Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » RPing in video games?

I used to be part of a group that roleplayed in parties on Xbox. We would all meet up at a certain and jump on a certain game (Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, Halo, etc.) and act out as our character(s). However, they all disbanded and I wished I could do it again. :(

We also had a system with automatic dice rolls in Discord which if we are attacking another enemy player (not actual PvP, it was RP PvP) that a number lower than 5 is a fail and higher was a hit. We each had hit points depending on the durability and weaknesses of our characters and the number of people in a fireteam.

I wasn't sure if I was the only one who RPed in actual video games. Anyone else?
You're not the only one at all! I don't know about FO76 and Halo as I've never played either, but I know for a fact that ESO and a lot of other MMORPGs like SWTOR and even WoW are full of roleplaying guilds. I also tend to solo roleplay in single-player RPGs, but I don't know if that's as common or not.
Whilst I've had little dealings with RP through MMORPGs (Runescape and WoW specifically), I've found that my go-to is 100% Neverwinter Nights.

I'm fully talking about the first game in the series, not the sequel nor it's MMO version (simply titled Neverwinter). The original had hundreds of user run, online servers that were absolutely stunning for RPing and getting fully immersed in! It's what actually got me into RP in the first place. <3

The servers themselves were surprisingly still going strong a couple of years back (the last time I installed and played the game), and I believe they'll still be there yet, now that an enhanced edition of the game is available on Steam. I think once they release achievements for the game, I'll purchase and start playing it again! I have my fingers crossed that they'll do so at some point this year. :)
I used to RP a lot on MMOs, namely WoW, Tera, and GW2.
Malachite wrote:
You're not the only one at all! I don't know about FO76 and Halo as I've never played either, but I know for a fact that ESO and a lot of other MMORPGs like SWTOR and even WoW are full of roleplaying guilds.

They are! Especially WoW, but I've heard there is a surprising amount of activity on SWTOR even still.

I've been in several types of role-play guilds on WoW, from "nobility" guilds to "military" guilds. Let me tell you, the work people put into these groups is laudable. I've seen GMs (guildmasters) craft maps for encounters based in WoW, write their own dice systems, entire paragraphs of lore for these guilds still respective to the setting, and knowing it usually all came from one person was astounding. It's no different than how some of the most successful groups on RPR are run. It was easily some of the most fun I've had role-playing. I've played a conniving aristocrat, a kindly healer, and even a cultist who would sell you to the Void for one corn chip. (And unlimited power but that was beside the point)

But along with RP, we had movie nights and "other" game nights where we played other games together and I think it brought a lot of us closer as role-play partners.

Sadly, role-playing became the only aspect I enjoyed come "Warlords of Draenor" and I didn't even last a month into that expansion. I couldn't justify spending $15 to RP on a game when I could just do it for free somewhere else. Eventually, I just got so immersed in other places I didn't even want to go back.

Especially because the lore (while fun to write with) can also get super constricting. I always did my best to follow it, but dang if it wasn't boring at times. On places like RPR, I can do whatever I want and no one is forced to acknowledge it. Better yet, they enjoy my concepts. ♥
EarlyGrey wrote:
Whilst I've had little dealings with RP through MMORPGs (Runescape and WoW specifically), I've found that my go-to is 100% Neverwinter Nights.

I'm fully talking about the first game in the series, not the sequel nor it's MMO version (simply titled Neverwinter). The original had hundreds of user run, online servers that were absolutely stunning for RPing and getting fully immersed in! It's what actually got me into RP in the first place. <3

The servers themselves were surprisingly still going strong a couple of years back (the last time I installed and played the game), and I believe they'll still be there yet, now that an enhanced edition of the game is available on Steam. I think once they release achievements for the game, I'll purchase and start playing it again! I have my fingers crossed that they'll do so at some point this year. :)

A fellow nwn player! I picked up the Enhanced Edition on sale a few weeks back so I could go back to the multiplayer servers and I definitely recommend it...once achievements are live, because I'm waiting to restart my single player saves till then.

But back to the point at hand, it's a game I'd recommend pretty highly. It looks like the Enhanced Edition was the shot in the arm the community needed to flourish. I just wish the hak packs one needed to join some servers weren't set up so I could only have one at a time.
Your not alone! I used to RP in a game that im pretty sure barely anyone knows now a day called Spiral Knights, and i usually just like rped with my small group of ragtag friends and thankfully we were able to figure out a dice system using a small group program that i don't think is on anymore. Now i usually do it on games like MHG or MHW

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » RPing in video games?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus