Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Needing Strange Superpowers

psionicburst

I've made a ton of OCs yesterday while in my tired-overclock-after-work mode, but...here's the issue. They need abilities, and not just your ordinary fire/ice/earth/wind mancer people, but strange, off the wall abilities, and nothing ultra specific like "can create spaghetti from his fingers at 3:00 am in the morning during winter" because that doesn't make any sense and would provide a hard limiter as to how I would use the OC during a campaign, so I implore you internet citizens, to please help a brother out.
RimCaster

Well then I think reading hunter x hunter nen and how it works would help you.
Well, there's the spaghetti fingers without those extra details. XD

Hm...

Ability to communicate with a specific animal that might be common, but isn't individually seen as a big threat. Or heck, ability to talk to, but not manipulate, plants.

I've done self-duplication and microwave production before. And high-detail bio-camoflage.

Production of moss specifically?

Fart bubbles that can be blown somewhere before they pop and release the stench?

Sticky gecko hands?

Toxic (but not necessarily highly corrosive) blood/saliva, kinda like a komodo dragon?

Can see the molecular level?
Oooooh I have some good ones.

-Can bend reality and time

-Can turn into an animal-human hybrid at will

-Can possess any toy and modify them ((making them alive, knifes for hands, laser eyes?)) to make them highly dangerous
I remember watching an anime called Read or Die, where the main character's ability was her power to manipulate paper. She could form it into anything and even make weapons from it that could actually cut and do some real damage, so maybe you could use that?

You could also take that partucular skill and apply it to other inorganics like fabric/thread manipulation, etc. But if you need to go more natural, having the ability to make leaves, grass, plant stems, or other flimsy organic material sharp as blades. On par with regular nature magic, but not too general, I think.

Or to combine Nova's ideas of toxic blood/saliva and sticky gecko hands, you couls try toxic hands that poison or corrode everything they touch, so the person has to always wear gloves. A difficult enough challange that's also a useful power to kill off enemies.

Those come straight off the top of my head of course.
A power directly related to the rotation of the planet. Someone has fire powers during the day, and ice powers during the night, but the powers fluctuate for the seasons (ice gets more powerful over winter, while fire gets weaker, and vice versa for summer.)

Spacial hopping's fun as well. Teleport somewhere and restore the body to peak conditoon and get rid of negative effects of mental or even magical effects, but lose recent memories as well.

An animal shifter who can transform into any animal, but doesn't have control when. Usually transforms into the animal they need when they need it, but may just randomly transform due to stress or situations (transforming into a bat while stressed, or becoming a dog when seeing a squirrel.)

Invisibility and phasing combined. It's better if after the effect wears off, their path suddenly comes back into play, breaking walls wake thru and making footprints and causing a KILLER headache. Good for team efforts of thieves breaking into secure complexes!

Stopping, rewinding, and speeding up time. This might not seem as interesting or bizzare, but give it to a madman or a sadist. The possibilities are quite literally endless. Effects on the heart are optional.

Mysterious. If you're feeling lazy, throw together some electrical meddling, teleportation, and dark flames. That's always a good combo for an admittedly overused and edgy cliche but still fun!

And I always have fun with pure luck. Just have good stuff happen. Deus ex machina them. Get out your godmode urges that we all have.

Hope this helps!
Might I recommend visiting the https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

SUPER POWER WIKI
8_Stars_8 wrote:
Might I recommend visiting the https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

SUPER POWER WIKI
I was going to suggest the same. Click here for a random super power, too
Abilities targeting the mind are fairly uncommon and with the appropriate limits very fun to play with. First, you have to ask what magic system you want to play with.

Hard magic system: Strict rules regarding the use and limits of say magic. You can improve and play with three different ways to use your creativity.

First, you can make a set of limits or conditions for the use of say powers, for example, The power to give orders to another person, but the need of eye to eye contact and only one order for person.

Second, you can make a punishment for the use of said magic system, the greater the punishment the harder will be to use it without dangers for the caster. For example, the prolonged use of magic will drain the life essence of the caster, resulting in physical illness, the danger of disease and eventual death for over use.

third, you can make use of both, adding rules and punishment for not following them. This i found the better of the three, since it allows the writer to occasionally break his own rules in exchange of some punishment in some kind of trade, enhancing the possibilities of what you can possibly do during battles.

Soft magic system: No set of rules and focusing in the mystery and wonder of the world of magic. Examples of soft magic system can be found in the lord of the rings and game of thrones.

Now, if you want original powers, I recommend a hard magic system, since it not only allows a variety of play, but also the game of limitations can improve the storytelling by forcing the character to overcome said limitations.

An example I like to use is an oc I made long ago.

His power was the manipulation of memories. He could absorb, read, alter and edit the memories of others and his own, but to cast that power in another person he needed to have at least two seconds of physical contact and the target neede to be unaware of the character power, since the knowledge of the power allowed them to naturally recist it. That serves me for a lot of fun since the game of building trust, eventual treasons and the sort made the story flow with lots of turn thanks to the limitations of the skill, but also give a lot of tools for the character by using the power in creative ways.
psionicburst Topic Starter

Drink's quote
Drink wrote:
Abilities targeting the mind are fairly uncommon and with the appropriate limits very fun to play with. First, you have to ask what magic system you want to play with.

Hard magic system: Strict rules regarding the use and limits of say magic. You can improve and play with three different ways to use your creativity.

First, you can make a set of limits or conditions for the use of say powers, for example, The power to give orders to another person, but the need of eye to eye contact and only one order for person.

Second, you can make a punishment for the use of said magic system, the greater the punishment the harder will be to use it without dangers for the caster. For example, the prolonged use of magic will drain the life essence of the caster, resulting in physical illness, the danger of disease and eventual death for over use.

third, you can make use of both, adding rules and punishment for not following them. This i found the better of the three, since it allows the writer to occasionally break his own rules in exchange of some punishment in some kind of trade, enhancing the possibilities of what you can possibly do during battles.

Soft magic system: No set of rules and focusing in the mystery and wonder of the world of magic. Examples of soft magic system can be found in the lord of the rings and game of thrones.

Now, if you want original powers, I recommend a hard magic system, since it not only allows a variety of play, but also the game of limitations can improve the storytelling by forcing the character to overcome said limitations.

His power was the manipulation of memories. He could absorb, read, alter and edit the memories of others and his own, but to cast that power in another person he needed to have at least two seconds of physical contact and the target neede to be unaware of the character power, since the knowledge of the power allowed them to naturally recist it. That serves me for a lot of fun, cince the game of building trust, eventual treasons and the sort made the story flow with lots of turn thanks to the limitations of the skill, but also give a lot of tools for the character by using the power in creative ways.

Solid advice, but I already have a magic system set in place named...I actually don't have a good name for it, but the simplified version would be this:

All supernatural ability stems from the essence of the Universal Champion, Xetheres. The "Polarity" abilities are hereditary, granted by Xetheres's Guardians to worthy mortals long ago. Once granted this power, it cannot be removed. This ability has four flavors; Lumen (Light) and Malus (Evil), and two subtypes for each; Anima (Soul) and Orbis (World). Some blessed mortals do change their moralities to evil later on, and in turn, change their polarity. Later on, certain individuals have more affinity, and are more in tune to their polarity, refining it to channel the essence of the deep energy that dwells in the cosmos, attaining a form named "GX", or "Godmight Xetheres". With this refined form, it loses its heredity mark. Polarity can also be refined into something I call an "aion summon" in certain individuals with a strong will or passion, however, they can only do this if their polarity has not been activated, either on purpose or accident. There is also something called a "vectorial" ability, that also stems from polarity, but with a twist. The initial polarity manifestation is channeled by outside forces into a target, and as such, is regarded as a curse, due to the sheer immense power it gives.

This would be all fine and good, but here's the catch:

The irl definition of polarity, from Webster definition 2 is: attraction toward a particular object or in a specific direction. The more one uses their abilities, the more they eventually attract the opposite of their polarity. This also happens in its intensity. You've got evil god-like energies? Eventually, someone of equal power with good god-like energies will arrive at your doorstep.

My real question would be...would my example be considered a soft or hard magic system?
RimCaster

psionicburst wrote:
Drink's quote
Drink wrote:

His power was the manipulation of memories. He could absorb, read, alter and edit the memories of others and his own, but to cast that power in another person he needed to have at least two seconds of physical contact and the target neede to be unaware of the character power, since the knowledge of the power allowed them to naturally recist it. That serves me for a lot of fun, cince the game of building trust, eventual treasons and the sort made the story flow with lots of turn thanks to the limitations of the skill, but also give a lot of tools for the character by using the power in creative ways.

Solid advice, but I already have a magic system set in place named...I actually don't have a good name for it, but the simplified version would be this:

All supernatural ability stems from the essence of the Universal Champion, Xetheres. The "Polarity" abilities are hereditary, granted by Xetheres's Guardians to worthy mortals long ago. Once granted this power, it cannot be removed. This ability has four flavors; Lumen (Light) and Malus (Evil), and two subtypes for each; Anima (Soul) and Orbis (World). Some blessed mortals do change their moralities to evil later on, and in turn, change their polarity. Later on, certain individuals have more affinity, and are more in tune to their polarity, refining it to channel the essence of the deep energy that dwells in the cosmos, attaining a form named "GX", or "Godmight Xetheres". With this refined form, it loses its heredity mark. Polarity can also be refined into something I call an "aion summon" in certain individuals with a strong will or passion, however, they can only do this if their polarity has not been activated, either on purpose or accident. There is also something called a "vectorial" ability, that also stems from polarity, but with a twist. The initial polarity manifestation is channeled by outside forces into a target, and as such, is regarded as a curse, due to the sheer immense power it gives.

The irl definition of polarity, from Webster definition 2 is: attraction toward a particular object or in a specific direction. The more one uses their abilities, the more they eventually attract the opposite of their polarity. This also happens in its intensity. You've got evil god-like energies? Eventually, someone of equal power with good god-like energies will arrive at your doorstep.

My real question would be...would my example be considered a soft or hard magic system?

That's why you've mixed magic systems, It can have freedom of soft magic while having some rules imposed on that magic. obviously you can experiment with it however you wish. It can be used for restricting access to op magic or making it have rules so you couldn't use it for everything. Isn't that wonderful?
psionicburst wrote:
Drink's quote
Drink wrote:

It's considered a hard magic system. It has an origin and a set of consistent and predefined rules. The thing is that is an incomplete one, but that is for the sake of allowing creativity, so I said is a pretty solid system for a role-playing game. Add a dice system, a couple of meta-rules, check for balance and you could pretty much sell this stuff for us rp geeks to enjoy XD

Now the things to add or subtract depends on what you want to accomplish with this setting, if you want a light-hearted rp for a couple of people and have a good time, is good as is. Now if you want a more solid experience with a need of cooperation and planning ahead for the more hardcore fans of the genre. I suggest to add a class system using the affinities as a basis to force the need of a balanced party.
About a year ago, I had some great fun playing around with this ability and all sorts of abilities relating to it! They're not that typical or overused as others that come to mind and you have a wide range of possibility with them. Might be worth looking into! I do hope you'll find what you're looking for! <3 https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/Fear_Embodiment
33020150956198.jpg
Mariette wrote:
33020150956198.jpg
Funny thing is... some of those are useful in select situations.
Lazari-Not_IEPFB- wrote:
Mariette wrote:
33020150956198.jpg

Very specific situations that might happen maybe once in a lifetime, which makes them useless superpowers compared to other. But i would like to summon a lamp.
Mariette wrote:
Lazari-Not_IEPFB- wrote:
Mariette wrote:
33020150956198.jpg

Very specific situations that might happen maybe once in a lifetime, which makes them useless superpowers compared to other. But i would like to summon a lamp.
Yeah. Still, it's a very good source of ideas. Might have to create a few characters.
Mariette wrote:
Lazari-Not_IEPFB- wrote:
Mariette wrote:
33020150956198.jpg

The comunication with fruit sounds like a solid way to gather intel and win arguments with vegans.
psionicburst Topic Starter

"Useless" superpowers? All of these do have some merit to create the most OP hero/villain/support out there.

Give me a minute. I think I've got an idea...

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Needing Strange Superpowers

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus