Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Dice suggestions

rat

So far we have the ability to add multiple separate dice rolls to a post, which is fair for a small handful of dice, or if those rolls each have different modifiers, but there are cases where it wouldn't be as convenient (or concise) as rolling a bucket of dice and seeing the results broken down in one block of info.

In some games you'll be rolling on average 10 dice at a time, and those individual dice rolls are needed to determine the result. For example, in Shadowrun you only use d6s, but you can use a LOT of them, and a roll of a 5 or a 6 is a success, while a 1 is a glitch. So you need to tally those up to see how you did overall, and understandably, the amount of separate rolls you can make per post is limited to prevent big walls of rolls.

So what I'm visualizing to work around this while keeping it neat is something you can toggle with a "Show results of each dice" checkbox (included modifier and total for a complete example, modifiers don't work this way in Shadowrun) -

Rat rolled 6d6 and got (after applying a -1 modifier): (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)= 15 total

While we're at that, if possible, there could be options to highlight rolls that are = to, > or < chosen numbers. So = 1 and > 5 here as those are the numbers to look out for in the Shadowrun example.

Rat rolled 5d6 and got (after applying a -1 modifier): (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)= 15 total

And if we're getting real fancy, maybe a way to save certain dice roll settings as presets to pick from a dropdown? Would be useful for the = 1 and > 5, or even for weapon attacks and such.

At the moment me and my pals are using roll20 for its dice system, but I'd love to be able to keep all of my RP in one place as much as possible, so it'd be great to have some more nuanced dice features here. :)
Kim Site Admin

These are great suggestions I will keep in mind. :)

For games where you need the individual results, you can already add up to ten individual dice rolls to a post, so you can get those individual results. We're unlikely to add another method of doing that particular thing.
rat Topic Starter

Whee! With the Shadowrun example 10 dice is the lower end of the scale (and IIRC the World of Darkness games and Exalted involve a lot of dice too), so the current method of rolling ends up a bit time consuming and usually isn't sufficient, but I'm excited to have provided some thought food. :D

Oh, also - it's currently a bit of a struggle adding multiple separate dice rolls to a RP while using the chat function as there's no way to scroll to the send button other than Tab and patience. :P
Kitten

I think this is a good idea, and in fact I was wondering about it a little while ago, because when I tried to do multiple rolls in a row it said I had to do something else.
rat Topic Starter

Kitten wrote:
I think this is a good idea, and in fact I was wondering about it a little while ago, because when I tried to do multiple rolls in a row it said I had to do something else.

Thanks for chipping in! I'm wondering if you mean the 'You can't send a blank message'? I put a little 1, 2, 3 etc in the message box to get around that. :) I think it's to help prevent spam.

But that does remind me - whenever I forget, and 'Edit and Try Again', it just posts without the dice roll. It's just a minor inconvenience but it'd be cool if that were tweaked too.
Kitten

Yeah, that's what I meant. I get how it helps to prevent spam, but if you could roll multiple at once then it would have a total of less spam overall anyway, I think.
rat Topic Starter

Kitten wrote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I get how it helps to prevent spam, but if you could roll multiple at once then it would have a total of less spam overall anyway, I think.

I do agree there - the reason I need to make multiple dice posts is because of the 10 dice limit. I've managed to avoid spamming up the RP itself by making a group PM specifically for dice rolls, but it's still a little fiddly and time consuming.
Kim Site Admin

All of this is good to know, thanks for the scenarios! :)
rat Topic Starter

I super appreciate you taking this on board! <3

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Dice suggestions

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus