computer chip, the size of a small flashdrive was located between the engine and the steering wheel.

He hesitated for the crap rims. "If it's not that far to the lift...you don't have to go through all that effort. I can make it a few feet without crippling my rims." He appreciated the thought, but more than that, he was vain and didn't want to wear the so-called 'crap rims'. Not that he could put up a fight...since his washer fluid was out.

[...I have spent far too much time ignoring you, and I am truly sorry. x_x Siiigh.]

Amber pointed at the lift; the tow truck had just plopped Clutch at the door and the lift that she was going to be using was at the other end of the shop. "I can put two on in your rear, and then pull you over on a jack. It'll be difficult on me, but I honestly need something to show these assholes I can hold my own."
She didn't want Clutch to feel like he was going to be her 'meal ticket' in a way to get the guys in the shop to finally accept her, but it was the truth of the situation.

Clutch was quiet for a moment, contemplating. "Fine," he sighed. But it was her added comment that made him actually chuckle

"Most mechanics are," he replied. "Except there are a select few who might be worthwhile. I know of one, and..." he hesitated briefly before adding, "You might be another. But that remains to be seen," he added quickly as though embarrassed.

Besides, he understood what it was to be the 'underdog' that everyone scoffed at. He enjoyed spewing exhaust in their faces when they underestimated him. And frankly, he liked helping others do the same.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » New Beginnings (Open To All)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus