Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Art Advice/Resources!

rat Topic Starter

When using references - don't just copy, think! Take an active, iterative approach to analysing your reference.

Draw a few small sketches of the reference and compare them as you go. Take breaks and come back to look at it with fresh eyes, then draw a few more, referring to your previous ones to further focus on breaking it down into its components. Then you can start playing with it and applying a style. Never settle for drawing something once.

I find it really helpful to do this: Draw a small sketch using the reference, then flip your canvas, hide that sketch and try to draw the reference again facing the other way this time to really get yourself thinking about what each part means and how it fits together. Then unhide your original sketch and compare. Repeat until it feels right.

This video explains iterative drawing super well, along with other general good tips!
(Bake that cake before you put the icing on top!)

Not a free program, but one that gives you a adjustable virtual doll model to work with: http://terawell.net/terawell/

I assume it's not as natural-feeling as a physical one, of course. ^^;

Correction: there is a free version.

Edit: The free version doesn't let you open saved files. It also doesn't make that clear until you attempt it.

And although Daz3d is a little more complicated and overall bigger, I'm finding it works better.
rat Topic Starter

@Novalyyn - Ooh, good find! Thanks for sharing!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Art Advice/Resources!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus