Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Highway 99 Blues Club (Closed Permanently)

Nathan Collier (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

What's this? Bluegrass night at the Blues Club??? Well.... yeah. When I was in High School, I got the Memories album by Doc & Merle Watson. My rock-n-roll friends were horrified! I do like me some Bluegrass, and there are none better than Doc & Merle... The lyrics qualify as blues for sure...

Darrell Sanders (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

Getting back to some blues...

Dazed and Confused

I'm talking the song made popular by Led Zeppelin...

When the Yardbirds first started playing this song live, they called it 'I'm Confused' which can be heard on some concert bootleg recordings. Keith Relf of the Yardbirds called it 'Dazed & Confused’ later in a live recording that was recently released on the album Cumular Limit. This recording was made weeks before they called it quits and Led Zeppelin emerged from the ashes on the shoulders of the Yardbirds last manager Peter Grant and last guitarist Jimmy Page. They finished the Yardbirds remaining booked show dates billed as 'The New Yardbirds' before changing their name to 'Led Zeppelin' (a name supposedly based on a comment by The Who drummer Keith Moon who said they would go over like a lead ballon).

Led Zeppelin tweaked the lyrics and called the song their own on their 1st album, however, Jake Holmes had named the song he wrote 'Dazed & Confused' and released it on his album , which didn't do much on the charts mainly because except for this one song, it was all pretty much easy listening, and this one song really didn't fit with the rest.

We have an old favourite back tonight at The Blues Club!

Getting a spoonful of Electric Blues.....

Can’t seem to get enough of this Otis Taylor version of Hey Joe.
Love the vintage photo slideshow as well...

Now for some Spooky Tooth...

An interlude with some Green Onion..

Tonight at the Blues Club we have a jazzy ensemble backing Katie Melua...

Have a couple gems playing at the Blues Club tonight..... one is an 8 mile high jam by The Byrds...

And another is an interesting mix/cover of Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones...

Where the blues began.....

Now at the Blues Club is a retro time travel back to Canned Heat playing at Woodstock. I just love the 2 minute slide at the beginning of 'Boogie' ...

Bob "The Bear" Hite - Lead Vocals (R.I.P.)
Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson - Guitar, Vocals, & Harmonica (R.I.P.)
Henry "Sunflower" Vestine - Guitar (R.I.P.)
Harvey "The Snake" Mandel - Guitar
Larry "The Mole" Taylor - Bass (R.I.P.)
Adolfo "Fito" de la Parra - Drums
I had never understood the appeal of live music at a club until I had the chance to go to a blues club in Kansas City with a friend. I heard Over the Rainbow done that it tore my heart out.

Here is Eva Cassidy. She isn't the one I heard, but it calls that memory back for sure.

InkWren’’s Post
InkWren wrote:
I had never understood the appeal of live music at a club until I had the chance to go to a blues club in Kansas City with a friend. I heard Over the Rainbow done that it tore my heart out.

Here is Eva Cassidy. She isn't the one I heard, but it calls that memory back for sure.

Wow! Thank you Ink Wren for booking Eva Cassidy in here at the Blues Club! Never heard her before, but I have now! I subscribed and am listening through her YouTube vids!
I like your coding tricks for displaying video links! I will have to figure out how. I already snagged your collapsing quote code!

Shadow-Ranger"s Post
Shadow-Ranger wrote:
InkWren’’s Post
InkWren wrote:

Wow! Thank you Ink Wren for booking Eva Cassidy in here at the Blues Club! Never heard her before, but I have now! I subscribed and am listening through her YouTube vids!
Testing.... Woot. Yay me!

Go Inkwren! Been enjoying Eva Cassidy vids!

I came across a live recording of Fleetwood Mac's 'Hypnotised' from December 15, 1974 at the Record Plant. This is the last live performance with Bob Welch as a band member. He quit the next week, and the 1st meeting of Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, and Lindsey Buckingham took place. A 2nd meeting the next day with Stevie Nicks joining them cemented the famous lineup of the band. For now, enjoy the jazzy-bluesy vibe of the end of the Bob Welch era.

The contrast can be heard with the new line-up. This was recorded nine months after the last video. Credit to Lindsey Buckingham giving it a red-hot go, but the song belongs with Bob Welch's voice.

And now for an encore...

Celebrating the music of Peter Green. I understand Peter was in the audience.
Mick was hoping he would feel like playing but he didn't.
Jeremy Spencer still playing and singing as if he never left Fleetwood Mac!

Note: Peter Green would pass away on July 25th 2020 due to Covid-related illnesses.

The Blues Club has reopened with proper social distancing in place. Opening is a couple outtakes. First, the classic lineup of Canned Heat playing the long boogie jam of On The Road Again...

And the first take of Bob Dylan's song Hurricane which had to be re-recorded after the record label Columbia worried about legal issues with some of the lyrics.

Tonight at the Blues Club we have Imelda May and her band....

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Highway 99 Blues Club (Closed Permanently)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus