Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Custom Gender and No Gender Options

Hi! I wanted to suggest two new gender options for characters? I love the variety RPR has, but I think there could a tweak could make it even better!

Custom Gender
Let's preface this with, I know It's absolutely something that could be abused in a transphobic/generally weird way. But, folks already do that with the current gender options. So as long as slurs are reported in character genders as they are in forum posts, it'd be fine. I also don't think it should replace the wide variety of genders RPR offers as a base! It's a helpful tool, both for characters and for the folks I know who've found some really nice ways to describe their identity with the terms they learned through just trying to make a character! I think a custom one would be perfect for the gender terms that might've been missed by RPR (a lot of folks describe their gender in a lot of ways, and a lot of cultures have different takes on gender) as well as allow for more creativity! I think it would make it nicer for writers who don't develop new species, races and cultures within the rules of the gender-binary but also don't deduce them to their sex (assuming the race/species/culture itself falls into the same rules of defining sex, as well) by allowing the writer to accurately describe the character's gender, rather than finding whichever might be closest - however 'close' close might be.

No Gender
So, when creating a character you're able to not mark the gender. From there, where it usually says gender, it will just be blank. However, if you chose a gender after, it will not let you go back to blank and the closest there is to that is 'unknown.' I know it's not the intent of character profiles, but a lot of people (myself especially) use profiles to build worlds, compile plots, and store miscellaneous characters. I think being able to go back to no gender assigned to a character would be really useful to these people. As someone who is agender, I personally believe just subbing in agender as the 'no gender' role is a bit unhelpful. It's still a way of self-description, and also inaccurate for groups of characters and things that don't have a concept of gender to begin with, such as most non-live buildings. I think this marker could go back to being blank, or it could just say 'no gender,' and replace the blank, or any variant of.
Claine Moderator

You can already set your character to have no listed gender. Just select the 'blank' position on the dropdown menu

32VcbCc.png

n0edlML.png
Folklore Topic Starter

Claine wrote:
You can already set your character to have no listed gender. Just select the 'blank' position on the dropdown menu

32VcbCc.png

n0edlML.png

Can you do that after you've made the character profile and set a gender? Unless I'm just stuck with a very specific bug or they've updated it recently, I've at least been unable to go back to the blank and use it as a gender. Imma double check tho. I'm hyped for this news.
Folklore Topic Starter

yeah nah i'm not getting the option post-setting-the-gender. I've scrolled bottom to top and it's not there after you've set a gender. The reason my D&D profile has a gender was a bit of an oversight on my part about what I wanted the profile to be.

unknown.png
Kim Site Admin

That's a bug. I'll fix it. You should be able to blank out the gender at any time. (Edit: done.)

Re: custom gender, just blank the gender and write down whatever you want?
Folklore Topic Starter

That’s good! And sorry aa, I just thought it’d be a fun idea for characters and helpful for people who can’t find their gender listed.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Custom Gender and No Gender Options

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus