Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Raid of Aftbide (Open)

Katja Sauer (played by paranoid_party)

"Yeah, she never was good at this. She's most likely just stalling for time...She's got an ally around these parts, she may have called on her." Drake rubbed his neck, looking a little worried himself as he glanced towards the mountains in the north, "...If she gets here fast enough, that's another story."

"And if I refuse to leave, yet refuse to stand idly by while you go after the Prince?" Katja cocked an eyebrow, folding her arms in front of her chest, "What will you do, little bull? You must know I've come here with a plan, any clueless man wouldn't simply waltz into a village of vicious bandits without thinking that he will survive. You make it seem as if I'm some clueless dolt. Do you underestimate me?"

Her eyes swept over the crowd of bandits a few feet away, and she shifted her weight, before focusing back in on Grum.

Who did this man think he was, a lowly royal servant talking to her in such a manner. The Bandit King was a heated woman, and judging on the faces of the men behind her, they could see she was getting angry fast, "You've wandered far past Aftbide, little blue-blood. I am the Bandit King Iskra Sokol, leader of Onyx." She lowered her bow, however, "Travel with us, we're headed to Aftbide. This Lady Katja you speak of is a... personal acquaintance of mine. She's asked for my help with this bandits you speak of...We should hurry, you've put his behind schedule."

Marcello went to speak again, but at Merthyr's voice he cocked an eyebrow, dropping down from the roof to go by the window. The albino felt along until he found it, "The messenger? Is that you?" He had brought his leathery wings close to his body now, but it didn't exactly make him look any less like a demon to those who saw him, attractive or not. Tail sweeping the ground behind him, he sniffed a little and wrinkled his nose as he moved away, "A prison...? Are....Is this Aftbide?" Somehow, the young man had managed to get even more pale in the few seconds he was making this connection.
Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

Atoli blinked slowly, dumbfounded at the demon’s naivety. Her eyebrow twitched as the captured prince continued prattling on for her favor. This prince seemed very two-sided to her; in one instance calling her a chicken when he thought things were in his favor, and now calling her a queen when he was behind bars? Pah! Either way the harpy had no respect for the noble and that fact grew the more he groveled…she didn’t believe for a second that his intentions were for the people. Though Atoli did indeed feel a semblance of pity for the towns people that were jailed, it was not her decision nor was it her place to say otherwise.

She snapped back at him then, “You made your true colors known when you thought you were free to boss the chieftain about like he was an errand boy. And I have no doubt you wouldn’t think twice to throw me to the chopping block as soon as you step out of that cell.” She paused for a moment in thought. “…And what makes you think I have any say in this?” She tilted her head to look back to Marcello, and watched as he made his way down to the cell window.

She jumped off the ledge of the roof and landed by him a few feet away. Her eyes lingered on his wings for a while in interest. At his last comment she folded her arms and replied, “The one and only…”
Tara Faolan (played by Iltheyn) Topic Starter

(If Theo returns I will reply to his next post. Haven't forgotten.)

Tara followed Drake's glance toward the northern mountain and tensed. Having come down from its climes she was not unfamiliar with the dangers it harbored. "...I hope so." Tara did not doubt in her newfound allies' abilities but thought this matter would end a lot cleaner with help than if they were to stand alone.

_

Grum cocked his head slightly and smirked while Katja claimed that she had a plan. "Oh, I don't think that you're so dense to come without a plan. I just think your plan will fail anyway. You have no idea what you're dealing with, here." He saw her weight shift and his smile vanished; the minotaur slowly, calmly produced something from beneath his hauberk. Though it was difficult to discern what it was between his large fingers it seemed wooden and otherwise nondescript. "Were that my men possessed such conviction..."

The other bandits started to retreat a few steps, their eyes not on Katja but on their chieftain. "My chief...?"

The minotaur dropped the wooden object to the floor; a sculpture of something, perhaps a man making a gesture? He stepped back from it and drew his weapon, a two-handed war hammer and swung down upon it.

The sculpture splintered, crushed under the hammer's weight and from its remains rose a deathly aura, whispering in an ancient tongue accompanying it. The aura condensed into a turbulent, small cloud as the hammer was pulled away. "Say good night, little human."

One of the bandits called to Katja, more in dismay than jeering. "You should have agreed! Why have you done this?!"

_

The guard gasped. Formerly invisible, lines of old scripture lit up, scrawled as it was along each wall of the prison. "Oh gods. Oh.. oh no." He uttered. The wailing of nearby infants grew louder as the energy of the spell swelled in the air. Someone asked aloud, "What's happening?!"

The guard rushed to the nearest door and fumbled with his keys to open it. Nearby, an older man in Merthyr's cage gaped, as if stunned by something only he saw, and crumpled to the floor. Indeed, all who were in the cells could feel a spiritual tug into the next life, something that strengthened with each second. A sacrifice.

The first gate opened, the guard yelled, "Come out! Get out now!" And the able villagers obliged him in a stampede. Other unfortunate folk fell to the floor, as it was too late for them. The guard wasted no time reaching the next door and opening that as well. Screams filled the prison as everyone begun to realize just what was going on.

Then he got to Merthyr's cell but realized then that it was unlocked. "Come on!" He shouted, moving to help if the king had already freed himself.
Merthyr helped those he could in his hasty departure, bringing out as many as he could help till there were none left alive, inside the barracks, the walls displayed a strange if somewhat sinister and alluring writing, causing him enough unease to not willingly return there

"Lady Atoli... no harm is to come to you in the name of the king, in my presence or on my account. I will vouch for you before my father if you are captured. As much as we clearly despise each other, a deal is a deal, I am armed and will personally defend you here if it comes to it, so long you don't endanger others. Furthermore, you will receive payment for the loot at earliest opportunity" Asked Merthyr failing to see the bird woman by Grum where he expected her to be

Merthyr came to stand at the main square, taking swords and whatever weapons he managed to steal quickly from the guards at the jail, looking back at the needless prisoners' death behind him.

He stood a few places behind Grum and Katja.

"Such needless death was uncalled for... whatever happened in there, whatever was that caused it, it was a regrettable loss of life" outed Merthyr in a sober voice

"The survivors... Are they free to go, chieftain?" Asked Merthyr having never seen Katja thus barely reacting to her presence as he glanced briefly at Katja before returning his gaze at Grum, not one to run and escape to safety leaving the peasants to a grim fate.

"If it is ransom you seek... you have me already, let them leave, alive and unharmed, to seek refuge at lord Pentre's castle" asked Merthyr

"GET THE CIRCLE UP NOW!" Drake's voice echoed through the region as he heard the screaming, and the mage sitting near them quickly began to mumble, a hasty jumble of some strange language, something elven sounding. He hefted up his hammer, "Get ready, Tara. Help isn't here yet but knowing Katja...."

Which was a reasonable thing to assume. She stumbled away, and pulled out her sword at the sudden aura; when she heard the screams her whole body language changed, and she yelled, ignoring the need to disguise her feminine voice any longer, "What have you done?! Those are innocent lives!" She lunged at him without a seconds hesitation, the Knight far too angry to think strategy; she was hasty, and careless.

Drake clicked his tongue, and bellowed once more, "ARCHERS, TAKE AIM. SECURE THE SAFETY OF THE VILLAGERS AT ANY COST! Tara, men, we move in now!" And with that the orc went charging in, headed straight for Grum and Katja; he knew she wouldn't be able to take on an opponent so much bigger than her, Knight or not. Grum was a tank, Katja worked better against other sword wielders.

Around Aftbide, a blue circle began to spread; a protection circle, similar to the one that had circled their camp, but this time rooted in holy magic rather than earthen spells; it was hastily added so it could only effect the weaker demons and creatures of the night, but it was better than nothing; they had no clue what they were up against.

Marcello shuddered at the strange aura, quickly flying a few feet back from the cell; his stared in horror at the sounds of screaming, looking to Atoli, "W-What's going on, what is this magic?!" The holy effects of the protection circle left him dizzy, and exposed his true form, hooves and claws and all now visible, but he didn't seem to care; the blind half-demon was panicking it seemed, now that he knew where he was and felt this strange magic.

Atoli jumped back as well, startled by the magic that now assaulted her senses, looking as shocked as everyone else. “I.. I don’t know.” She eyed Marcello’s form for a moment before hastily flying back onto the rooftop to get a better look around. The imprisoned villagers were streaming out from the keep’s doors now in full panic mode. When Merthyr was in sight and spoke she stared at him, her thoughts were split and jumbled, lost amongst the frantic energy. She gave a nodded to him instead and watched him run off.

Atoli looked back to Marcello now and shouted over the calamity. “Was this your people’s doing!?...” The harpy looked out towards the town center now and saw Merthyr arrive there. It seemed a fight was breaking out. “If not- I’m sure you know by now it was very stupid to follow me here.”

Tara drew her blade as the screaming reached them, catching sight of commotion further away but focusing on Drake instead. Their escape itself was a sign that someone else was trying to help- she held on to the hope that it wasn't all for naught. "Aye!" The warrior urged her steed into a canter, mostly to keep pace with the half-orc and militiamen; though she was already considering charging ahead to support Katja.

The escape of the villagers formed a second, chaotic front behind the bandits' line. Some groups flanking Grum's turned their attention to them, rushing in to try and recapture those they could. Shouting sprung from the crowd there between the shouting brigands and fearful locals. The chaos meant that Merthyr, though free, was largely unobserved and unheard. Grum's ears caught his voice but the minotaur was too preoccupied with Katja to formulate a reply.

It was a fleeting opportunity but one the guard from the jails took nonetheless; able to wade through the crowd without resistance, he approached the Merthyr from behind and tried to draw a dagger to his throat. His hands lightly shook; eyes wide and face pale, this man seemed to be acting more out of desperation than anything else.

"SHIELD WALL!" The brigands on the front obeyed their chieftain's command and raised their shields, anticipating a volley. The chieftain drew his hammer from the ground and paced to the side, narrowly avoiding the smaller knight's lunge but using her forward momentum to try and bat her away with the lower shaft of his weapon; his attempted pummeling sent the reinforced wood toward Katja's helmeted face. He grinned, seeming to savor her rage. "Innocence?! HAH!"

With or without success against the knight, Grum would try to step back, aware of the approaching militia but somewhat more focused on Katja and the swirling mass now coalescing behind her. As the others closed in it took shape; two blood-red lights shone from within an old, ornamented helmet. A breastplate of similar style accompanied it but the thing possessed no limbs, instead wielding a spear with undefined strands of dark essence.

The thing that formed drifted toward the militia's front line, its helmet leaning back to release an unearthly cry that carried on for miles. To those close by the noise was deafening. The circle formed around the village did not please it.
Merthyr felt the cold blade touch his neck and paused, he was able to feel the man's breath against the back of his neck and the trembling hand which assured him of the man's inexperience and fear, giving Merthyr an upper hand of the game and greater confidence. Now he knew for a fact that, this one, was more desperate than truly dangerous, so he held onto the hilt of his swords firmly talking to his captor in a low warning voice.

"Withdraw... and your life will be spared, on this occasion..." advised Merthyr "Surely you don't expect trained warriors to be held back by shivering guards with sharp knives whilst holding two unsheathed swords at hand?" questioned Merthyr. He took a deeper breath and remained silent a few moments

When Merthyr paused, he heard the inhumane scream or screach of sorts that was somewhat deafening. He felt a strange shiver too as the shield was raised. He looked over and noticed the transformation of the blind albino taking up its true devilish and imposing form, assuming that beast to be a threat and danger to them all, especially Atoli, to whom he had been talking to as well as stared at the strange shape forming not too far behind Katja

His eyes scouted the immediate surroundings for his bag of belongings to no avail, glancing up quickly to ensure Atoli was unharmed for now and made a brief check at the villagers rounded up with him at the main square before focusing on the cambion from the distance yet again. His eyes gazing upon the demon that somewhat attracted if fascinated him with its obvious features, before focusing on the task at hand, the cold blade by his neck

"Look... I have villagers to protect or barter for, if I can, and I have a harpy to defend on the wrong side of the law too. If protecting her makes me an outlaw.. then so be it. For now, it's in your interests not to interfere either way because... I won't show you mercy twice... so... put that blade away before you make unintended mistakes and don´t live long enough to regret it" muttered Merthyr staying still for the moment, his hand clutching the two swords ready to cut down the man and others if this one refused to comply, mindful enough to give his assailant a chance to live

"Chieftain... I would appreciate your answer... would you permit these surviving villagers to remain free and unharmed if I were to remain your disarmed and subdued captive?" asked Merthyr thinking about these folk above his welfare, letting Grum take time to think about the answer, watching the warrior take on the much larger opponent and watching the warrior's every move unaware she was a woman in the first place

Taff walked briskly behind Iskra wondering how much longer he would have to wait for the anticipated arrival at Aftbide and the longed for reunion with the king, muttering to himself on how best break the news of king Conrad's death.

"Your majesty... I regret to inform you of king Conrad's death in your absence... long live king Merthyr..." muttered Taff to himself

"no no, that would be too official and formal... maybe I should say... king Merthyr, I am sorry for your terrible loss... your return is expected at the royal palace... uhmm no no, no duties and crown burdens, he needs time to simmer the bad news. Perhaps letting him know his father had a calm and painless passing during his sleep would be better... or..." mused Taff

"Oh I know... I could inform him lord Pentre will arrive within two days with the royal army of over five thousand knights to rescue the new king and put all these bandits through the sword... that might imply king Conrad's death whilst bringing hope for freedom?... urgh... so difficult at times..." mumbled Taff mostly talking to himself

As soon as Taff Gelligen heard that inhumane scream that filled the valleys and mountains alike, he took a step back startled looking up at Iskra "We better hurry before it is much too late..." urged Taff able to hear the sounds location towards Aftbide in the further distance

Katja let out a yell when she was struck; the hit sent the woman falling backwards, and when she hit the ground it came loose, her braid slipping out onto the ground. She jerked the damaged helmet off, her blue eyes full of rage as she stood again; but when she saw the creature taking form she stared, unable to rip her eyes away.

Katja was a simple woman; the idea of magic was something she didn't question, only putting full support in it's existence, but she herself was wary of it. But this? This screamed bad news, and quite literally at that. She covered her ears and winced, yelling, "Drake, take care of that... that thing!" She turned her gaze back to Grum, staring defiantly at the taller beast; "What is that."

"Yes ma'am!" The orc looked thrilled at the challenge, liking the vague and devilish appearance of the demonic creature; if anything, the scream it let out only fueled his excitement and he raised his hammer to swing at it, aiming for the helmet it wore.

Iskra frowned at the ominous scream, and pushed her horse to a steady gallop, the group moving quickly into the town; "KATJA!" She bellowed; her voice carried and she swept her eyes over the chaos at hand, cursing at the sight of villagers. This was no good, villagers certainly wouldn't be any more pleased with her appearance than they would be with that of these bandits, or whatever that thing was.

"Y-You don't say!" He yelped, "And how would I know?! I don't think they'd let something that feels like that in here, w-we need to leave! That's not good, that thing is....w-well I dont know what it is, but I'm CERTAIN it's nothing good!" He raised himself up off the ground, his wings beating forcefully; the cambion didn't like feeling so exposed, with or without such a deadly being present.

Grum smiled at his downed opponent, responding with, "I warned you." rather than anything direct. Then he heard the voice from behind the battle line and turned his head, irritably, to address it. While doing so he pushed his way behind the front ranks of his soldiers, careless of the chaos that ensued. "Filth."

The guard grit his teeth bitterly as the king threatened him-- and with his own knife at the royalty's neck, no less! Still, something about the mayhem and noise made his vision blur. He exhaled a frustrated, mumbling noise of resignation and withdrew the dagger. As the chieftain started to turn toward them he took a few steps back from Merthyr. The scream and subsequent action which surrounded them overwhelmed the man. He blinked several times, trying hard to pace his breathing. To keep his grip on the dagger as sweat slicked his fingertips. Green eyes darted between the minotaur and 'prince' as he tried to ignore the panic of the villagers. Soon, he could only hear his heart beating loudly in his ears.

The revenant let its scream dwindle as the orc lead the charge. It raised one arm, as if wielding a shield that hadn't manifested until the orc was all but upon it. The thing pushed itself upwards to match his height, taking the blunt force of the hammer upon its helmet without resistance. The strange metal was dented, warped inward by Drake's strike but as it drifted backwards the helmet continued creaking, pushing itself outward again and only leaving a scuff mark where the damage once was.

The thing wasted no time in retaliating once it recovered, wielding its spear in both hands and thrusting forward at his torso, to the lower left.

Tara willed her horse to hasten to a gallop, using the closing space between the bandits and militiamen to angle the beast towards a weakness in the bandit's lines. Though it was a risk, it was one that inevitably paid off; one of the bandits lowered his shield somewhat to try and dismount the oncoming rider but only succeeded in further revealing his shield brother's side. The horse whinnied loudly and barged through them, trampling limbs and leaving a temporary opening in their defenses. With the archers at ready the warrior wasted no time pushing further on, not wanting to be caught by friendly arrows. More yelling voices added to the chorus as some were distracted by the spectacle but, other than the one opening, the line held firm.

Once past them she was beset by some of the bandits rounding up civilians, yelling insults in her own tongue for those who understood it. This also put her in the same general place as Merthyr- and Grum.

_

So far, none in the village yet noticed Taff, Iskra or her own troop of bandits. The civilians which fled were indeed likely to panic at the sight of them but such similar appearance may serve to their benefit against those trying to recapture the innocents.
Taff scouted the group of bandits and the militia men, mingled with the towns people, his eyes gleaming as he finally spotted Merthyr, calmly standing in the town centre, neither affraid nor affected by all the commotion and chaos that surrounded him, well used to chaotic battlefields.

Merthyr expected an answer from Grum before proceeding either way, thus occasionally used swords to shield himself from harm, raising them here and there to deflect stray blows though for the most part he appeared to be still in either deep thought or deep conversation and Taff knew that for sure, he had seen the king one too many times on the negotiating table.

As soon as his eyes ascertained the young king was there, Taff sprinted into a run. He may have been a manservant but he was a sorcerer too, powerful enough to rival and surpass any other thus he was not frightened in the least by what possible harm magic could throw his way. If the worse came to the worse, he would cast spells protect himself if needed be. Besides... this undead remenant was busy fighting Drake at present. He had enough work cut out for itself.

Taff left Iskra to her own devices and separated from them a little so as to not reveal their exact whereabouts, flanking the side of the village. Then, he marched forth into the village heading for the townsquare, making his way to the royal's presence, he was pushed into the crowd by a random guard, though most seemed panicking. Upon reaching Merthyr he dropped a knee and lowered the head, a solemn bow at the young king's feet as he delivered Conrad's seal and royal ring into the prince's hand.

"Your majesty.... your father passed away in peace... you no longer are the prince... long live the king" informed Taff in a solemn voice

"Lord Pentre is on his way, less than two day's ride away with over five thousand men, sire, more reinforcements will follow shortly" assured Taff delivering the report waiting for a gesture or permission to rise up before moving out of the way, snatching a broom out of a woman's hand who was distressed close to them.

Taff preferred a wooden staff than a sword, being a defensive rather than offensive fighter and intended to use the wooden stick to poke, trip and push back the unwanted.

"You must follow me, your majesty, I have to take you out of here, sire..." insisted Taff gawking at Merthyr's refusal when he shook his head.

"No, Taff, not this time. I have peasants to defend and a bandit harpy to protect, I'm afraid. But thank you for the grave yet timely news... it were better you made yourself scarce and got shelter out of here..." muttered Merthyr, a knot at his throat at having been told the chance for a proper farewell was now gone because of a handful of wretched bandits delaying his return.

He took a deep breath, doing his earnest to push the bad news behind, hiding Taff behind his back to protect his servant.

His eyes turned to glance briefly at the warrior that had been bravely battling with Grum, his eyes wider at the flowing hair that clearly belonged to a woman... a rather shocking finding indeed, and it would have been an exciting one if his heart had not just been torn at the dreadful news.

He quickly slipped the two new rings into his hand, swords held still and daggers around his waist for better measure as his eyes returned to Grum and set upon the chieftain whilst awaiting his answer still

"Well... answer then... chieftain... are these villagers free to leave unharmed if I remain your captive? Or are they sentenced beyond redemption already?" asked Merthyr yet again doing his earnest to shield the women, the children, Taff, behind his persona

Taff looked around the surroundings baffled at the king's statement

"Harpy? Bandit harpy? How could a common harpy, a bandit, yield such exertion upon the king as to retain him in the line of danger? " mused to himself looking up towards the roofs to see if there was any such creature, his eyes briefly setting on Atoli before returning to the hostile guards and bandits surrounding them

Atoli slung Merthyr’s satchel behind her back and quickly tied it there before following the cambion. She shivered as another piercing scream echoed to them and flapped her wings to gain more altitude. From where the Harpy was in the sky she could watch the unsettling creature battle what looked to be an orc in the village square.

“Wow, what IS that? I never knew he had his hands in that sort of magic…” She murmured as she watched from afar; her stomach turned at the thought of what that dark magic was capable of. Had she known that Grum was willing to use such black magic she would have never taken a job with him and his group. She may be a bandit and a thief, but she was no murderer… was she? Her blood felt cold in her veins at the thought of the sinister magic and her possible involvement.

It looked as though more were joining the chaos as well, and from their clothing Atoli could tell they were not guards; more bandits? “Things are getting worse by the minute…it looks like a different group of bandits have arrived, do you know them?” She said to Marcello, not minding to voice what he could not see.
Demons (played by Thekaleidoscope)

(I am so so sorry about going MIA there, a few things in real life got a little bit too stressful, but that's over now and I should be back now.)
(( OOC glad to hear your stressful time is over... and welcome back ))
Merthyr decided to take a stand, behind him at close distance, assisting in the town's conquest, he had lady Katja with the renowned fearless, if somewhat asssorted, warriors called the Knights of the People. These were in turned aided by a newly arrived group of bandits from the North at the command of lady Iskra, a force to be reckoned with.

Further behind, now in the line of sight, there were over three thousand knights of the king's royal army who arrived just in time to assist in the retake of the town, lead by the king's cousin, lord knight Pentre himself, the local overlord of the area. They well armed warriors were numerous and well trained enough to make the bandits disband and run for cover, the town would soon be liberated if it were not for the dark shadowy figure of the undead creature.

Taff, the warlock, knew he had to act fast, it was his time to intervene before the wraith caused further harm, at the same time, he had to ensure his powers remain mostly unseen and unknown, especially by Merthyr. He used the wooden staff to swing at the young king Merthyr knocking him unconscious, making it look as if it had been a clumsy and unfortunate attack and waited till the prince collapsed altogether out of awareness to cast the spell strong enough to destroy the wraith, its death and the spell used causing a sudden winter storm to plague the whole realm, making the situation all the more dire when it came to provisions and survival, many wounded left strawn on the ground, some would undoubtedly perish, others... perhaps would stand a chance to live on. Only time could tell.

The immediate need was to keep the unconscious king protected against the chieftain Grum so he turned to Tara, the knight who had been closest to the king and himself to ask her assistance, all too late, before he could even address the warrior his vision faded to black as Grum struck him down. He was loosing awareness, the only thought in his mind being the certainty that, when he woke, if he woke up, things wouldn't look good for him. He could only pray the king would remain safe.

(( RP part I concluded - for a follow up refer to Reclamation of Aftbide ))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Raid of Aftbide (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus