Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Waxing Poetic

Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Other Characters wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Thats really deep. And the vocabulary used here is so sophisticated. And the nature imagery is beautiful. This is really excellent! Above my pay grade, because I never even try to follow a certain format.

And...the reference to the outback, and the format of a comment in italics below the actual poem, and the hiiiiiiiighly literate nature of this makes me think I know who you are. Mwahaha

You flatter me, truly. Not that I don’t appreciate it, of course. However, I can honestly tell you that I have never spoken to anyone who has posted on this forum. So, unless there’s something going on that I don’t know about, it’s improbable that you know who I am. :)

All of your poems are beautiful, by the way. All of everyone’s poems.

Oh ok. Then you're somebody else than who I thought. But yep, I stand by my compliments. It's a beautiful piece of poetry so thanks for sharing!

To those who might say this is not poetic, I would argue, that it has a simile in it, so it's poetic.

Waxing poetic. About life.

So....I feel sometimes like I've just gotten myself detatched enough from reality to enjoy myself, and then someone senses that like a shark with a sense for blood. And they come and metaphorically grab my head and dunk it back into the icy cold water of reality that I had just escaped from.

And you have an argument. Over some minor, STUPID thing. And it's just enough to drag you out of your bliss and back into your reality that sucks. And it doesn't... really....suck. But it's just...it's reality, you know? It's mundane, it's too much work, it's endless, the time drags on. I just wanna get away. And I do. And then--bam!--a flipping argument about nothing just to get my attention. Why? Just let me be. Let me go into my little world. You can't go with me. But maybe if you weren't trying to drag me back in such a crass, in-your-face, accuse-you-of-something, criticise-you manner, I'd want to be here in reality more. It's just small and stupid, but it's 100 times a day. And it adds up, and it adds up, and it adds up until you just see if it's possible to not talk, to avoid the minor, trivial undercurrent of conflict. You make a game of it. "How much can I not talk? How few words can I say? How do I say this in the fewest words possible?"

And all the motivation you had for the day when you woke up in the morning. Which was still there when you were on your way. The tiny argument drains it right out of you. Like a little straw draining blood or something. And by the time you get to where you're going, you don't want to go in.

You need a break.

"Why do you need a break after only driving for 20 minutes?"

"I just do. I'm staying here for a while. You go in. I'll catch up with you."

"Why?"

"I can't explain it. I just need a break."

"A break from what?"

"..."

"?"

"From...just...nothing."

All of a sudden, things that were easy seem hard, because you always feel like you're going to do something wrong. You feel like somehow you'll get into another argument about absolute trivial nothingness. It makes you just want to stop where you are and hunker down and keep what you've got, and not try, and not take any risk. Just. Preserve.
Man, I feel this work should be recognized. I feel that sometimes, too!

Subtleknifewielder wrote:
Man, I feel this work should be recognized. I feel that sometimes, too!

Aww, thanks
Rogue-Scribe

Sometimes I just need to take a break from taking breaks.

It amazes me how fickle some people can be.

I wonder why I can't seem to wrie an RP response to a really good rp I'm in.

Being in a leadership role is like being a Jedi who is using the Force.

When being a teacher, I often underestimate the importance of Okayness. The person in charge in a room -- if they have a sense that everything is going to be okay, then everyone in the room will pick up on that vibe. But if the person in charge is freaking out, it has this cascading (sounded better than "trickle down") effect, and everyone feels stressed or freaked out. It doesn't matter as much what you do, so long as you transmit that sense of "Yeah, everything's going to be okay today." That's leadership. You've got to make quick decisions that people feel confident in so that everyone feels like someone's in charge and therefore everything's going to be okay. Okayness.

It's a funny thing about human beings. We don't like situations where no one is in charge. We feel uncomfortable in a group of people until a leader is established. If there is none, people will start subtlely or less subtlely vyying for dominance until someone wins the confidence of the people there and becomes the one with the most influence on what the group is going to do.

Feel free to disagree with me. There may be some cases in which this is not true. I'm trying to think of some examples. But I can't think of any.

It's interesting that people seem to need to know who in a group is in charge for them to feel calm. That's what I propose. It seems like calmness is associated with a feeling of a clear leader and the leader making decisions people have confidence in and transmitting a sense of Okayness to the crowd.

I think the concept of "Okayness" as a thing is rather poetic.
Rogue-Scribe

It was a different world when I last replied to this thread
So much has happened, so much dread
But I want my vaccination to help stop the spread
Of this pestilence; mask-up; wash up, or end up dead.

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Waxing Poetic

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus