Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Help a fellow out?

Okay guys, here's the deal. I've tried my friends on MSN, my friends on Facebook and my friends on deviantART. You guys are all that's left. xD

My mom has a Nook, my dad has a Kindle. I love reading books on my dad's Kindle (mainly Pride & Prejudice. Mom just got her Nook this week so I have no knowledge of how it works xD). My friend's friend just got his fairytale story published for Nook.
Here's the help I need;

I'm considering checking out making one of my own short story series, called 'Letters To A Rockstar', an eBook. But I don't even know how I would begin to do this. I've searched it on Bing and haven't come up with very helpful things for a newbie-might-be-publisher. Do you guys have any knowledge about this kind of stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help or words of advice. :) This is only speculation at the moment, I'll probably have to wait until I'm just a little older before I can publish or something. xD
Kim Site Admin

My advice is to write the book first. What format it ends up in is a secondary concern to the actual quality of the work.

ePublishing is really easy these days, and doesn't even require you to convince a publisher to sign you on in many cases. You do not have to be any specific age to publish, but you may need to get your parents to sign some things for you. Be aware that the easy part of self publishing is getting it published. Having anyone read it after you publish it requires you to be a relentless and savvy self-promoter.

You can publish yourself on the Kindle: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin

Apparently if you publish through smashwords, they will sell your work on kindle, the nook and their own site, but I've never used them so do your own research: http://www.smashwords.com/

Here is a good article about things you need to know to self publish: http://reviews.cnet.com/self-publishing/
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Lulu is a pretty well known self publishing site as well. I recently had a few copies of a comic I wrote printed through them for my own use but you can sell through them, they print on demand. I do believe they have epublishing services as well but I didn't look into that.

As Kim said, write the book first :)
CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

Thanks so much! :)
And actually yes. I do have it written. It was on my DeviantART for a while but I just recently stored all but the prologue and the first chapter (since I figure that might interfere with people wanting to buy it, if they can just access it online xD). I have it all saved on my computer though and I can pull it out of storage at any time.

It's pretty small. Each chapter is one 'letter', save for perhaps one or two chapters. Over all I think it's thirteen 'chapters' and the end. And of course the prologue if I decide to include that. The prologue is actually a short little story I wrote on a prompt, and then I took the idea and made 'Letters To A Rockstar' with it.
Kim Site Admin

Don't forget to vigorously edit it before you try to publish it! :)

Definitely! :)

(I could probably use some help with that x.x)

Kim, the links on that Kindle article are out-of-date :x
Kim Site Admin

In what way? All three links work for me.

Clicking your link works. But clicking the links on that page just takes me to a page that says it's not available or it's moved or something.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Help a fellow out?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus