Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » 300 Writing Prompts (dice roll writing activity)

MercyInReach Topic Starter

My 'family' who I don't really have much of honestly...because of how different I am and what I refuse to put up with... Tend to be very strict christian, and if any of them are LGBTQ they are either in the closet or left the area a very long time ago and speak to no one, including me too. Which I get.

I'm very different from my family in the way that I am...well, feminist, openly bisexual, a former-christian (which they hate that.), and very accepting and loving of people. Which they just aren't. They tend to be the shaming type, espeically with clothing and bodies; but I am body/fat positive and encourage people including myself to wear tight and short clothing if they want to regardless of body type.

My family is just to conservative, I don't really consider them my family. I love my dad, he's my only real family, but even he isn't as open as I wish he was.
damnationfromafar wrote:
Okie.

Edit:

'In what ways do you not fit in with the family you grew up with?'

I really like this idea! I'll respond with both my experience and that of my character, Nysphina.

ooc.
(slapped into a box below if you're not interested in that bit!)
See more
I was raised in a bilingual household... and I don't speak the language that the rest of my family does.

My mom immigrated to the United States in the 80s from the Philippines. English is considered one of their major languages and so it's not uncommon to meet other Filipinos who become fluent in it after living in America for only a few years. She met my dad, a member of the navy, and had me! My dad is a white American man and he speaks only English with a sprinkle of German. (I don't remember why he learned it but he doesn't remember most of it.) My mom and dad then work together to get my half-sisters (different dad than mine) from the Philippines over and they integrate themselves pretty well into the culture of the states. They pick up American English slang like it's nothing.

Besides a few pet names here and there, I'm raised speaking English and I recognize a few words to nod or shake my head in a conversation. Writing, reading, spelling and their subsequent "branches" are all my best subjects. My mom worked long hours as a nurse so I didn't want to bother her in learning Tagalog (the Filipino dialect of the region they came from) and my sisters had pretty bustling social lives when I was a kid so they didn't have the time. Eventually, I lost interest. I was interested in learning other languages like Italian, Spanish, and Japanese.

The language barrier became a point of contention sometimes because having older siblings, teasing comes with the territory. I think that also had something to do with it. Filipino culture is centered around family and social gatherings, so when we go to those and the people around me are speaking Tagalog, it's easy to feel isolated. I'm thinking of looking back into it when I have a chance.

Nysphina Petalgleam

The responsibilities of an esteemed fae matriarch are daunting, but what Nysphina dislikes most about her assumed role is the rigidity of it all. To her, nature is freedom. Nature is wild. It is her belief that the fae people should not partake in "courts" and politics. They should roam where they please without care of anything more than the animals and flora of their realm.

Her mother, present matriarch of the Petalgleam, feels it is a great honor bestowed upon them by the reigning fae queen. Nysphina's constant rejection of her title and its subsequent duties have created a reputation for her as a lazy and selfish heiress. For this, Nysphina makes it a point to avoid her mother, seldom talking to her despite the latter's efforts to keep a connection to her daughter. Their contrasting outlooks have strained their once adoring relationship.

Thanks everyone for your contributions! It's interesting learning about you and seeing stuff about characters.

New Prompt Roll...

Edit:

'Write about your first home; your childhood home, or your first home living on your own.'

I apologize that the last few have been pretty directed at specifically personal things only.

rolled 3d100 and got 135

New day new prompt...

Edit:

' "I would never" '

rolled 3d100 and got 176

Nysphina Petalgleam
"I would never betray my people. I would never forget my purpose! We are guardians of life and nature, but that means life and nature everywhere!"

Melantha Highmoon
"I would never sully the blessings of the Lady Moon with darker practices. As she watches over the night, so too shall we."

Dealing with some stuff right now but plan to be more involved with these this week.

New day, new prompt:

'Weirdest thing to be eaten?'

rolled 3d100 and got 172

-Might make some uncomfortable -

Mary stared at it for a long time. So long that the sun had moved significantly in the sky as she did so. It looked so...colorful, so tasty. The ridges on one side, the smooth soft interior on the other side. She flipped it over in her hand for a 20th time, before finally she lifted the sea-shell to her mouth and took a bite. It crunched loudly, her teeth grating against the fragments of shell, and pieces stuck her tongue like a pin-prick.

New day, new prompt per usual.

171;

'Sunrise or sunset?'

rolled 3d100 and got 171

Journal entry 473:

Day is closing. And what a gorgeous time of day it is! The sky glows in deep pinks and reds, while the sun shoots its final piercing rays across the landscape. Sure, there is a beauty to the first light of morning, but with it comes the silencing of the stars. Just now a few tiny lights twinkle in the upper parts of the heavens, and their music is just reaching my ears. Soon, the symphony of the stars will fill the night sky with its beauty and grace. Their song is my favorite lullaby.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » 300 Writing Prompts (dice roll writing activity)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus