Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What are your most irrational fears you've had?

Rogue-Scribe

0V3RL0RD-P4RR0T wrote:
The Open Ocean: I think the technically term is Thalasaphobia, don't quote me on that though and my fear may not be to the extent of Thalasaphobia depending on its specific definition, but the thought of being out on the open ocean scares the piss out of me. As a general Animal and paleontology enthusiast, I know what does, and used to live in our oceans, and the thought of having hundred of thousands of feet of empty space below me with god knows what swimming around in it scares the piss out of me.

Yeah, I'll second this. I get it.
A year ago my dear wife booked us a swim with the wild dolphins in the Indian Ocean, and I went and really tried to enjoy this experience. But the snorkle and the developing rough seas really made me uncomfortabe to the point I was just hoping it would be over. I did manage to see a dolphin passing me by, and he was looking at me like 'what the fvck is your problem?' Yeah no, I gave it a red-hot go but when I was worried more about losing grip of the person in front of me and getting water in my snorkle, it was not an experience well remembered.

I don't do really well with water in general. If my feet isn't planted securely on the ground, I tend to freak out a little. Yes I can swim thanks to mom sending me to repeated swim schools as a kid, but I see it as a survival skill, not something I enjoy recreationally.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What are your most irrational fears you've had?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus