Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Who also likes Gordon Lightfoot?

There's an old, 70s or 80s Canadian singer, named Gordon Lightfoot, that I like, and I was wondering how unusual that is? Lol

*sings*

"...in a castle dark, or a fortress strong, with chains upon my feet. You know that ghost is me..."
If you could read my mind guy. Also sundown and the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The bar I worked at had his songs on the jukebox
Love Gordon! Tells a beautiful story in song. Edmund Fitzgerald is a heavy one, but I always liked Sundown.....

"Sometimes I think it's a sin
when I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again..."


That song brings up memories of my 1st wife.

I do like some of his earlier stuff like Early Morning Rain.
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Love Gordon! Tells a beautiful story in song. Edmund Fitzgerald is a heavy one, but I always liked Sundown.....

"Sometimes I think it's a sin
when I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again..."


That song brings up memories of my 1st wife.

I do like some of his earlier stuff like Early Morning Rain.

Awwww

Yes he tells a story! Exactly!

And somehow I thought you might be one of the few people who might be able to know who in the world I'm talking about! I don't know why, I just thought you might. Maybe because you mentioned the Beatles in a post, and it's the same sort of era, and the Beatles can tell a good ballad type story too. Anyway...thank youuuu.

And awww you're first wife *hugs*

Yes songs and emotions, man. Songs are powerful memory-evokers for me as well.

Yep "sundown, you better take care..."

Anyway. Thank you! Someone knows who Gordon Lightfoot is! Yay.
SexySultryBabe wrote:
If you could read my mind guy. Also sundown and the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The bar I worked at had his songs on the jukebox

Ah ...i missed this! You beat Dunedain to it. Lol

Right on. You're the other person that I suspected might know who I was talking about. :)

Hey SSB, you ever heard of a song by a Canadian band called Tecumseh?

Tecumseh

Same Latitude as Rome, that's the name of the band. It's about a Native American warrior. It's a cool song, i love it.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Ah ...i missed this! You beat Dunedain to it. Lol
I just can't keep up with all you nocturnal North Americans!

Gordon is still touring at 78 year old!

I just finished my junior year in high school, I got tickets to Gordon Lightfoot at the Seattle Opera House. My rock-n-roll friends didn't want to go with me because it was 'too country' or 'too square'. A girl at a summer party was talking to her friend about Gordon Lightfoot when someone had the audacity to play the Sundown album. She ended up going with me. It was a great show! Mimi Farina opened and they played together for a couple songs before Gordon went on.
Love me some Gordon.
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Ah ...i missed this! You beat Dunedain to it. Lol
I just can't keep up with all you nocturnal North Americans!

Gordon is still touring at 78 year old!

I just finished my junior year in high school, I got tickets to Gordon Lightfoot at the Seattle Opera House. My rock-n-roll friends didn't want to go with me because it was 'too country' or 'too square'. A girl at a summer party was talking to her friend about Gordon Lightfoot when someone had the audacity to play the Sundown album. She ended up going with me. It was a great show! Mimi Farina Opened and they played together for a couple songs before Gordon went on.


Aww I like your stories, dude!

Man, so you've seen him, and you've seen Florence and the Machine, too? Man! You've got some concert cred going on there, don't you? Of course it makes sense since you lived in Seattle, because I've heard its a huge place for concerts. I'm a tiny bit jealous but also happy for ya and impressed....and glad other people love the music that I think is good.


And good for you not getting peer pressured out of liking something good. :)

Yeah my friends would not know who he is. I have musical taste unlike them. We grew up in the 90s with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, which is fine too and very nostalgic for me, but Gordon Lightfoot? Nah...they would be like, "who?"
DarkonDreams wrote:
Love me some Gordon.

Yay!
What brouhht this about was, I heard that "If you could read my mind..." song on the radio, and was jamming out to it...lol....singing all loud, and I just thought...this is a strange thing to be...like...JAMMING out to, so enthusiastically, I wonder if anyone else gets as happy about this song as I do. Hence, that's why I asked. And i thought it would be a funnily random name for a Smalltalk thread. :P


Even if no one had answered, I would have been like..."yeah, only me, that's what I thought. I'm still jamming out over here." And it would still be funny.
I had a very wide appreciation of music back in the day. Most of the crowd I ran with were hard rockers, but I listened to blues like Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, folk like Ry Cooder, Arlo Guthrie, and bluegrass like Doc and Merle Watson. In the other extreme I was into glam rock like Alice Cooper and Queen. I made a list of concerts I went to in the 70's and early 80's before ticket prices started to skyrocket. It was an impressive list, and a reason I lost the majority of my hearing in my right ear and suffer tinnitus.

Anyway, this is about Gordon.... "If you could read my mine love...
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
I had a very wide appreciation of music back in the day. Most of the crowd I ran with were hard rockers, but I listened to blues like Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, folk like Ry Cooder, Arlo Guthrie, and bluegrass like Doc and Merle Watson. In the other extreme I was into glam rock like Alice Cooper and Queen. I made a list of concerts I went to in the 70's and early 80's before ticket prices started to skyrocket. It was an impressive list, and a reason I losy the majority of my hearing in my right ear and suffer tinnitus.

Anyway, this is about Gordon.... "If you could read my mine love...

That's cool tho! Oof...sorry you suffer from those things, though.

I don't know any of those singers (but probably would like them all), except, of course, Queen and Alice Cooper. I like Queen a lot. You saw the movie? (It's small talk it can be off topic, no worries. Its related. But I should let ya write your RP posts too...don't let me hold you up!)
Lol. We did see the movie just today. It was quite excellent!
It's a work day tomorrow, so I'm off to sleep. Goodnight!
Hollyfrost

I know who you're talking about, though I've only heard a few of his songs. The main one I actually know is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Lol. We did see the movie just today. It was quite excellent!
It's a work day tomorrow, so I'm off to sleep. Goodnight!

Oh, ok D-Man. Oh yeah... it's already Sunday there. 'Nite!
Hollyfrost wrote:
I know who you're talking about, though I've only heard a few of his songs. The main one I actually know is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

I'm impressed!
Hollyfrost

Any of y'all also know about Harry Chapin, then?
Threads like this make me love this forum. I'm off to go listen to Don Quixote on repeat seventy six more times.
Hollyfrost wrote:
Any of y'all also know about Harry Chapin, then?

"Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when"
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then."


Yes. That's a perfect person to bring up. I love folk music. I sing along at the top of my lungs at that song too. I love the story. The twist at the end, the irony. The life lesson cooked in. So good.
zombie_shiva wrote:
Threads like this make me love this forum. I'm off to go listen to Don Quixote on repeat seventy six more times.

Lol. Yay.

You mean the audiobook of that novel or is that a song?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Who also likes Gordon Lightfoot?

Moderators: MadRatBird, Keke, Libertine, Cass, Copper_Dragon, Sanne, Dragonfire, Heimdall, Darth_Angelus