Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New widget: Active roleplays

Sanne Moderator

To help me keep track of my roleplays, I created the following page:

http://www.rprepository.com/c/daft/27367

I was thinking maybe we could have a widget that automatically displays all the topics a character is roleplaying in. The interface may be a little problematic, but maybe there is an option when you post or reply as a certain character, similar to the collapsible dice option.

You could mark the topic (in IC forums only) as "Ongoing roleplay" or "Finished roleplay", and it gets updated automatically in the widget. There could also be an option "Delete topic from widget" if you don't want it listed anymore at all.

If a roleplay topic is deleted, the entry in the widget should get deleted too of course.

I like this idea myself and would definitely make use of it because I can be a chaotic mess when it comes to keeping track of RP topics (and updating a profile manually for this can be such a pain). People who view the character profile are presented with a quick way to check out the roleplays and emerge themselves in the character development.

Thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?
I don't know how this would work out with the technical aspect, but I really love this. Because when I get busy for a few days, I lose total track of my roleplays and have to go through each RP forum, through endless pages, to find my RPs again.
I think the "Recent Activity" widget does at least in part what is described here. But I do like the idea, even though Sanne's manual application of the idea in a normal text widget seems to fulfil its function very nicely too. Of course, the manual option is not as automated as desired, and subject to mistakes.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

The recent activity widget has too much other content to do what I'd like, even if it does contain these. And players might not want that specific widget because of that info. :)

But it's a good temporary alternative for people who mainly post with their characters!
I really love this idea. It may be difficult to do, but it would help me keep track of all my forum roleplays, and more! No more lost threads when I have to go away!
I love this idea so much...especially after having to dig through the forums for a lost thread last night XD Not sure how hard it would be to do though :(
Oh Oh OHH!

I have an idea that might be easier to code!
Maybe a 'favourite this thread' option?
And you can have a list of your favourite threads somewhere? And it would show up in your updates whenever one of your favourite threads was posted in?
Amirrora--that's kinda similar already to the "subscribe" feature at the top of the threads already. It'll show up in your Recent Activity if someone replies to it.

But I do like the idea of having a widget that keeps track of what RPs your characters are in. Although, I really like how Sanne just typed it in herself on another page. It might not be a bad idea for me to do that as well; to keep track of character progress and what not. (Poor Kai's already been killed off.)
But I mean one that you have a LIST you can go to.
Like, on the side, it would say 'favourite threads' and you click it, and it brings you to a list showing them.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

That's more an adjusting or overhaul of the notification settings. Favorite threads still get clogged and you'd lose promoting your ongoing and finished RPs to the viewers,which is another important reason for me to want the widget. :)
Yeah, I guess that's true.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New widget: Active roleplays

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus