Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Awkwardly hypothetical question.

I just finished watching Stranger than Fiction and it gave me the worst idea EVAR.
What if all our characters are real, in some odd universe, and whenever we kill them they die in real life? What if we're killing people every time we write a death scene?
Considering I've killed more characters than I have fingers, this is a particularly disheartening thought.
But, what if we kill them on rpr? Would they still be alive and therefore immortal, since we kill them and then use them again in another rp?

Idk if I can kill another character of mine.

... Actually, I probably can, considering I'm just cold and heartless like that, BUT STILL.
If these characters live in another universe, each RP we do is an experience in their life. And considering how colorful RPs are and how dramatic the deaths are, this is justified. They had rich and colorful lives and when they are "killed" then it simply means they lived their life and even in that universe death is still inevitable. Therefor we are not truly killing them but only fulfilling the thread of fate that is tied to that character.
LuciferBrimstone Topic Starter

... But we're still killing them.

Unless they respawn later in another story xD
Nonsense, in a sense we are their gods/goddesses so we are only having them fulfill their destiny. :)
I've always rather thought that not we control the potential life our characters are having in some alternate reality, but we rather receive a sort of knowledge of them, their lives, and that's how story ideas, character ideas are born and then we often just dull it down and adjust it to our mindsets and experiences.
Sanne Moderator

I just want to say I love this type of conversation and thinking of these ideas. I have a billion thoughts on this, but my main idea is that if every possibility of a world or idea we have is crafted in an infinite number of parallel/other dimensions, then the possibility of this being real exists.

However, this means that even we could be the figment of someone's imagination, that either a brilliant human mind guides us through our lives or maybe we are the product of alien intelligence. Perhaps we live in a Matrix-like world or we are imagining each other and are actually alone in the world.

There is literally no limit on the possibilities here. And I love that!

@kurt: hmm...
@sandrain: so wait- we're writing stories about these people even as it's happening or already happened? Like, our characters aren't our own, they're people and we just so happen to be writing about them and their life? WEIRD
@sanne: lol thanks sanne. And that's food for thought there O.o' I'm forever going to doubt the meaning of my existence now, or the "superiority" of humans or other people and IDK ANYMORE
I need to poke oaky next time I see him to see if he's real, although if I'm imagining him, then I could simply imagine that he is real and is therefore pokable.
GAH.
Sanne Moderator

Isn't this fun? ;)

It IS fun xD
Sanne Moderator

The concept might make for a super interesting RP plot too! Planeswalkers and the like may get caught up in all sorts of strange alternate dimensions. x)

83 ERMEGERD YOU'RE RIGHT!
You wanna start a group or something and we can do this?! IT'S FASCINATING!
Sanne Moderator

I don't have a lot of time to setup a group and recruit members myself, but you're welcome to do it! I'll most likely join too :3

Ok!
OFF TO PLOT *evilly tiptoes away* HEHEHEHEHEEHEHEEHE
Not more weird than imagining you can so strongly influence someone's life you can kill 'them, like write to the point "lightening struck dawn mah char from clar sky, trololol". Bad grammar used for purpose to remind that it would mean ALL writers, role players, anyone with imagination of all levels of seriousness and intelligence would be given such power... And that somehow does not seem so possible.
But that some people can somehow be touched by reflections of lives somewhere in relative world... Because not all character and story ideas are original, some are copied from already existing things, some influenced by pictures and so on, so it's connecting to one certain 'reflection', just interpreting it differently.
Also, sadrain, not sandrain. ;)
Oh.... my... god...

Nate is so going to kill me... I've put the poor guy through hell in several RPs, and his backstory...

I mean, let's count it down; death of his mother and father, conquest of his homeland, slowly watching his people suffer and die and their culture destroyed, separated from his childhood best friend and lover for over three centuries, and then finding out he had kids by her, not to mention all of the injuries and trauma he's suffered, the scars mental and physical, the bouts of depression and his hydrophobia...

Oh, and including my RPs not only with inidividual characters but with nations, that technically means I'm also responsible for at least two or three genocides, the utter destruction of dozens of planets, large scale damage/destruction of several more, the collapse of three civilisations and over twenty wars on both a continental, planetary, system-wide and galactic level...

They didn't used to call me the Genocidal Maniac with the planet-busting dreadnoughts for nothing you know...

I have some 'Oops, sorry guys' explanations coming up ...

Lol terel.
I can say I ended roughly a couple hundred million human and dragon lives in the firestorm. Plus I destroyed a good number of cities in the true Armageddon xD that darkwing.
And then, in my zombie story, I would say I killed everyone in the world until there's only about 100,000 remaining survivors, if that much. They also died in horrible gruesome ways xD poor Roy.
And nick? Lolno.
Oh dear... and I just remembered the RP plotline in which a misfiring 'gravity gun' built by the insular, xenophobic remnants of an empire that ruled a third of the entire universe after a failed invasion of the Milky Way misfired and took out half the stellar mass of the galaxy, causing spontaneous supernovae all across the galaxy.

The galaxy shook itself apart, spitting stars out into the void and forcing the surviving species to run away to a different galaxy.

The death toll was catastrophic. One of he starsystems that blew up was Xia'Vex - the home system of the Xin'Ta'Faxi Imperium, one of the largest and most powerful nations in the galaxy - my guys. The blast not only killed the Empress of Xin'Ta'Fax, the Archniath of The Church of The Guardian and the vast majority of the leaders of both the State and Church, it also took out the Xin'Ta'Faxi homeworlds - Xi'Teleath and Talath, resulting in the deaths of over a trillion Xin'Ta'Faxi alone.

In a different RP, my Xin'Ta'Faxi decided it would be a good idea to pre-emptively assault the homeworld of their long-time enemies, this after sixteen other wars. They jumped their whole Imperial Fleet in-system, including their three Purgatio Luminarium class Dreadnought Titans - planet-busters.

They incurred severe damage on the planet, but their enemies routed the fleet and destroyed or captured their titans, and the proceeded to invade the Imperium, recruiting a second powerful interstellar empire to their side as well. That left three of the four most powerful civilisations in the galaxy at war, and despite fierce resistance the Imperium was defeated and in retaliation for the attack on their homeworld, their enemies bombed Xi'Teleath to oblivion, again claiming over a trillion lives...

Ironically, the enemy homeworld was more of a symbolic capital, and most of the militaristic and political headquarters were located lightyears away on a fortress-planet, so the entire exercise was ultimately pointless.

LOLZ that's awesome.
Ah yes, those were the days... I love the smell of planetary bombardment in the morning... the other RPers should never have allowed the 'Genocidal Maniac' to build planet-busting dreadnoughts... it made blowing them up oh so satisfying... well, when we weren't blowing up the galaxy in a needless display of awesome.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Awkwardly hypothetical question.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus