Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Better Roleplaying - How To Create a Great Charact

Before I begin, let me preface this a little:

Time and time again, I’ve seen people asking what build to take, and designing the character after the build. Or making some juvenile psychopathic edgelord or some poorly constructed addict of carnal pleasure. Sometimes, I see people make characters with no motivation besides getting shiny things, and being surprised when other PCs don’t feel bad for the character when they die. This guide is here to hopefully alleviate this issue. After all, it’s not DND if you only partake in 2 pillars.
How do make a perfect character
• Ask what you want to explore with this character.

Whether a theme, concept, or personality, that’s great. If all you can think of is “I just really like playing rogues”, then ask yourself why you like playing rogues. Make your answer the character’s answer, and build from there. I would genuinely enjoy role playing alongside a character who decided to worship Pelor just so he could heal people better.

• Name at least 3 people who your character likes and who like your character.

Whether from their backstory, or other PCs (ask if the PC actually likes your PC before assuming), make sure at least a few people think you’re generally tolerable. This is the best way to really create an enjoyable character, as you’ll have relations to explore.

• Ask what motivates your character to do what they do.

Do not say power or money. That’s what the Lich you are going to kill wanted (unless your goal is to show the razor edge between hero and villain. In that case, please treat the subject with maturity and complexity, and you’re all set). Think about it: very few people crave power just for power’s sake. If they do, they were probably raised to do so. If they crave it for some other reason, elaborate.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Better Roleplaying - How To Create a Great Charact

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus