Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Raid of Aftbide (Open)

anon (played anonymously)

Lord Tron and Lwyncelyne paused briefly as they heard the approaching rider, Tron quickly identifying the boy right away. "That's Taff Gelligen... the prince's manservant. If the king has personally sent him, he must carry urgent yet grave news. He was not expected here until the next season at least" mused Tron

"Come, come quickly, he looks wounded... bloody bandits, wherever they are I will find them, I will hang them and I'll skin them alive if we ever cross paths" spat Tron blaming the obvious cause of the boy's wounds.

The pair of them ran outside, watching the servants rush to the messenger's aid and bringing the wounded boy indoors to the healing wing.

Lwyncelyne paused and shuddered the moment she touched the servant boy, clearly surprised to feel the strong powers of the warlock, without revealing a word of it.

"He'll live, he'll live, it is superficial" assured Lwyncelyne taking out the arrow, cleaning the wound, stitching it and applying an ointment, bandaging the boy, and giving him a flask with remedy to quicken the healing and restore his strength after the blood loss.

Taff made the painful effort to sit up soon after, the elven remedy acting quickly on his body.

"Lord of Aftbide, I come to look for my liege, is prince Merthyr Tydfil here present ? I must inform him at once that king Conrad is dead and the nobles are demanding his return" reported Taff speaking quickly and with haste, putting a fresh shirt on from his travel bag.

"There were a bandit or two earlier on in my journey closer to the capital city, clearly heading for your dominions so you may want to alert the guards" advised Taff scouting around the courtyard unable to identify the pompous prince.

Lord Tron Pentre looked wide eyed at the terrible news that could not come at worse timing.

"I shall have the bell toll to announce the king's passing, we shall wear black and mourn for three days indeed" sighed Tron

"But if what you say is true, then Merthyr could not be in greater danger. I allowed him to roam the lands for a few days and become acquainted with the militia without taking into account that some might have hatred for the royals who persecuted them and killed their kin and ran them out of their homes..." admitted Tron Pentre admitting his fault and guilt such thought just now dawning on his mind and regretting his earlier decision to send Merthyr there.

"Yet I cannot send a large party to find him, it would raise suspicions if I did. Should foes notice him before we find him, his freedom will be forfeit and his life might be too. Go, the pair of you, find the militia. If his majesty is there, bid him to return, if he is not among them then I fear the worse...." muttered Tron Pentre considering how defiant Merthyr often was.

"In such case, offer terms, seek the militia to help in finding him. We will spare no expense in this cause. If the militia is unwilling to assist then come here and I will gather the knights and the army in full presence and force, for better or worse" sighed Tron Pentre sitting down pale faced with worry

Taff Gelligen looked wide eyed in shock and horror, expecting the pampered prince well guarded between the walls of the fortress, not out in the wilderness wandering into danger by himself.

"Out there? He is out there? with all the dark beasts of magic that could shred him to pieces in one blow and which he adamantly denies their existence?" complained and moaned Taff running the fingers through his hair. He remained silent trying to absorb the news and the new quest assigned.

"Well, his majesty will be somewhat safe among the militia if he keeps quiet about his true self and is respectful enough... or else... he will hopefully be safe once you have found him. Go now and don't delay" urged Merthyr sending the pair to the task at once, handing them weapons and horses to speed their journey and search, having no idea of the militia's whereabouts exactly since they moved their encampment often.

Once they were further away from the fortress Taff raised an eyebrow at the armour, clearly not at all used to having it, wearing it or using it.

"Ever used it before?" Quizzed Taff staring at the long bow somewhat puzzled, his eyes returning to Lwyncelyne

By the clear look of disgust in her face he knew the answer.

Taff took a staff instead and tied the useless heavy armour to the horse, preferring to travel on foot alongside her instead as they ventured into the forest clueless about the militia whereabouts
Demons (played by Thekaleidoscope)

Tom continued smiling his innocent grin towards Kerik, dashing about the room in his overexcited, irrepressible way before finally halting and watching the doctor go about his work with intense curiosity. The location he had chosen to stop in would seem meaningless and just where the child had run out of steam to anyone else, however, it was very deliberately chosen for one main reason, here he could look at Kerik without anyone else in the room being able to see his face. Slowly and patiently he would wait for Kerik to look at him, hoping to have captivated the bandit's interest with his previous display of magic.

If Kerik looked at the child he would see Tom mouthing several words to him, which if Kerik could lipread would be worked out as. "Agree to serve me and I will help you."
Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

Atoli watched as two people came and passed by her tree from several yards away. The voice that was heard before was coming from the hooded male it seemed; she then eyed the armed warrior that accompanied him. She only caught a brief snippet of the conversation from her distance. When they walked through the circle unhindered and out of her line of sight, Atoli waited a few more moments in case they might spot or hear her fly off.

A scraping sound stilled her movements then, causing her head to tilt slightly towards the noise. It sounded like something was below her? But she hadn’t noticed anyone approach… a squirrel? No…
She pulled her winged arms close to her body, trying to blend in as best she could against the tree as she listened carefully now, puzzled by the noise but otherwise staying in the tree. She took in a deep breath through her nose, and though her sense of smell was not as keen as her eyes, she trusted her other senses to tell her what might be around. Very slowly, the little harpy began to peer out at what might be under her branch.

Lwyncelyne looked at Taff concerned as she wandered about through the forest, a sense of freedom and relief for her elven side to finally have contact with nature.

"You know, carrying weapons is a very dangerous thing to do out here in the open. Only those trained should take such risks" informed the elven druid girl.

"For one, those we encounter will think us enemies if they see us heavily armed and they may well attack us out of a perceived threat. Then there is the risk that we might get robbed because of the expensive gear after all this is no ordinary array of weapons, this armour is the king's royal armour, anyone can see that clear as daylight.

Also, since neither of us can use these weapons correctly, the chances of self-harm are very high indeed and... whilst they provide us no protection whatsoever, worse of all, should these get taken by the bandits, we are simply arming those likely to wish us harm or death" listed out Lwyncelyne

"What do you expect me to do?" quizzed Taff Gelligen "I am a servant and squire, remember ? To abandon this weaponry is high treason and neglect of duty, it might well cost me a week at the stocks, a harsh flogging, not to say a month's wages if not my neck altogether" explained Taff in a sympathetic understanding tone

"I could cast a spell to make it invisible maybe, but it is still there and it will still be noisy. I have not even considered making it disappear altogether because there is a risk I cannot summon it back, then they will have me for royal theft and that is sure hanging. Explain how it vanished then they will execute me for using magic... don't think I am brave enought to dare take such a chance..." explained Taff watching her smile compassionately.

"The sooner we find his majesty and deliver this, the sooner our worries are over and the better for us all" promised Taff
Tara Faolan (played by Iltheyn) Topic Starter

Kerik was astonished at Tom's statement; why, he wasn't naive at all! Still, with the world as strange and cold as it was, perhaps it was best not to trifle with the one who wove that spell. He glanced back a second or two when the doctor got to work but looked back at the boy soon after, furrowing his brow. "Why?" he mouthed back. It took everything for him to ask, as the bandit was so swayed by the spell he wished he'd just agreed.

Meanwhile, Tara took off to find Katja, hoping to drop off the package the prince gave her with the knight. The warrior did not trust the woods were safe but didn't yet know of what was going on outside the ring in the oak tree.

When Atoli looked down she'd see two amber eyes squinting back up at her, belonging to a red-haired man-- or boy?-- on one of the branches beneath her's. Those eyes widened when they made contact with her's, and the stranger sprung into action immediately. He leaped onto a smaller but higher branch, using his new leverage to try and jump onto Atoli's; if successful he'd try to grab her, and cover her mouth with a hand.

_

The guard kept his winning smile as the prince explained his situation. "Pff. No, the bandits left a while go. We're actually holding a celebration at the tavern since they left!" He examined the list thoughtfully and added, "I think you'd find plenty of folk willing to help apprehend them at the tavern right now, actually."

Merthyr polite smile turned into a broader grin of satisfaction at the reassurance that danger was passed and the good news of the still ongoing celebrations.

"Thank you so much sir... when you finish your watch, I will gladly share an ale or two" thanked Merthyr trusting the advise received and marching decisively into the tavern to order the drinks for himself and that guard outside.

Atoli was caught off guard by the eyes that were startlingly close to hers, and was grabbed just as she inhaled a breath of shock, their hand clamping around her mouth in time to stifle her shriek of alarm.

She tried to open her wings and launch herself off the branch, but the close space and the hold that the male had on her prevented it. She writhed wildly to escape and kicked out to either tear into the attacker, or to cause enough force to push them both off the branch.
Katja Sauer (played by paranoid_party)

Katja was in her tent, standing bent over a map. She had started changing into her armor, but seemed to have stopped early to begin placing little pins in her map; she wore her chainmail over her tunic, her sabatons and greaves on but only one of her cuisses was actually strapped on, the other placed on the table, forgotten. The blonde woman seemed intensely focused, and when Tara got closer she would be able to see the map was handmade, and Katja seemed to be marking locations. In fact, she hardly acknowledged Tara's presence, completely engrossed in her work.

The doctor had seen Kerik's mouth move, and he frowned, though he didn't realize he was communicating with Tom. He simply thought that the human was mumbling, as their kind usually did when they were hurt, complaining under their breath, "Relax, I'll have you healed in a moment. I can do nothing for the lost blood, but I can stop it from killing you."

"Shame." Drake grumbled.

The sweet and innocent grin plastered on the young child's face grew slightly at the inaudible question almost as if he was taking pleasure from being able to answer the question. Tom allowed a few seconds in which the bandit could stew on the answer, hoping to let all the possibilities cross Kerik's head. Then only once he felt enough time had elapsed did the child answer, his mouth wordlessly spelling out the answer. "Because the living make so much better commanders than the dead."
Tara Faolan (played by Iltheyn) Topic Starter

The warrior walked outside the tent after a bit of searching, having a general idea of where the knight usually was but not wanting to impede on anything important. She started with saying, "Katja?" on the outside, holding the package gingerly in her right hand. "Marcello is fine, but there are at least two people outside camp and an odd stranger passed by; he left me with a package for you."

_

The rogue in the trees clung onto Atoli, grappling with her a small while until he inevitably lost balance on the oak branch. He didn't let go, however, resulting in a tumbling fall down part of the tree; to avoid further injury he moved a hand away from the harpy's mouth and grabbed onto a smaller branch, which creaked under their collective weight. In the short moment he had the attacker scrambled with his feet to try and find purchase on another wooden limb beneath; he didn't really know if there was any luck to be found there, as he couldn't see beyond the puffed feathers of Atoli.

_

Kerik was as baffled as he was horrified. Just what is this kid?! If Tom's words implied that he would be forced to serve anyway, the bandit felt it imperative to comply. Dying was one matter but undead servitude was, as far as he knew, much worse than that. He hardly acknowledged the doctor's words, though he wished he had the energy and focus to warn him of what was going on. Instead he just nodded- to show he wasn't ignoring his captors and to also signal to Tom his compliance.

_

The guard smiled at Merthyr as long as they walked, stopping outside the tavern and giving the man a friendly wave and, "Farewell!" as he moved to enter. The sight inside the building was not nearly as pleasant to behold.

Most of the bandits who were awake at this hour were there; some were drinking and eating, others were preparing for their rounds for the day, and some were dancing or pestering the few villagers serving them with unwanted advances and mean-spirited jests. Almost all of them looked up at Tydfil when he entered, and a sliding, scraping noise signaled that the front door was barred shut once the man fully entered the room. Some were human, others were elves, orcs and other 'mythical' beings small enough to reside in the tavern. There were at least thirty of them in the front room, and judging by those beginning to stand and unsheathe weapons they knew the prince was not one of their's.

Grum turned from his place at the bar, having previously been discussing something with a scout when he heard the door open and close behind him. He saw the newcomer and couldn't help but laugh. "Oh... They had you fooled, didn't they?"

"Have me fooled?... absolutely... all seems so calm outside whilst inside... it's... well... a chaotic party of sorts.... I suppose..." half agreed Merthyr reluctantly not at all accustomed to the harassment these guards were displaying so openly. "Good masquerade..." muttered Merthyr retorting his lips disgusted at the realness of some. "I trust you to know these non-existent creatures you portray are banned throughout the kingdom under penalty of death? You might be hanged if you keep this charade up... not to say you'll frighten the villagers" scolded the young king

"An ale for the guard outside, one for him and one for me, please..." ordered Merthyr slamming a handful gold pieces on the tabletop absent minded getting himself, Grum and the guard a drink each out of courtesy if anything else, busy looking into the travel bag to extract the parchments of the royal warrants

"Here... the bounty is higher now... I'll inform lord Pentre these have been delivered..." muttered Merthyr sliding the bounty reward notices across for Grum to take a look, his name clearly featured but with no face at all or drawing of any kind. He tapped the worktop with his fingertips waiting for the drinks

"anyways ... what sort of creature are you dressed up as? you look quite the part" complimented Merthyr glancing at Grum wearily a sense of mild dread invading him as the aggression displayed was out of line for a party. He lowered his arms discretely and cautiously, hand quickly grasping the daggers tightly ready to strike and break out if needed be, unless... it endangered the villagers

As the two fell partway down the tree, one branch slammed and skidded across the harpy’s back. Atoli cried out, tears springing to her eyes. The burst of pain seemed to momentarily stun her into stillness. She could feel no ground beneath her feet as they hung from the branch the man had grabbed onto. The harpy blinked hard and looked at the person who still had a hold of her; Her small chest heaved in and out, feeling both panicked and enraged.

Let.Me.Go...Now!” She wanted to sound fierce, but the pain from her back caused her voice to warble. Feathers gently twirled to the forest floor from the spot where she had hit the branch before. Her feet came up to try to grab onto the man (likely his legs or shirt), her long talons seeking to bury themselves into anything for a hold in case he did indeed drop her, or to forcefully shove him away should he pull out a weapon, though that seemed unlikely seeing how both his hands were occupied.
Katja Sauer (played by paranoid_party)

Katja looked up and smiled, "Ah, thank you. We're getting ready to move into the village, take a nice sized group and go attack. You're welcome to join." She took the package, opening it up and poking through the contents, "...parchment...?" The blonde stared quizically at the papers, "Who was this from...?

Hearing the noise once again, this time Marcello went running out of the circle, following the strange scent again, "Hello?! Is someone there, what's going on!!" He could hear the rustling of trees, but with all these trees around it was hard to judge how deep into the forest he would have to wander. And then again, would he even want to?

"He needs time to rest." The elf said, once finished with his work, "You two can leave the te--"
"No, no." Drake cut the man off, and the doctor looked irritated by it, "Shortie here made a deal with me. He's interrogating the prison now." The orc looked to Tom, "I want all the details about his boss, his fellow bandits, species details, any living villagers. Whatever he knows, I want the information." Drake's stubborn nature was putting them in a bad situation; had he agreed to the resting period, perhaps Kerik would've been able to warn them about Tom. His actions only gave Tom more time to set his plan in motion.

Tom looked up at Drake as he interrupted the doctor and gave him a huge appreciative grin, his little face lighting up. "Thank you, Mister orc! You held your part of the bargain and saved Mister bandit and so I guess I have to do my part now, ooh this is going to be exciting!"

His entire body language spoke of a youthful and innocent joy at the opportunity to question Kerik, only compounded upon by the way in which he tried to get into what was clearly supposed to be an intimidating pose and utterly failing at it. "Now mister bandit, listen up you have to answer my questions now! Okay so who is your boss? How many of you are there? What's your reasoning for attacking them? How many of the people who lived there have you killed and what have you done with their bodies?" The questions tumbled out, with barely enough time between each to answer them.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Raid of Aftbide (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus