Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Power of Chrome

Darth_Angelus Moderator

One of the most impressive things Chrome can do (at least, to someone who has been playing PC games for the last 20 years or so).

Someone has taken Dosbox and made a web version of it, so now you can play all those old Dos games in your browser :D

But only if you use Chrome, it's the only browser that supports it right now.

Link
Kim Site Admin

One of Google's mission statements involves making the internet more like your current desktop applications. More powerful, more interactive, more useful. You can already see examples of this philosophy in action in their surprisingly awesome text editing tools - It does just about everything you generally want MS Word to do (and more), and it does it all for free, online, so your saved documents can be accessed by you from anywhere, and shared with anyone without futzing around with different software versions that potentially make opening different file types a nightmare. That's just one example.

Lately, they've been moving pretty aggressively toward better game support in an effort to make this idea more appealing to the masses, and I've been pretty impressed with the results so far. Makes me want to start programming sweet browser games!
Darth_Angelus Topic Starter Moderator

Kim wrote:
Makes me want to start programming sweet browser games!

I've been wanting to do that too and have been mulling over ideas. The internet has come a long way over the last few years and I'd like to see what I can do :)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Power of Chrome

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus