Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Bleak Frontier

Kyana Sunstrider (played anonymously)

Humanity's entrance into the intergalactic fold wasn't one of grandeur and surprise. The many other races traversing the galaxy knew of earth's initial struggle to break into the realm of feasible space travel. When the first humans made contact with a junker running its way between space ports, they were referred to a representative of the Interstellar Alliance. From that point on, humanity has found itself hilariously outmatched in terms of technology and knowledge of the universe. However, this didn't stop humans from joining the alliance and settling themselves in to play catch up with all the new tech they were faced with. Now you'd be hard pressed to find an Interstellar Alliance Vessel without its own human on it. Crawling into spaces too tight for the larger races and working on technology that just several decades ago seemed impossible, the humans excelled in their little niche. Sure there were inevitable growing pains with adding a new race into the fold, but with trade flowing between earth and the rest of the galaxy, humanity has never prospered more. Talks are being held to allow humanity to expand its populace to other planets so they may take root and thrive as the other races do but for now humans are comfortable where they're at. Question is, where do you fit in?
((intriguing! May I join?))
Kyana Sunstrider (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Wren Aurelia Foster wrote:
((intriguing! May I join?))

I would love it if you did! It could be PM rp or this. To be honest I'm not very used to forums yet. I'm new here. :P
We can RP on this, it makes it easier for others to join... :D

Well alright then! I more or less gave the background of the universe, where do you think we should start off? Or is there anything else that needs clarification?
Well, where is the central location of the plot going to be?

Well, where is the central location of the plot going to be?

I figure a central star port somewhere in the milky way that has a large base of operations for the Interstellar Alliance as well as some shadier parts that are harder to police. The atmosphere I'm going for here is that its kind of hard to police the galaxy because of how easy it is to hide but the presence of the IA military/police forces make some places a watering hole for those who want to stay safe. (Excellent opportunity for world building here. Might eventually turn this into a group. :P)
Cool! You want to start?
sorry for late reply

Kyana wiped a bead of sweat from her brow and returned her hands to the thick handle of the wrench she was wielding be. The screech of part long overdue for maintenance being pulled apart caused several passersby to hold their hands over their ears and look upon the red headed mechanic with annoyance. Kyana simply let a puff of air pass through her lips to get a strand of hair from her eyes as she strained and finally lurched back with a gunked up and unrecognizable part in her hands. She whistled and tossed the thing from hand to hand before patting one of the armored plates of the mech's leg.

"No wonder you were walkin' funny, Kody. This vericoupler looks like its thirty years old!" The tall grey mech looked down at the women with one of those glowing ocular units and swapped apertures before his deep voice rang out from the external speakers. "Sensors indicate another three hundred and twenty five operational hours with that vericouple. I was NOT walking funny." Kyana laughed and tossed the old part into the open bay of her ship, a small junker just large enough to haul some scrap and her mech. The two of them were currently on one of the old loading bays on the far end of the star port, Gerradin, where it was a little more quiet.
Wren was lost. She had no idea where she was going. The world--universe-- had gotten a lot weirder ever since the day we found that we weren't the only one's in the galaxy. In the universe. It was amazing. She was sent up as a representative for the United States. All the countries demanded to have representation, and the Alliance agreed because they didn't need another intergalactic war. What the hell am I thinking? This was only theoretical a year ago... and now we're here.

In her midst of thought, Wren stumbled into a person. A mechanic. A forager? She didn't know. "Oh gosh I'm sorry..." She says. Her face was red with embarrassment. "Could you possibly direct me to.." She looked down at a sheet of paper, "Conference Room C?" She said, looking up at the red-haired woman. She stood up and wiped herself off, afterwards, offering her hand to help the woman up.

Kyana was about to grab a replacement vericoupler from her ship when she was suddenly staring at the dome far above the star port that kept the atmosphere in. Its true that since humanity extended its reach into the stars and discovered they weren't alone that things had gotten weird. However, after a decade or two things had settled into some level of normalcy in which Kyana had been raised to work on just about any technology aside from the ones that were designed for entirely separate races. Getting back up to her feet with the woman's help, Kyana dusted herself off as well and grinned at the lost looking woman.

"Conference room C, huh? Well you're on the wrong end of the star port. The commercial buildings are in B District and you're in F District, cargo drop off. Coincidentally, I need to make my way to B District because no trader in their right might is going to have some of the parts I need. I'll have to order them. The red headed mechanic extended a gloved hand and gave a slight grin towards the flustered and apparently clumsy woman. "Name is Kyana, that's Kody." She gestured towards the mech above her.
"Pleasure, I'm Wren." She gives her a toothy grin, and shakes Kyana's hand. She looks at the parts surrounding a man, and the scattered assortment of tools. "Pretty good with your hands are you?" She asks. She picks one up. It looked similar to what her dad used when repairing cars. "Are you a mechanic?" She asks curiously. "You know, my boss was hesitant on sending me here because of my lack of navigational skills." She chuckles. "I knew something was off when I saw ships loading. I guess that should've been a hint to turn around, but, you live you learn."

((I'm sorry I gtg))

"Pleasure, I'm Wren." She gives her a toothy grin, and shakes Kyana's hand. She looks at the parts surrounding a man, and the scattered assortment of tools. "Pretty good with your hands are you?" She asks. She picks one up. It looked similar to what her dad used when repairing cars. "Are you a mechanic?" She asks curiously. "You know, my boss was hesitant on sending me here because of my lack of navigational skills." She chuckles. "I knew something was off when I saw ships loading. I guess that should've been a hint to turn around, but, you live you learn."

((I'm sorry I gtg))

It's okay, we can continue later. Just let me know when you're around again.
((I'm back))

At being asked as to whether or not she was a mechanic, Kyana gave a little chuckle. "I suppose I'm a mechanic of sorts. Mostly I'm good with tech because I've been tinkering around with this, that, and the other for as long as I can remember. I grew on this junker of a ship and hauling scrap has been something I've done for a long time. Though recently I used part of that profession to build Kody here and we tour the mech arenas whenever we need the credits."

Kody looked down from above them and chimed in with his own little blurb. "Our combat efficiency rating exceeds eighty seven percent." Kyana looked up at him and patted the mech's armored leg. "We've been all over and seen a lot. But what about you? Someone without a sense of direction seems like a lost cause in the middle of the milky way. What brings you out here..?" Kyana grabbed a rag and wiped her hands off before sticking the fabric in her back pocket. She listened for an answer as she grabbed a new vericoupler and began installing it into Kody's leg.
What am I doing here? Why did the president choose me? ME of all people! Wren thinks. Maybe he felt bad for me, and knew I was a lost cause so he sent me up to space, hoping he'd never have to see me again. She brushes away the thought. It was just nervous jitters. That's all. "I'm representing the United States of America for the Alliance." She said, trying to seem like she was a fraction of importance. Wren observes Kody a bit more, and realizes he's a robot. "OH! He's a robot!" She blurts out. She winces at the absence of attention to detail she had.

Wren felt uncomfortable in this outfit. It strayed from her usual standards of jeans and a t-shirt. Instead she wore some dress pants and an army green blouse. The colors contrasted with her skin and hair, which was a fiery red as well. "Wait, so are you human? You said you grew up on a ship?" She asks, just realizing it now.
((I take a while to type XD))

(For reference, I probably should have made it more clear in the background post at the beginning that all of this takes place roughly twenty years after the Humans were accepted into the alliance)

Kyana grinned. "Yup! Earth born and bred. My adoptive father was from the USA and I was apparently born in Iowa but I was young when my real parents decided to set out to the great frontier where the eventually gave me up for some credits and a bit of food. I ended up with my adoptive dad and he raised me on this junker fixing anything and everything. It wasn't till a few years ago that I built Kody from the ground up."

Kyana finished installing that vericoupler and slid the access panel closed, covering it. Kody's leg whirred to life and the massive mech flexed the limb experimentally before taking a few steps, his bulk shaking the metal beneath them. "I am satisfied with the repair, I am confident it will work efficiently for a long time." The red headed mechanic shook her head with a laugh and toyed with a mechanism on her wrist which caused the doors of her ship to close and lock up tight to prevent thieves from getting into it. "Looks like Kodiak is all better, care for a lift?"

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Bleak Frontier

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus