Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Lightning Round RP (OPEN, play now!)

Avary and Connery (played anonymously)

She almost tumbled off the branch to stay put. Practically hugging the main body of the tree she peered down. "Ah, is there..? It was only a nibble." She couldn't get that image out of her mind and was just a little frightened now.
Safiye (played by Kim) Topic Starter

"My dear." Her voice is warm, as if speaking to a treasured friend who has said something particularly amusing. "What am I going to do with a nibbled on apple? They're only good to me intact. All their juices inside."

Ave thought on that. It was true. But she guessed a replacement apple wouldn't do. "Perhaps eat it now before the juices run out?" Always a practical solution, but this woman was intimidating her more and more and it was getting hard to think while avoiding panic.

She pouts. It's adorable. Her eyes twinkle. It's... intense. "Come now, let's be reasonable. What is it you do, exactly?"

"I sing, if we mingle with people. But we live from what nature provides." It was unsettling how she couldn't decide between liking this woman or being afraid, although fear was a priority right now.

Safiye is delighted. It seems to be genuine. "So you do mingle with people. How wonderful. In that case I have a little proposition for you that should take care of all of this nicely."

Connery was closing in in response to her distress, but she told him to keep his distance through their shared link. The last thing she needed was him doing his usual thing, threatening this woman and making things a hundredfold worse. Still, she seemed a little more keen on sticking around for this. "You wish of me to sing for you?"

"By some definitions of the word. My dear, have you ever heard the phrase 'a little bird told me'?"

Ave shook her head, clearly confused. "I'm afraid not. What does it mean?"

"It means that sometimes people are a bit careless when they think no one is interested in their conversations. It means that sometimes, people overhear things and see that the information gets to where it can be best used. To be precise, what I want from you is to listen while you do your mingling, while you perform for milling crowds that chit chat amongst themselves, if you overhear something of value, perhaps something pertaining to me, my lands, or my neighbors, you'll come and tell me. That's all. That's not an unreasonable request to pay for my apples, is it?"

She gave Safiye's words several moments of consideration. Con was eavesdropping as well, and while he was ruffling his feathers at such a shameful request of using Ave for a dang apple, the prospect of being sociable with a cause thrilled Ave. It resonated in her voice.

"That sounds very fair, ma'am. It might help to know your name so I know when those conversations pertain to you."

"Oh good. I'm so glad we could resolve that." Her expression has softened considerably. "I am the Lady Safiye of the house of Riverthorne. It may also be pertinent that my daughter's name is Arianna, and that two days ride from here the Aria Academy is named in her honor. And just to make certain we avoid further misunderstandings, let's be very clear right now." Suddenly, the smile is gone, and Safiye is dead serious. All of her imperiousness come to bear on poor Avary. "This isn't nature. It's my domain. Whoever makes up the rest of your 'we'? Make certain they know as well."

"I will keep that in mind, Lady Safiye." She had a good memory to do just that. When her smile was gone, Ave's relief was too. "My husband. He knows now, too." She bowed her head to the woman. "I will take my leave now then, milady." Frightened terribly, Ave leaped, changed and was gone in the mist in a matter of seconds.

Safiye's smiles was back the moment Avary assured her that the other bird knew the rules now, too. Pests are a terrible problem in an orchard, of course. She turns the horse's head and trots on.

(OOC: I loved this! I have the need for speed! I will definitely be doing this again soon. Next time I will use a different character and setting so other people have a chance to bring their characters out to play. :) )

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Lightning Round RP (OPEN, play now!)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus