Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Undefined Chat Error

Kim Site Admin

I've gotten a number of reports lately from various people receiving an "Error: Undefined" message while using the forum chat feature.

As yet, I've been unable to determine a cause, or even to reproduce it. I need more data!

Can everyone who has experienced this issue please post with the browser and browser version that they have seen the error occur in? And does it seem related to anything, or is it completely random? For example, does it only turn up when you are pressing the "post" button? Or only when someone says something? Only when someone doesn't say something? None of the above?

It would also be nice to know if you are using a non-standard device at the time of the error, like an iPad or smartphone.
The error occurs randomly to me, I use Internet Explorer (though don't know what version), I do not use a non-standard device.

I think the error pops up a lot more often when I actually close the topic from which I launched a chat.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

You should be able to find the version number by going to the toolbar, help > about.
Okay, seems I have IE version 8
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I'm using Firefox 3.6.17.
It seems to occur more on my IE web browser, but I've had it happen on Mozilla too. Just the other day in fact, it was coming up so much that I had to close the chat because it wouldn't let me post anything.

It seems to appear randomly. I usually open the chat window in a new tab, because it keeps windows down for me. But I've noticed it seems to happen when I don't have that tab open at the moment. Like it will be there, but I'm on a different tab.

I also have IE version 8
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I'm going to (gasp!) switch to IE 8 as my main browser until I see this error in action. Thank you so much to everyone who has responded so far, I think you've given me some valuable clues.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

You have my sympathies Kim.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Undefined Chat Error

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus