Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The reason why you love your favorite band so much

Basicly, as the title states, try explaing why you made your favorite band/singer your favorite. Was because of their music? Or the emotional feeling in the lyrics their songs give you? Or is just that their music speaks to you?

The reason Linkin Park is my favorite band is because even though some might not hear or feel it, each one of their songs have a deep emotionally feeling. I also think that it is great that most of their music videos are based on true stories about families and soldiers of the military branches in the U.S.A. Also, through my whole life form sixth grade to now, I have listened to their music and because of them I have been able to get through all the rough, painful, heartacheing times in my life. I would usually drown myself on my mystery but their music has showed me that you can be strong in this weaken times, you can hold your own when everything is trying to push you down. They have showed me so much in the short few years I have listened to them and that what makes them so great to me is even though they are old, many people know about them because their songs speak of true events in life and not nosence that has nothing to do with the real world. My math teacher had no clue I listened to them until I texted her about the math homework and on my singature was "Castle of Glass by Linkin Park". She was completely stun by the fact that I listen to this band. They also speak of rage, saddness, heartache, death, regert, and everything that everyone feels.

Now, tell me why you made your favorite band your favorite. I want to know why they mean so much to you. :)
I have way too many bands to pick a true favorite.

But... if I absolutely had to... it would be Volbeat.

I was introduced to them by a cousin that was living in Denmark. He knew I loved music, period, and I've been listening to them ever since. Of all the musicians I've gotten to meet face to face (Ville Valo, Nate Barcalow & Alex Pappas, Bert McCracken, Chester Bennington, Frankie Iero, Lars Ulrich & Hetfield, etc. *is a concert junkie* ) Michael Poulsen has been one of the most gracious, humble, and genuinely deserving of his fans. I have one of his guitar picks and a Polaroid picture of him and myself that he was awesome enough to sign.

He had cared enough to ask me how I had heard of them (I should probably mention that this wasn't their concert. This was Volbeat's first time playing in the US and they were with Mettalica for the World Magnetic Tour about 4ish years ago.), when I told him that I was a big percent Dane and had family in Copenhagen who had told me about them he thought it was the best thing ever. I got to stay after the concert and talk to them up until about the time they had to leave. He was simply amazing, I also got to meet Anders Kjolholm and talk to him for a bit as well, but I will always be pretty much star struck by Poulsen. :3
Even though it's difficult for a metalhead to have an absolute favorite, if I'd have to make to make a choice, it'd be Alestorm. Not because they make the best music in the world, not because they have the most meaningful lyrics, but because they are so much fun!

Their music is always about the pirate theme. The rhythm and instruments are based upon them, and the lyrics always tell a tale of pirates and their wacky adventures. It's an easy genre to get it into as well. 90 % of their songs are jolly and sound amazing! They even cover children's songs such as Lazytown's 'You are a pirate', this just proves they're having fun with their music.

I've also witnessed them live at Belgium's metal festival, Graspop, last year. Once you see them live the above statement that they're having fun with their music is proved once more. From jumping around on stage to throwing cake in each other's face, they're a load of fun, and therefore I dare say they're one of the greatest bands in existence.

TL;DR: Alestorm in a nutshell.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Man, Alestorm is good! I saw them live a few years ago. I remember doing a metal line-dance-mosh to Nancy the Tavern Wench and it was awesome.

My favorite band is Korpiklaani because of their vast range. There are songs and albums by other bands that I like more, but as a whole, Korpiklaani is the best. They put out a lot of music and their style is always very distinctive while not being boxed in to one exact sound. They have drinking songs, songs about mythology and old stories, songs revering nature and shamanism, political songs, sad songs, angry songs, happy songs... the list goes on. They also put on killer live shows! It's a hell of an experience.

The singer also learned the art of the yoik when he was in northern Finland with the Sami people. So there's a lot of that in the music, and it's awesome! And because it's folk metal, you get electric guitars and heavy riffs alongside violins and accordions.

Vodka: fun party song
Rauta: song about makin' swords--mythological references to the Kalevala
Tuli Kokko: can't even really describe it (this has been my favorite song for 5 years)
Northern Fall: happy dancey song about the fall coming :D
Spirit of the Forest: exactly what it says on the tin!
My would have to be Barenaked Ladies. (They're actually really PG, despite their name)

Ever since a young age, I loved this group, my favorite when I was a kid was 'If I had a million dollars' but now ,y favorite would have to be 'Enid'. Their tape 'Gordan' was the first I ever owned and I still have it and listen to it like crazy. Even though my brothers laugh at me whenever I take the tape out to flip it, I love the Nostalgia feel that goes with it.
mine would have to be susumu hirasawa. his voice is just beautiful. i discovered him when i got into berserk and then found all his amazing music. he has done work for paprika, paranoia agent, millenium actress, etc. not only does he sing but he also composes all his music and plays everything himself. his music really speaks to me and inspires me. if i could marry his voice i would. you should all check him out.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The reason why you love your favorite band so much

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus