Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » A New Character

Witness

"Why must you say such miserable, cruel things to me?" "Why indeed...because you're cruel and miserable people. Because none of you respond to love...you're caricatures, all of you. Without your masks, you're caricatures." -Twilight Zone, "The Masks"

I've been working hard on my characters Jack Aldo Vindici and The Man in Gold for several years now, and while I can certainly appreciate the fact that they both have had much detail put into their pasts and their origins, as well as the development of their personalities and states of mind, the fact remains that they are both miserable, cruel people. I've been chatting with other RPers on the site, and I come across plenty of characters who have long, detailed pasts and developed personalities, but they approach life with a much more positive outlook and a psychologically-healthy coping method for problems in their lives.

I'm asking you, RPR, to help me make a character. I've spent so much time making cynical, self-destructive characters that I don't have a good idea of how to make a similarly complex character who doesn't turn to moral indifference, violence, or self-loathing to deal with their problems. I'd like ideas from both members who are writers, as I came into RPR with a few years of writing under my belt and wrote about Jack and TMIG long before I RPd as them, and members who are long-time RPers, as I need to make a character that will not drive away everyone else. Natürlich, anyone can submit a response or an idea regardless of writing experience or RP experience, and even if you don't know my characters very well, you can offer some advice.

Also, my character Relyn Varsyn may seem like a potential candidate for what I'm looking for, but to that assertion I must object strongly. Relyn is a side character in one of Jack's stories, and I'm not looking to develop him to the level of Jack or TMIG. Also, my other characters Gerald Hudson and Grady Becket are for specific RPs, and I'm not interested in changing them up either. I'm looking to make a brand-new character here.
Not quite sure what you're looking for besides someone who isn't violent or the like in order to deal with their problems. Perhaps you should make a skeleton first? Maybe put one of their traits as loud and quirky, someone who cares not for their problems. Or maybe they go to someone to help solve their problems by talking it out. And then go from there. Because everyone knows their looks are based on how they are ;)

XD I'm not entirely sure. If you need like, traits and stuff I'm more than happy to bounce ideas off of you.
Or, just an idea mind you, you could make a character with NO problems. Sunny and chipper and bright is fun to play sometimes. Another path I can recommend would be to make a character of yourself, a caricature character. This can lead to some rather startling directions, as one of my longest running characters (In my head, as there is literally no place for him on RPR, despite my best efforts) started out as a caricature of myself on Furcadia. In turn, he became something very, VERY different and the backbone of two proposed novel series, and had quite a few ups and downs during his run in Furcadia.
You can also do as Krissy suggested and take the idea that 'you are NOT going to have a bad day' and apply it to a character, so that they look on the bright side, despite crap getting thrown in their faces. "Yay! Another face full of feces! my garden will be so pretty this year!"
Sanne Moderator

There are many ways to create a character who is charismatic or draws people to them due to positive traits.

Method 1: Write down which traits you find positive, inspiring or really like in other people. Make a list of about 5-10, then roll a dice to pick one or multiple traits for your character. Based on these traits, you can think of various backgrounds that led to the character obtaining these traits.

Method 2: Use a random generator to create a character for you. Here are a few from a random Google:

http://www.archetypewriting.com/muse/generators/character.htm

http://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_npc.php

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=quickchar

You can leave things of no interest out (such as DnD stats) or any abilities irrelevant to your plans/setting with the character. Especially the second link is useful because it creates motivations for your character as well as a minor history. If you select a Good alignment, you'd be able to pick out a handful of reasons and traits.

Some random results I rolled.

Results
Arni, male human Rog13: CR 13; Size M (5 ft., 11 in. tall);
HD 13d6; hp 50; Init +3; Spd 30 ft.; AC 13; Attack +8/+3
melee, or +12/+7 ranged; SV Fort +4, Ref +11, Will +5; AL
LG; Str 9, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 8.

Languages Spoken: Abyssal, Common, Halfling.

Skills and feats: Balance +14, Decipher Script +13, Disable
Device +14, Disguise +8, Escape Artist +17, Forgery +14,
Hide +20, Intimidate +15, Jump +12, Knowledge (Local) +11,
Listen +1, Move Silently +21, Open Lock +11, Spot +1, Swim
+14, Tumble +18; Combat Reflexes, Dodge, [Evasion], Far
Shot, Negotiator, Point Blank Shot, Stealthy.

Possessions: 35,000 gp in gear.

Primary motivation: Chivalry. The character believes that
helping others is an end in and of itself.

Secondary motivation: A desire for power and/or immortality.

Recent Past: The character has just come from Iron Wood.

Ruhollah, male human Nob3: CR 2; Size M (5 ft., 10 in.
tall); HD 3d8; hp 16; Init +4; Spd 30 ft.; AC 14; Attack +4
melee, or +6 ranged; SV Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +5; AL LG; Str
15, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 17.

Languages Spoken: Abyssal, Common, Goblin, Terran.

Skills and feats: Appraise +8, Handle Animal +5, Hide +4,
Intimidate +8, Knowledge (Geography) +8, Knowledge (History)
+9, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, Perform (Act) +5, Perform
(Dance) +8, Perform (Oratory) +9, Ride +10, Spot +8; Point
Blank Shot, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (morningstar).

Possessions: 2,500 gp in gear.

Primary motivation: A need for knowledge about the strong.
The character feels than an understanding will solve their
problems.

Secondary motivation: A sense of guilt for aasimars. The
character feels that past wrongs leave them morally
obligated to help them if they can.

Recent Past: The character had a recent run in with ghosts.

Urabi, male human Com11: CR 10; Size M (5 ft., 4 in. tall);
HD 11d4+11; hp 41; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 12; Attack +8
melee, or +7 ranged; SV Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +7; AL LG; Str
16, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 14.

Languages Spoken: Common, Giant.

Skills and feats: Craft (Blacksmithing) +14, Craft
(Leatherworking) +15, Craft (Shipmaking) +10, Craft
(Woodworking) +10, Hide +2, Listen +16, Move Silently +2,
Spot +2; Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Shield Proficiency,
Skill Focus (Craft (Shipmaking)), Track.

Possessions: 105 gp in gear.

Primary motivation: Feels a strong desire to seek justice for
followers of St. Cuthbert. The character feels an injustice
has been done against them, and must be corrected.

Secondary motivation: Clearing their name. The character's
name or reputation has been wronged in the past by the Good,
and they desire to right it.

Recent Past: The character had a recent run in with local
brigands.

Thorir, male human Rgr3: CR 3; Size M (5 ft., 10 in. tall);
HD 3d8-3; hp 12; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; AC 10; Attack +5
melee, or +3 ranged; SV Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +4; AL LG; Str
14, Dex 10, Con 8, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 5.

Languages Spoken: Common.

Skills and feats: Climb +8, Craft (Painting) +3, Craft
(Woodworking) +4, Hide +6, Knowledge (Nature) +4, Listen +1,
Move Silently +0, Profession (Hunter) +7, Spot +1, Survival
+5; Blind-Fight, Iron Will, Persuasive, [Rapid Shot],
[Track].

Possessions: 2,500 gp in gear.

Ranger Spells Per Day: None until 4th level.

Primary motivation: Boredom. The character has no other
reason than their life is otherwise uninteresting.

Secondary motivation: Feels a strong desire to seek justice
for the local government. The character feels an injustice
has been done against them, and must be corrected.

Recent Past: The character had a recent encounter with one or
more crocodiles.

Nuri, male human Mnk16: CR 16; Size M (6 ft., 0 in. tall);
HD 16d8-16; hp 70; Init +5; Spd 80 ft.; AC 16; Attack
+13/+8/+3 melee, or +13/+13/+13/+8/+3 monk, or +13/+8/+3
ranged; SV Fort +9, Ref +13, Will +12; AL LG; Str 12, Dex
12, Con 8, Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 11.

Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Dwarven.

Skills and feats: Balance +20, Diplomacy +16, Disguise +1,
Escape Artist +20, Heal +10.5, Hide +1, Jump +16, Knowledge
(Religion) +19, Listen +2, Move Silently +1, Search +9,
Sense Motive +20, Spot +2, Tumble +14; Blind-Fight, Combat
Expertise, [Combat Reflexes], [Evasion], [Improved Disarm],
[Improved Evasion], [Improved Grapple], Improved Initiative,
[Improved Unarmed Strike], Lightning Reflexes, Run, Skill
Focus (Knowledge (Religion)), Skill Focus (Sense Motive).

Possessions: 77,000 gp in gear.

Primary motivation: A strong sense of loyalty to the weak.
The character feels that they owe them much, and will act to
help them.

Secondary motivation: Divine. The character is compelled to
act according to their religious beliefs.

Recent Past: The character has just come from Mistmarsh.
Claine Moderator

I'm the same, a lot of my characters tend to be very pessimistic. I think it's because I love some drama and angst in my writing. XD Much more so than romance and more positive things. I love the idea of my character being broken and finding things to take solstice in, and people to trust and feeling things like accomplishment and pride for improving themselves.

But I think these are some good methods for making more optimistic characters. You need to use all of them, but one or two should help:

Surround them with friends and family. Somebody who had loving encouraging parents growing up, and a group of friends they can rely on and find support in is more likely to be emotionally secure than somebody who has very little interest in maintaining relationships.

Give them a passion. Art, music, travelling, writing - something that they love to do and fills their time with joy. The need not be the best at what they do, but they should feel pride in their work and love creating.

Make them respectful and helpful - someone who is emotionally wired to feel empathy and to get joy in helping those in need. It need not be huge, life (or world) changing aid but little things such as offering advice for those who are in trouble, listening to friends who are going through rough times, donating time to help a charity or animals.

Make your characters emotionally sound - Yes I know crazy people are fun to roleplay. Yes, I know arseholes are fun to roleplay. However those kinds of characters draw negativity to themselves. Play someone who is confident (but not an egomaniac), motivated to improve themselves or work towards a goal, and feels comfortable in their environment.

Play 'the little guy'. Your character doesn't need to have witnessed the death of their civilisation, be the long lost heir to a fallen kingdom, seen their own family murdered. Play a blacksmith. Play a farmer. Play a travelling merchant. Play a bard. These people have less drama and things to worry about in their lives. They can live simply and happily.
Witness Topic Starter

I would just like to thank everyone who replied thus far for your replies; the advice is both sound and much-needed. However, I wrote the first post late last night when I was in a melancholy; after a good night's sleep, I've gotten over myself and I think I have come up with a new character. When I finish him, I'll put a link to his profile on here and would like to know what everyone thinks of him, in terms of being less miserable, self-loathing, &c.
Witness Topic Starter

http://www.rprepository.com/site.php?char=13264 I'll flesh out the rest later, but for now it's a start.
Wit don't discount those background characters. :) They can be just as fascinating, and meaningful as the leads in your roster. Most of mine actually started as filler for a story, Draeval for instance is just another piece of a larger organism. While he's vastly developed, in the scheme of his overall plot arch he's a blip in the world. However, he has his own extensive background and personality.
Minerva

One bit of advice I'd give is to keep a check -on- that personal melancholy. While it's one thing to divide ic/ooc, a character can only realistically have a life portrayed or thought pattern that the author understands. It could be a sign to approach life a little more bright eyed. Rather than saying its too hot, learn to think how wonderfully sunny it is. Instead of thinking how full of holes your blanket is, think of all the things in life it's seen you through that made it get to that point. It's a healthy exercise, helps in real life, and can open up your perceptions for other characters outside of your typical. Just like to write someone truly brave--but not unrealistically--you need to perceive real fear and what it means and takes to conquer it. If you find your characters are always grin, see the world through rosier lenses so you can understand how these characters perservere through life in spite of natural struggles.
Minerva

er, *grim
Witness Topic Starter

Arnes has been up for five days now and I am quite pleased with him. If you are in a current RP with one of my other characters, it may have come to your attention that I am not posting with the same rapidity and detail as I once was. That's because Arnes is, to me, far more fun and unpredictable to play as; I will eventually regain my muse for playing as the others, but for now I'm keeping my posts for them short, sweet, and posted a little less promptly than what I used to. Simply put, I'm not in the right melancholic mood to play as Jack, the Man in Gold, or even as the one-dimensional Relyn. Arnes is too much fun, well-detailed, and exciting for me to play as.

In any case, this topic is effectively closed; I got what I wanted in Arnes, and hopefully, the people that are currently in RPs with him enjoy him as well. As for my other characters, I won't be seeking out too many new RPs for them.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » A New Character

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus