Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » books, Books, BOOKS!

So, for my birthday my boyfriend got me a nook simple touch. I enjoy it a lot and wish to open my mind to new books to read. I read just about everything expect biographies. More so fiction, though. I like reading teen literature, as well as adult (I'm a big fan of dystopian novels.)

Anywho. If you guys have ANY suggestions at all, please do tell me. :D I need to read more!

P.s. I still prefer real books! <3
I don't know if you have heard of Suzanne Collins but she had written something called the UNDERLAND CHRONICLES. My mother read the books and i am reading them now.
While not a normal reading material, I highly suggest Joseph Campbell's, Hero with a Thousand Faces to anyone serious about writing/creating. :) It's a masterpiece and fun.
I have a Nook Tablet, and I still prefer real books too :P Are you up to date on the Stackhouse books?
Krissy Topic Starter

Thanks guys! I'll take into consideration of each one. And Fox, I just bought the latest book like five seconds before you posted this XD
Sanne Moderator

Stephen King's The Dark Tower (it's a long series, but so worth it)
Wit'ch series / The Banned and the Banished
The Last Herald Mage

There's also one Dutch book I'm crazy about, but it's by a Dutch author and isn't available in English for as far as I know.
Krissy wrote:
Thanks guys! I'll take into consideration of each one. And Fox, I just bought the latest book like five seconds before you posted this XD

<3 Outstanding.
Krissy Topic Starter

Sanne, I've read the that series, as far as the other two, I'll check them out :D
Sanne Moderator

Krissy wrote:
Sanne, I've read the that series, as far as the other two, I'll check them out :D

Which one? XD All three of them are series.
Krissy Topic Starter

Oh ahaha. The Stephen King Dark Tower series. Took me about a month to read all eight books.
Minerva

i LOVE hero with a thousand faces. That shouldn't surprise rubix. Young adult... 1) slayers novels by hajime kanzaka. 2) percy jackson and the olympians series. 3) mortal instruments series. 4) i hear hunger games is good.
Minerva wrote:
i LOVE hero with a thousand faces. That shouldn't surprise rubix. Young adult... 1) slayers novels by hajime kanzaka. 2) percy jackson and the olympians series. 3) mortal instruments series. 4) i hear hunger games is good.

Hunger Games rock!
Rubix wrote:

Are those in any way connected to Harry Potter?
@Foxy Probably not, since Nicholas Flammel was an actually person. They even reference him in Fullmetal Alchemist. He was a big person on Alchemy, and was said to have made a philosopher's stone, which I thought was really cool that J K Rowling brought that piece of history into her books.
Witness

Most of what I read for leisure are dusty old tomes that nobody knows/cares about, but if you don't mind a book with close to 800 pages and some deep concepts, might I recommend Whittaker Chambers' Witness? It is, without question, my favorite book and my namesake, and while it's a long read, Chambers writes with a diction and tone which is simultaneously easy to read and thought provoking. Besides my 50th anniversary edition, I also have a first edition in my room and have taken more than 20 pages of notes out of it.

Not only that, but Chambers also names at least another dozen authors who all relate to his book in one way or another; Arthur Koestler, Soren Kirkegaard, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Victor Hugo, Reinhold Niebuhr, Karl Barth, and others. If you've got nothing better to do and feel like examining the human condition or the nature of spirituality, you can give any of those a try too. I've read Niebuhr before, he's a heavy read compared to Chambers; Kirkegaard is more easy to understand, but I've only read a little of him; Dostoevsky is what he is, I've read almost all of his works more than once, but I wouldn't say I've fully gotten the depth of his work yet; Hugo, in Les Miserables is long, but easy to understand, and I much prefer him to Dickens; Koestler is sitting on my nightstand right now, and once I get off my rump and read him I could tell you more about him; finally, I've never actually read Barth, Niebuhr seems to think very little of most of what he wrote and Niebuhr, as hard as he is for me to understand, seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Also, there's another book by Chambers which was published posthumously; it's called Cold Friday and contains a collection of his writings and journals which were written in the years after Witness. I've read most of it and it's just as good a read as his other book; he names more authors, and I've pulled another 20 pages of notes out of that one.

EDIT: Also, here's a short list of authors that Chambers lists in Cold Friday which I have tracked down to read:

[*]Man's Fate or La Condition Humaine by Andre Malraux
[*]Darkness at Noon and The Invisible Writing by Arthur Koestler
[*]The Captive Mind by Czeslaw Milosz
[*]The Drama of Atheist Humanism by the Abbe Henri de Lubac
[*]The Burned Bramble or Et le Buisson Devient Cendre by Manes Sperber

I've been lazy and not read the first, second, and third books on the list, the last two are waiting for me to buy them on Amazon, and Milosz seems to be really hard to find anywhere. Still, might be something to look into.
f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
Rubix wrote:

Are those in any way connected to Harry Potter?

Nope. :)
I'd suggest Doctor Who books, but for some reason barnes and noble doesn't think they exist in ebook format o.O

If you like romance novels (I know you like sci fi), I'd suggest Cheryl Brooks Cat Star Chronicles :) I think the first book is called Slave.

Also anything by Sherilyn Kenyon :D Her League Series is sci fi, and her Dark-Hunter series is awesome!
Minerva just texted to tell me, City of Bones is only .99 cents right now on both amazon and barnes and noble. The series is so worth it, I've read them all! :D
Krissy Topic Starter

I've already read those :P I should just put a list up of what I've read hahah

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » books, Books, BOOKS!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus