Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Need y'all advise~

Eyo folks from all over!

It's-a me, the local procrastinating prawn who was hoping to shower all her partners in replies galore but.. well, hasn't been very successful doing that so far. What's up, you might think? I'm finally free for the summer, have little to nothing stressy to worry about and yet..

..my imagination field or whatever is as dry as the bloody Atacama Desert.

Honestly, I don't know whether this is because I just lost my muse - like, for all RPs at once, whereas I loved them before I decided to put them on pause because of school reasons?! -, had my brain sucked out by one test too many or both, but what I do know is that there's gotta be a nice cure for this type of writer's block.

And that's where you awesome people come in! Please, tell me about your best tricks to get rid of the 'Oh god I feel so obliged to tell my partners again and again that I will try to post on Day X and so on'-attitude and let me become the rapid post-shooting sea-roach again I probably used to be!
GarnaalProductions Topic Starter

WHOOPS DOUBLE POST PLEASE IGNORE
I have/had a partner that was very blunt when it came to writers block and "lack of imagination". They said, that if you really wanted to write, you would do it, pronto. No ifs, no buts. If someone feels that a certain activity, that is supposed to be a hobby, feels forced, it isn't fun anymore but it have become downright a hassle. I liked their bluntness, because you wouldn't see this kind of "advice" anywhere around and it helped me find and identify my own flawns when it came to my limitations regarding to writing/roleplaying.

The best you can do, frankly, if you're going through a writer's block, or disinterest at all, is being honest with them. Other than that, it's just the usual "go read some books, of varying subjects, of varying lengths". Moreover, trying to expand your horizons when it comes to roleplaying is also a good one. If you're not satisfied with the Repository, try something else. It worked with - at least, it sparked something in me that I didn't thought possible before.

Well, blunt or not, they do make a good point there. At least, I totally agree on the quitting whenever replying becomes a hassle-thingy, because forcing a half-baked reply isn't much fun for both parties- so I guess their take on the issue is as straight-forward yet useful as it gets.

And oh boy, trying new stuff out until getting back to the daily grind sounds appealing again sounds just perfect as for now, it shouldn't be too difficult to get back into the bizz after some nice distraction.

Thanks a lot for yo advice, dude! c:
i think the best you can do (from my experience) to say ‘i haven’t lost interested, i’m going through a writers block but i’ll try my best to reply in x amount of time”. it rarely helps to force yourself to do an activity you otherwise enjoy so i would try to write something where you don’t feel pressured; go to sites like tumblr or pinterest and find some writing prompts. maybe that can help you get started and get you through your block - perhaps you could try writing your reply to your partner in smaller bits, instead of saying you’ll write all of it in one sitting, come back to it later c:

Hey, thanks for the advise, I appreciate it! c:

And the 'breaking up' of posts sounds like a real clever trick too, makes it seem like less of big project and more of a collage of efforts that you can finish whenever you feel like it. Thanks m'dudess for the wisdom~
Hm. Well, one time I got burnt out by having too many, and had to take a break. BUT, there were a handful of RPs that I couldn't let go of, even though a needed a break, because I really want the stories to go all the way through. With those, I kept writing, like once a week or once every two weeks. At times, I had to force myself kind of. Just tell myself "just write a short reply, any reply." But then once I got into writing the reply it became interesting and...it's funny but sometimes RPs get heated up and sometimes they cool down, and sometimes you get through that cool down period and are pleasantly surprised when they heat up again. By heat up, I mean get really intense, whether with emotion or fighting or romance or drama or whatever your RP has that makes it...spicy. (I'm using a lot of cooking metaphors here for some reason. Lol)

boy you’ve got no idea how inspiring those cooking metaphors were

I think that a bit of toughening up and getting your lazy ass to write is one of the best methods yet, along with experimenting- that, aaaaaaand a bit of reading. I think that forgetting what the RP was about to begin with or just losing the vibe thanks to weeks of having to tend to boring stuff will indeed make it easier for people to fall into a 'blocked' state.

Once again, thanks for the adivse, m'friend! Just the lil' chunk'o smartness I needed to read today~

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Need y'all advise~

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus