Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Character Concept - is it worth it?

If this post sounds selfish I apologize ahead of time.

I recently dealt with a situation in an rp that got me thinking. I wish to create a character with a most unusual flaw that will also allow me to learn and grow. This flaw is called Alexithymia.
In short it is a sub-clinical condition that prevents one from comprehending and sometimes even feel emotions.

As one might imagine this can cause many problems. Some traits of this character would be as such.
  • Lives more like an animal. Instinct driven instead of emotionally driven
  • Commonly responds wrong or strangely to emotional situations. Example: smiling when one talks about their woes
  • Misinterprets positive emotions, like love, as fear or anger instead.
  • Causes self harm without knowing why. Depression and stress are usually seen and known by others first.
  • Just because certain emotions are unknown doesn't mean said character will not want to get involved in certain emotional situations. It will just be difficult
  • Emotional reactions(like smiling or laughing) are a result of learning how to respond when. Not always successful

There is more but that is a sample of what Alexithymia can do to someone.

This character I will create to deliberately throw into unnerving situations, such as romantic themes. The purpose is to hopefully understand emotions better to make me a better writer. Also allows me start branching into new areas with my rps. I just don't want to create the character if no one will find such a concept interesting or if it's deemed too selfish.

Your views would be very much appreciated! Please and thank you
Great7

The concept isn’t all to wrong since there are real life scenarios of it. People have been making stories of it for a long time I think. In my opinion it’s alright
Rune_Weaver

I agree. If it's something you want to explore in RP then do it.
be sure careful with this and make sure to try and find stories of people who actually live with this disorder - basically, make a super good point not to write some weird 'ohwowow theyre so weird and animal-like' ablest caricature of a real disorder.
*personal account stories not fictional
LunarValravn Topic Starter

Mejasoulfruit wrote:
be sure careful with this and make sure to try and find stories of people who actually live with this disorder - basically, make a super good point not to write some weird 'ohwowow theyre so weird and animal-like' ablest caricature of a real disorder.

A good idea though I personally do live with it. It's bit me in the rear more often than not attempting to socialize. If anyone knows of others who deal with it I would like to talk to them.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Character Concept - is it worth it?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus