Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » NaNoWriMo 2016

(With apologies to those I'm RPing with, and I swear I'll get some responses out soon... >.< )

I know it's most of the month away, but I'm finally going to be participating in NaNoWriMo this year and was curious if anyone else around the site was as well! I've known about it and intended to participate for years, but this will be the first time I'm actually joining in.

For those who might not be familiar with it, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, which runs through November. It was created for those who can never seem to find the time or stay on top of getting their big idea out, or who get too tied up in constant, ongoing editing. The idea is to write a small novel - 50,000 words - within the constraints of a single month. Naturally, the focus is on speed and quantity over quality - but they encourage and provide resources for editing and polish in the following months. November's goal is just to prove you can write that much, not to produce a perfect novel.

If anyone wants to look me up, I'm Novalyyn over there as well.
This may or may not be the thing that gets me to finally write my story XD
Zelphyr Topic Starter

That IS what it's for. ^_^ I've heard the community is very nice, too. Helpful and encouraging.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Welcome to the wacky wonderful chaos that is NaNoWriMo. I've attempted it alllmost every year since 2004, with wildly varying success <.< I recommend it to everyone, since it provides a fun framework for just getting the words on the page. Even if they're crappy!

I reckon the NaNo group will get back into full swing anytime now! Come join! http://www.rprepository.com/group/group.php?gID=640
I was seriously thinking of making this post a few days ago... XD
LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS YEAR BECAUSE I DONT HAVE COLLEGE ANYMORE!!
I've already started my outline. I plan on working on the outline on and off through the month for at least 30 min in the evening every night.
Tried last year
Didn't succed
Had way too much on the way

If I manage to clear out my schedule for then, and get some inspiration
I might give it another shot
Third time is a charm, didn't make it the last two years but I'm planning it out this year. My outline needs some work, but it'll be a big help. Good luck, Nova!
I've gotten my outline about 90 percent done, I still have a few bits to fill in, one segment of story were I need to list 3-4 events ( once I decide what happened in that block) and I need to come up with a few minor background character and place names beforehand.
I'm going to attempt one of my OC's back stories for NaNo this year! :) Going to try my best; I have a terribly hard time overlooking the "quantity over quality" aspect and getting caught up too much in little details. So hopefully this year I'll manage to overlook that part at first!

What does it boil down to; approximately 1600 - 1700 words a day? I'm sure I could manage that; if anything trying to keep ahead of the challenge is key and not letting the days pile up and get overwhelming.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Elerra wrote:
I'm going to attempt one of my OC's back stories for NaNo this year! :) Going to try my best; I have a terribly hard time overlooking the "quantity over quality" aspect and getting caught up too much in little details. So hopefully this year I'll manage to overlook that part at first!

What does it boil down to; approximately 1600 - 1700 words a day? I'm sure I could manage that; if anything trying to keep ahead of the challenge is key and not letting the days pile up and get overwhelming.

My usual way of NaNo writing is to write 5 to 10k words a couple times a week! So you don't HAVE to write everyday!
It averages at about 1,667 words/day. I have the same problem with quanitity over quality, and it is what killed my chances of winning last year. I wasn't writing anywhere near 1,667 word. Hopefully this year I'll just get into the swing of things and keep the writing going.
Heimdall - I'd love to aim someday to not be scared of that amount of writing, but 5 or 10 thousand words in one sitting is far too much for me!

I can write at about 2k words in an hour or two on a good day, so because I know that's possible it's probably best that I stick to that per day, rather than letting it pile up too much.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » NaNoWriMo 2016

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus