Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Follow Nano Progress [Plotting + Drafting Thread]

I have almost finished the current draft of my novel Ignited and just in time for plotting the next book and nanowrimo!

I have one more chapter to edit and then I am done with this second/third (there's some confusion in what counted as a draft) of my book Ignited.

I'll be then setting the draft aside to plot my next novel, and work on it during National Novel Writing Month - aka NaNoWriMo (which is technically international).

I'll be using this thread to show how I plot my books, how the plotting expands, how the first draft goes and my progress during nanowrimo as well as how my progress of finishing the first draft goes after nano.

I won't be starting to plot for a few days since I want to give myself a break after getting the last chapter of Ignited edited, but I will mention that what I prefer to use to help me plot is this.

I use this specific plot structure guide but move things around a little bit to fit my preferred style. It's not a 'you must follow this exactly' kind of thing, and more so just to help you get started and get an idea.

I usually have my plot written down on index cards, and in the software I use Scrivener, that has an 'index card' feature as well, for when I don't feel like bringing my physical cards places, but I found having color coded physical index cards is very helpful.

I'll post a photo oh the index cards from my last book ASAP as well as the index cards with the plot I make in the upcoming weeks. :)

Feel free to share your own progress, and your nanowrimo name if you are on the website and want to add me as a buddy!

My username on the website is: dmichellec
MercyInReach Topic Starter

I finished the draft of Ignited and am officially plotting my next book for NaNoWriMo.

Here is an example of how I do my physical index cards for plot!

20190217_204455_HDR.jpg

And here is an example of how I do my index cards for plot on Scrivener.

unknown.png

I'll show the index cards and what not for my current plotting when I am done. :)
I have about 2/3s of my outline done at this point. It's just all typed up in notepad. Just gotta fill in a few small side plots, and come up with the rest of the names for secondary characters, and places.

EDIT: Username on the site is Warlocke

Forgot this existed but oh well!

It's day 6 of nanowrimo and I am at 15,500 words! I'm already super tired but also excited. ^-^

My plot is all figured out and on my index cards, I'll post a scrivener screen shot too at some point.

20191031_172317.jpg
It's the start of day 9 for me, and I just hit 23k

Usually by now I would be done (this is my 16th nano) But working a lot of hours, graveyard shift has made it tough. I usually work during prime writing time.

My outline has helped a great deal, but as always while writing I've thought up additions and little deviations from the original plan that I feel makes the story better.

Currently doing terrible things to (in my opinion) the most likeable and relatable character in the story because clearly I am a monster.

Warlocke wrote:
It's the start of day 9 for me, and I just hit 23k

Usually by now I would be done (this is my 16th nano) But working a lot of hours, graveyard shift has made it tough. I usually work during prime writing time.

My outline has helped a great deal, but as always while writing I've thought up additions and little deviations from the original plan that I feel makes the story better.

Currently doing terrible things to (in my opinion) the most likeable and relatable character in the story because clearly I am a monster.

Ohh that's amazing! Good job! I'm at 19k almost 20k right now. My goal is to get to 25k by Monday ^-^ You have really gotten to 50k by day 9 before??! That's insane!

I'm at 30k as of tonight! Wrote 5k today, I'm...exhausted to day the least.

How am I doing with NaNoWriMo you ask? Well... I WON! I got 50k!*sounds horn* But my personal goal is 75k by the 30th.

unknown.png

Didn't do much updating of this thread but....

NANOWRIMO IS OVER!

My personal goal was 75k, I only got 74k, because the last two hours of nanowrimo my brain shut off. I still need to finish the draft but I am taking several weeks break before I get on that, I need time to rest and do other things I enjoy, like video games, reading, talking to my bff, art, and of course RP.

Out of all my planned and unplanned scenes... I finished or mostly finished 32 out of 45! And I'm about 3/4ths through the plot if slightly before that point ^-^

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Follow Nano Progress [Plotting + Drafting Thread]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus