Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Help? Chest aches

I get rather sharp pains in my left breast. When I was younger I could get them to go away simply by taking a very painful deep breath... but at the time they were in both breasts and were passed off as growing pains or 'boob cramps"

Anyway, this year, I have been having them, and only on the left side. They wont go away with a deep breath. I saw a walk-in care provider about it and she said it was because I had abruptly stopped taking one of my meds. Well now I have been back on my meds for over three months, so that cant be it.

Today I have had that pain twice. Once while I was swimming and right now while im watching tv.

Should I bring this up to my doctor or is it nothing to worry about?";
Sanne Moderator

Please keep in mind we're not medical practitioners and our advice will never top that of an actual doctor's. If you keep having this issue, do seek help from a professional!

That said, I'm also frequently subjected to the symptoms you're describing. They stem from different causes. I'm going to assume that these pains are beneath the breast tissue and feel like muscle cramps, and not the breast itself. It would explain why inhaling deeply helped make it go away before!

Anyway, this is the list of reasons why you may be experiencing these pains:

1. Your posture is poor/you're hunching a lot.
2. Your chest is large and causes discomfort. Your muscles will struggle with the weight and cause cramps.
3. Your bra is the wrong size (which is common for most women actually) and the pressure is causing cramps. Try taking off your bra when you have pain again and see if it provides relief.
4. You're under a lot of stress and subconsciously putting pressure on your chest with tension, which causes cramps.

Most of these things can be fixed by standing straight, doing relaxation exercises or even yoga. Take a warm bath or shower, apply a hot water bottle to your chest (don't burn yourself!) and try getting a professional fitting for your bras.

If none of these sound familiar and fixing/avoiding them doesn't help, definitely seek help from a doctor. It can be a much more serious issue! Don't let anyone turn you down with a silly excuse like not taking meds is causing it. Usually meds have side-effects that cause cramps and pains, and NOT taking them should fix it - not the other way around!

I hope you feel better, either way. My pains are a combination of all of the above, so I can do a few tricks to make it easier on myself. I hope that's all it is for you too, but I still strongly suggest you talk to a doctor anyway.
Kim Site Admin

Cramps are like headaches -- they can be caused by darn near anything, they are usually nothing to worry about, and very rarely they are symptoms of something that needs immediate medical intervention. Not really knowing anything about your lifestyle or your family history and not having any medical background so having no qualifications to comment (LEGAL BUTT COVERING) makes it extremely hard to tell you anything useful!

Cramps are very often the result of vitamin deficiencies. You might try eating more bananas and adding a multivitamin to your daily regimen and see if that helps. Sanne also had some fantastic suggestions to try.

I'd also repeat that if none of these things help fairly quickly you should really ask someone more qualified than us. :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

I have the same thing. It is probably not your heart. If they are persistent pains that last longer than a couple minutes, or pains that feel like squeezing or crushing, you should seek med help since that might be your heart! Sharp pains are scary, but honestly are less of a big deal IN GENERAL. Sharp chest pains can also be linked to gastrointestinal stuff like esophagus spasms and acid reflux! I think that's why I experience them.
I'd say it was probably just a little indigestion.

It sucks, you feel a burning, pressure that is very acute and painful.

Drinking water and sitting still always helped me, it usually passes away after a few minutes.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Help? Chest aches

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus