Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Voidlands RP Pitch (Sci-fi alt-history) (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Hiya, I'm Len or Eclipse, with a sci-fi RP proposal, or more accurately a sci-fi setting with a couple conceptions of possible RPs.
In brief, the setting (called "Voidlands") is a sci-fi setting initially set in a halo or mass effect sort of technology level. The setting operates in the "medium-soft" hardness range, sort of similar to something like Warhammer 40k or Fallout where most things still have some real-world principles involved (like lasers will operate like lasers and plasma operates like plasma, none of that star-wars-y gravity in space or "blasters".), but quite a few things will deviate from reality or be completely fantastical too (space magic, visual range space battles, the works.)

The setting is alt-history and starts in the late 23rd century (though theres actually alot of backstory that goes way back before that, and the alternate part of alternate history starts way before that stage.) The most powerful faction is the Earthborn Directorate, which is a coalition of all of the major human factions, which co-operate for international security and to "protect humanity". Because of their focus on preserving humanity, they have rigid restrictions against genetic engineering and artificial intelligence as things that could threaten humanities dominance.

Having said all that the main characters would not be from the Earthborn Directorate, or even human, but rather are "Dwarrow", a genetically modified subspecies of humans. The Dwarrow have been on the run, staying ahead of human colonization for centuries following their cataclysmic defeat in the "great war", fought on earth in the 21st century. Dwarrow are generally androgynous, appear perpetually youthful, and have various genetic enhancements such as radiation resistance. (Theres way more detail of course but I'm not going to go too in-depth here.)
Some major setting details include:

- Colonized space is fairly small (Around a dozen heavily colonized worlds, several dozen minor mining or farming colonies) and further colonization relies on sublight colony vessels that take years to reach their destinations. Transport between colonized systems relies on a system of artificial wormholes, which requires a station at either end (called a "Wormhole Modulator") to access.

- The most powerful faction is the Directorate, but within the directorate are myriad other countries and it is not really a cohesive whole. The Directorates authority varies from world to world.

- Artificial Intelligence and genetic engineering are key setting details, but at start are rare in directorate space.

- Alien life is (for the time being) limited to primitive microbiology or inanimate "plant"-like life.

- Warfare early on is mostly limited to piracy and raiders, as the Directorate acts as a peacekeeping force. Some larger conflicts may occur within a system or something but there are no interstellar conflicts... yet.

As for what I'm looking for in the RP... I'll just do bullet points again they're convenient.

- The RP is going to focus on the genetically engineered Dwarrow civilization beyond colonized space, and really I'd prefer if all characters were dwarrow, or at least a genetically enhanced species from the same civilization. I've tried to rp with peoples original characters before and in sci-fi its just always a hassle trying to keep them together, honestly. Doubly so if they're human and have a vested interest in conflict with them. I might consider something with other characters if it had a strategy slant and was focused on the larger-scale conflict between two different factions, but I dont really have a clear concept of how that would start and would be skeptical.

- Conversely, I would be down to have temporary (but potentially recurring) antagonistic characters played by either of us, especially to control enemy movements during important scenes.

- I'll probably focus on a relatively small cast of characters, but the RP will involve some larger-scale ship-to-ship or ground battles and may include a strategic element. It also will probably involve lots of ship statistics and talk about in-universe technologies and stuff because thats the kind of thing I like. Also, its likely to have timelapses and talk about what each faction is doing in their time, like some large-scale strategy rp.

- My first prompt idea is having the main characters be the crew of an undercover merchant freighter, secretly gathering intel on Directorate society and gathering assets while exploring known space.

- A second prompt would revolve initially around the Dwarrow fleet gathering resources and securing its own survival outside of colonized space. This one might be slow, so dont really consider it unless your very patient and intend to stick around.

- A third prompt for if you really dont want to be dwarrow, would be having the other person be a sympathetic Jovian systems individual that joins the crew of the undercover merchant freighter.

- My post length is highly variable. During action scenes or when writing scene descriptions I can write many paragraphs or pages. Conversely, during dialogue I'll frequently write less than a paragraph. Also, generally the faster I get replies the smaller my replies will be, and conversely if I am getting replies slowly (like once per day) I'll write alot more per post.

- I can RP either here or in discord

There is alot more of the setting, backstory, ship statistics, all sorts of other stuff I could go over, but thats probably enough for the pitch.

Having said all that theres the other side of potential rp focuses which is. if you've seen the cuddle rp post I made, that. Maybe kind of extremely unusual for a sci-fi rp but theres no reason they cant coexist. obviously not required just worth mentioning.
Magic 40%
Magic is rare. Some of the players might have it. There may be sages or other magical figures that could be sought out for tutelage.
Technology 80%
Far future, perhaps interstellar travel (generation ships)
Combat 50%
Combat is expected as part of the storyline but it won't dominate the plot.
Romance 00%
No romance at all will be included in this plot, period.

Details: Freeform, adjustable length posts, long-term RP partner preferred.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Voidlands RP Pitch (Sci-fi alt-history) (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus