Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Good movies that are out now?

Movie Title:
Recommend (Y/N)?:
How many stars out of 5 stars?
Commentary:

Have fun!

Movie Title: Christopher Ronin
Recommend (Y/N)?: Yep!
How many stars out of 5 stars? 4/5
Commentary:

I just saw the movie Christopher Robbin and it was very heartwarming. I love how tiger randonmy breaks into song in the middle of a drama. It's about remembering the lessons b childhood and applying them to your life adult.Lol.
Movie Title: Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Recommend (Y/N)?: YES
Commentary: I would recommend the latest M:I to anyone who loves action movies. I've never seen the previous films and it was still simple to follow and very entertaining. The action is awesome and shot well, no shaky-cam nonsense. And Tom Cruise is spectacular as always as a leading man and a stuntman. Henry Cavil also gives a great performance in his role, and Simon Pegg is always a treasure. We need more action movies like this, so go see it before it's out of theaters!
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

TalonHammer wrote:
Movie Title: Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Recommend (Y/N)?: YES
Commentary: I would recommend the latest M:I to anyone who loves action movies. I've never seen the previous films and it was still simple to follow and very entertaining. The action is awesome and shot well, no shaky-cam nonsense. And Tom Cruise is spectacular as always as a leading man and a stuntman. Henry Cavil also gives a great performance in his role, and Simon Pegg is always a treasure. We need more action movies like this, so go see it before it's out of theaters!

Yay! I'm adding this to my mental list now. Thanks!

Movie Title: Life of the Party
Recommend: YES
Commentary: This movie with Melissa McCarthy is a hilarious, feel-good movie. It's about a mom who goes to college with her kid after a divorce. There's this "emo kid" that the mom gets roommates with who weirdly never leaves the dorm room, and hides in the mom's closet. Her hilarious lines alone are worth seeing the movie for. Cracked. Me. Up. If you want to laugh, you can rely on this movie. It's not super raunchy, like so many comedies these days. Instead, it's actually funny and has a sweet mom/daughter dynamic and an encouraging message about starting over.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Yay! I'm adding this to my mental list now. Thanks!

I love movies so if this thread lives for a while I might be adding more~
Rogue-Scribe

Movie Title: Black Klansman
Recommend (Y/N)?: Yes
How many stars out of 5? 4.5
Commentary: Ethnicity aside, I normally can take or leave most of Spike Lee’s work as it is and it ranges to fairly good to somewhat not-so-good. But Black Klansman takes a really good dose of 1970’s history and sets some modern day issues into it. If you want pure entertainment and not racial/political intensity in your movie experience, you probably will not like this. But I found it quite well done and thought-provoking.

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Movie Title: Black Klansman
How many stars out of 5? 4.5
Commentary: Ethnicity aside, I normally can take or leave most of Spike Lee’s work as it is and it ranges to fairly good to somewhat not-so-good. But Black Klansman takes a really good dose of 1970’s history and sets some modern day issues into it. If you want pure entertainment and not racial/political intensity in your movie experience, you probably will not like this. But I found it quite well done and thought-provoking.

Cool. We like political and historical at our house so we might have to see this one.
Rogue-Scribe

Movie Title: Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan
How many stars out of 5 stars?: 4.5/5
Commentary: This is a war movie. It takes a microscopic view of one battle of countless battles of the Vietnam War. It is a movie that sees the 6th RAR (Royal Australian Rifles) go out on a sweep to clear what was reported as 'enemy activity' in a rubber plantation in the area of Hui Dut South Vietnam. Expecting to find a Viet Cong unit, they realize they had walked right into a regiment of NVA regulars with the Viet Cong unit. The movie focuses on the engagement that followed over a few days and how near the Australian D company was nearly overrun.

The scene was well re-produced in northern Queensland and the weather cooperated with heavy rains coming when they were shooting scenes to duplicate the monsoon rains that fell in the middle of the battle. The weaponry and equipment and uniforms were close to accurate and the overall feel was one that depicted the desperation and the shortfalls of leadership and the difference snap command decisions in the field made on the outcome of the battle. Unlike Platoon, this does not have any of the patriotic USA flag-waving. Like Platoon, it has a good insight into the internal struggles of the psyche of the soldiers who were a large part draftees.

The critic’s reviews for this were mixed.but usually they were either really good, or really bad depending on what was expected. It was a cinematic take of the biggest battle for the ANZAC's in Vietnam, so yes, there were the bits of drama that were added.

The good reviews tend to focus on the fact it is indeed a movie and some cinematic license is taken, which is pretty much required for any movie about a real incident like this, but the producers too the utmost care and took advice from Vietnam veterans including some who fought in the actual battle.

The bad reviewers tended to either wanted to see a documentary of the actual battle (there is a good doco on this battle) and hear word-for-word dialogue, and seemed to dwell on the actors not perfectly getting the look and demeanour of the people they are portraying "right".

Local reviews by actual veterans of the battle have been exceedingly positive, and they would be the people who best know.

I highly recommend seeing this if you are into high impact war movies of events in modern history. I think it is streaming in the USA and the DVD is available in most countries.

Movie Title: Fight Club
How many stars out of 5 stars? 4.9
Commentary:
Well, there is no way to properly define this movie. It's not possible. This movie messes with your mind so much that at one point you actually start questioning reality. Directed by David Fincher, Fight Club is a masterpiece of a movie with crazy characters, an urban yet a very bizarre world and an insane plot with so many intricate details that it is very hard to untangle. Without spoiling the movie much, this is how IMDB defines it: "A depressed man (Edward Norton) suffering from insomnia meets a strange soap salesman named Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) and soon finds himself living in his squalid house after his perfect apartment is destroyed. The two bored men form an underground club with strict rules and fight other men who are fed up with their mundane lives." And I guess that's a fair synopsis of the movie. By reading this, you might think that it's just a normal movie, but it's much more than that. It's symbolic. It's metaphorical, in its own way. Director David Fincher has done a remarkable job in visualizing the work of Chuck Palahniuk so brilliantly that even the author claimed that the movie captured a lot more than the book ever could. The direction of photography, the sound design, the props and costume choices, like how Edward Norton's character is always seen wearing greyish and lifeless colors, depicting his frustration and nullness towards life. And on the other hand, Brad Pitt's character, Tyler Durden, is often seen wearing red. Wearing that fight club brad pitt jacket, which in a way symbolizes anarchy and extremism. Fight Club is one of those movies that cannot be fully understood on the first watch. One has to run it back, over and over to actually grasp the details and subtle hidden metaphors that personify these characters and the world they live in. Would highly recommend this movie!
Movie Title: 1917
Recommend (Y/N)?: Y
How many stars out of 5 stars? 5
Commentary:
I have a soft spot for war movies and this has quickly become one of my favorites that I will watch again and again. I saw this movie at home before it was released in theaters (thanks to my job) and it was so amazingly well done. The cinematography is beautiful, the story and the script was fantastic. Everything was just really mindful and really well done. You could tell that everything was done with the thought to convey and tell the story of the main characters. And the way it was filmed, the shots that they chose, just really added it to. I really want to see it at the theater to see everything on big screen and take in the surround sound as I'm sure it'd only enhance everything.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Good movies that are out now?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus