Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Clearer on the content ratings?

Ilmarinen Moderator

Also, swiftly, you mention that the rules should state this:
Quote:
would you walk into a classroom of third graders and feel comfortable saying or describing it?

Currently, the rules do state this:
Quote:
The sensibility that ultimately defines PG-13 is "I wouldn't want my kid to see that."

How do you feel these two statements differ? If what's in the rules is unclear, maybe it can be improved--but, personally, I don't see much difference!

Also, Sanne is absolutely right. A minor infraction like this does NOT mean you are considered a horrible rulebreaking pariah!
Dragoncat Topic Starter

Heimdall wrote:
Also, Sanne is absolutely right. A minor infraction like this does NOT mean you are considered a horrible rulebreaking pariah!
Yeah, I realized that from the beginning, but I still felt bad.

I guess now that it's been laid out that clarifying the rules would be too much work, maybe...link to this thread from the rules page? That way we'd have some more clarification like I asked for, but without the big overhaul that Kim may or may not be able to or want to do. How about that? Compromise?
Hello! I just wanted to come in and voice my support for some clarification on content rating guidelines, because...I actually read the content rating rules when I first signed up, and I agree that it's important to take precautions in regards to content. It makes it an, overall, more pleasant experience for everyone involved.

That said, I take this very seriously, as I am more commonly in the company of adults than I am with minors, and I didn't want to step on any toes or say something that would cause trouble.

Unfortunately, I used an abbreviation a couple times in the public chat that I didn't realize (initially) contained an above-PG-13 obscenity. For reference, it was the more obscene version of 'LMAO' (I had been told by everyone I know that the additional abbreviation stood for 'fat', and not what the moderator told me it stood for; I was actually pretty shocked and upset to learn that it also had another, less savory meaning). I also had to request a list of abbreviations and words that were banned from usage (many of which I find crude and disgusting, myself), so I wouldn't have this happen again.

The current guidelines are quite vague and subjective, and I would very much like more specific, concrete guidelines before I suddenly get another PM from a moderator saying I said something I literally did not mean to say!
Dragoncat Topic Starter

IlexysCrowe wrote:
Hello! I just wanted to come in and voice my support for some clarification on content rating guidelines, because...I actually read the content rating rules when I first signed up, and I agree that it's important to take precautions in regards to content. It makes it an, overall, more pleasant experience for everyone involved.

That said, I take this very seriously, as I am more commonly in the company of adults than I am with minors, and I didn't want to step on any toes or say something that would cause trouble.

Unfortunately, I used an abbreviation a couple times in the public chat that I didn't realize (initially) contained an above-PG-13 obscenity. For reference, it was the more obscene version of 'LMAO' (I had been told by everyone I know that the additional abbreviation stood for 'fat', and not what the moderator told me it stood for; I was actually pretty shocked and upset to learn that it also had another, less savory meaning). I also had to request a list of abbreviations and words that were banned from usage (many of which I find crude and disgusting, myself), so I wouldn't have this happen again.

The current guidelines are quite vague and subjective, and I would very much like more specific, concrete guidelines before I suddenly get another PM from a moderator saying I said something I literally did not mean to say!

Yes, thank you! I, too, read the content guidelines.
Dragoncat wrote:

Yes, thank you! I, too, read the content guidelines.

OH, I'm sure you did!

(In case it sounded like I was assuming you didn't, sorry about that! ^^; )

The point being: there's a serious communication issue here!

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Clearer on the content ratings?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus