Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Christmas traditions in different countries

England:

The common belief is that Santa Claus brings all the presents on Christmas day (24th night/25th December)

People put up Christmas trees and decorate them with fairy lights and tinsel. They leave empty red stockings which are filled with sweets by morning.

Children take letters to Santa grotto in shopping centres or leave them in the stockings

Spain - General:

25th there is only a big family meal (no presents)

The common belief is that the Three Kings of Orient (3 wise men) bring the presents on Epiphany (5th night/6th January)

Some people put Christmas trees, though the majority build large intricate detailed nativity sets instead and decorate that with fairy lights and the room with tinsel

On the 5th January there are big parades on the streets (called Cabalgata) and children give the letters during the parade.

Catalonia - North Spain

25th December they celebrate the Tio Tio a pagan custom / tradition adopted into Christianity where children hit a large log with wooden sticks. They leave the room to see the nativity set where they sing Christmas carols to baby Jesus and upon returning the log pooped toys, sweets, small presents.

Big presents are opened the 6th of January which were delivered the night before by the 3 kings.

France:

They celebrate Saint Nicholas the 6th of December hiding bags of sweets around the house. They ring a bell "Saint Nicholas bell" and the children start treasure hunting

Presents are opened the 25th of December and after they have a large family meal and sing carols in the evening.

Which ones do you celebrate?
Worth also mentioning that whilst in the US it's customary to leave milk and cookies out for Santa, in the UK it's more common to leave Santa a glass of sherry and a mince pie instead. And I've read that the Irish leave Santa some Guinness.

So Americans... if Santa turns up at your house drunk... you're welcome. XD
American Christmas tradition mostly mimics England's, although in Puerto Rico they additionally celebrate Epiphany/Three Kings Day. And Nativity scenes are pretty common in various forms/scales throughout the US.

I'm amused at what Riik brought up. XD Maybe that's the real reason for the rosy cheeks!
Live in the US but I personally don't do any of the traditional US things which are pretty much the same as England. Instead I usually get chinese food, and every two years go to the tmobile store and get a new phone as my christmas present. Spend Christmas eve and Christmas playing around on it. The years there isn't a new phone on Christmas, I usually spend most of the time watching cheesy romance christmas movies.

No tree, no stockings, maybe a candy cane or two but not much, and not really much in the way of present giving. Used to be when I was younger and had family but now it's pretty much just me and myself and my dad sometimes if he's off work.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Christmas traditions in different countries

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus