Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Using columns in profile pages

Hello, wonderful and helpful people.

So just to show you what I'm having trouble with right now. I'm going to try and replicate what was bothering me.

As I've just come back from hiatus and reconnecting with people again, I've decided to update my profile. But try as I might, I can't make the columns of text in my profile to have the same width! It's driving me crazy as each time I edit it, the columns keep on changing widths. As of now, I realized that the more one column has more text, the wider it get resized. I tried inserting a blank PNG image to forcefully adjust it, but the site just automatically resizes it to fit the column.

As you can see, the left is smaller and gets wider as it goes to the right hand column. I do not understand the algorithm for it to calculate it like that.

Does anyone know how to control the columns?
Hades_

Hi bud!

So, generally the columns cannot be controlled unless you do so through epic accounts with CSS control. This is still something really tricky, and columns are probably the bane of a lot of people's existence. xD

The best thing I've noticed that can be done is that the information in each column has to be equal to one another in amount of text or image sizes.
If, however, you're talking about character profile pages (or an LFRP), because so many templates vary, (though some seem to actually control centering them for you), a great trick is to take your smallest one (though if you want you can do it in all of them) and go
______ to make them all even. Just, y'know, use American spelling for colour (color). Some people like to use //// as well. :)
Kim Site Admin

Psst -- in a few months the RPR will have native support for columns of whatever size you want on character profiles, and you shouldn't have to futz around with this sort of thing anymore... plus in official templates it will be properly mobile responsive! ;)

Edit: on reflection you probably already knew that.

I'm just deeply biased against the columns bbcode and want to kill it, or at least endanger it >.>
Vanderhuge Topic Starter

Thank you, thank you, and thank you. I knew I could count on you guys. While the problem might not be solved exactly as I wanted it, I think I can manage the column thing with the advice you guys gave me. I haven’t tried the transparent bbcode yet, I’ll have a got with it and see.

Plus, as our ever-amazing Kim mentioned, major changes to RPR is coming and I might not have to worry about that again. Are we talking about tables? Is that the “columns-killer” that might be on its way? I actually thought of using that instead, but alas it’s not supported here... or is it and I just don’t know how?
She talks about and shows off the coming columns thing in the 2.0 group. It's not tables, as tables are pretty terrible. It's an easier, more built-in way of doing columns in character profiles.
Vanderhuge Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
She talks about and shows off the coming columns thing in the 2.0 group. It's not tables, as tables are pretty table. It's an easier, more built-in way of doing columns in character profiles.
Woah... now I'm excited.

You are on: Forums » Help » Using columns in profile pages

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus