Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Bury Dead Threads

I don't know how well this would work logistically, as I have no knowledge of programming and such, but here's my thought;
There's been a lot of accidental necroing of old threads happening lately. Is it possible to set up something that makes an old thread 'auto-lock' after X amount of time (ex; a year) of inactivity? That way, if it's an idea that someone posted long ago but they want to revive, they can still copy-paste. But it would keep old threads from coming back up by new commenters.
Obviously the only completely solid way to prevent necroing is for commenters to just be more aware of the original post's time, but still, this might be helpful?
The mods did have some discussion of this amongst ourselves, primarily where the introduction topics were concerned; The initial thought seems to be that if we did that, to some extent we would risk cutting off conversations between new members and old. It would definitely require some thought and further discussion as to how to implement a feature like that.

But regarding things such as looking for topics, forum games, &c, I could definitely see this having merit. We do have a notification at the top of each thread if the post is a certain "age", but people (including myself!) don't always take notice of that/consider its implications.
Ilmarinen Moderator

In general, auto locks seem like a good idea, though maybe the OP has the ability to unlock it.

But sometimes old threads are the bee's knees and I'd rather revive them. For example, there was an old thread about Hero Forge, and last year I necro'd it to say something like "it has grown so much, check it oot!" And I like that!
CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

Heimdall wrote:
In general, auto locks seem like a good idea, though maybe the OP has the ability to unlock it.

But sometimes old threads are the bee's knees and I'd rather revive them. For example, there was an old thread about Hero Forge, and last year I necro'd it to say something like "it has grown so much, check it oot!" And I like that!

This is a good point! Maybe limit the auto-locking to RP threads?
RedLantern

Copper_Dragon wrote:
The mods did have some discussion of this amongst ourselves, primarily where the introduction topics were concerned; The initial thought seems to be that if we did that, to some extent we would risk cutting off conversations between new members and old. It would definitely require some thought and further discussion as to how to implement a feature like that.

But regarding things such as looking for topics, forum games, &c, I could definitely see this having merit. We do have a notification at the top of each thread if the post is a certain "age", but people (including myself!) don't always take notice of that/consider its implications.

You could make something like a reminder to show up inbox or on home page for the one who opened the topic asking "Do you still play? If not please close the topic......(...)"!!:)

The idea of celestina is very nice, and by hazard I asked almooost similar kind of question to Kim today.
Kim Site Admin

RedLantern wrote:
You could make something like a reminder to show up inbox or on home page for the one who opened the topic asking "Do you still play? If not please close the topic......(...)"!!:)

Interestingly, something very much like this is underway!

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Bury Dead Threads

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus