Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » A Funny Conundrum...

So I need some help.

Y'see, I've got this character named Johnathan Typhus. And today after weeks of developing a more human persona for him, I realized that no one in their right mind would work for a man named after a disease.

I'm willing to ignore this when it comes to his being an Emperor, because he rules on a planet that has no idea what the disease known as 'typhus' is (to be honest, I doubt I recognized it either when I made this character years ago). But as a human executive of a big company elsewhere, which is named after him, this... could be a problem.

So now I'm stuck wondering something: should I leave his last name for his human 'guise as is and just wing-it (who knows, it could be amusing having folks point out his name's implications), or should I strive to find an actual last name (or just something that isn't 'typhus')?
Witness

"Typhus Enterprises: We have an epidemic of good customer service ratings! Our prices are infectiously low!"

XD I'll stop now. Personally, I don't think that this is such a big problem. Could make for an interesting talking point, and, when you think about it, I'm sure lots of words that mean something completely different in another language/culture have humorous or embarrassing connotations to us. My vote is to stick with it, but watch out for illness jokes. :P
Ilmarinen Moderator

XD I'd stick with it! Plenty of people have compromising last names and still are successful. And it's worth a giggle!
Copper_Dragon Topic Starter

*chinstrokes* Hmm... maybe you two have a point. Hadn't really thought of it that way-- just seemed suddenly very off-putting to work under someone named after 'typhus', even if I didn't do it deliberately.
There is a composer named Edmund Butt.

Just... just saying.

I think Typhus is fine! :B
Sanne Moderator

You could totally stick to the Dutch pronunciation of Tyfus. XD
Claine Moderator

Sanne wrote:
You could totally stick to the Dutch pronunciation of Tyfus. XD

This is an excellent idea Sanne! It also gives the character some heritage :D
Ilmarinen Moderator

Wizard wrote:
There is a composer named Edmund Butt.

I giggled incessantly.

... :B And I log on to a delightful chat explosion while I was in sleepland! Ilu guys.

@Ed-- I was not aware of that! Another good point to add to the good points of keepiness (I'd contribute, but all the ones I know are... inappropriate for this forum!)

@Sanne & Claine-- Ooh good point. "Tea-fuss", isn't that what it was, Sanne? I wouldn't put it past him to lie further about his heritage-- human!Typhus already claims Irish as part of his blood, and that one's generally a bit more doubtful than the others.

@Heimdall-- Stop that! This is a non-giggle-zone! You're a dragon-- roar with laughter!

... it's 10:35 AM, I can post kind of on-topic-but-silly if I wanna. >:T
Minerva

I live near a road named Butte Creek. In the south, many people pronounce Creek as Crick. Therefore, I live near Butte Crick. People still take the road, and I imagine people will still work for a Typhus.

Thank you very much for the insight, Minerva, but I actually decided I was going to stick with it right around the time I made my previous post.

(Also interestingly enough, I... don't say crick! Not sure if anyone on Dad's side does; I guess it's sort of like 'tomAYto' vs 'tomAHto'.)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » A Funny Conundrum...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus