Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Mental hospitals

This post won't be very long...and I'm not sure if I'm doing it in the right area so it might be taken down? I'm not sure.

I was just curious about mental hospitals. I've never been so I was wondering: Are the people there safe while there...are they treated ok?
I do have a reason to ask this but I don't plan on going into details...
Novus

It honestly depends on the hospital about how patients are treated, but I can assure you that you would be safe, regardless. I've been committed as well as have worked in the mental health industry, and I've seen a stark difference between the hospital that I was placed and the organization that I was a part of. All I have to say is please, do your research if you are looking for help. If you go to the ER you can make a request if they send you someplace. But if you're in a location where there isn't much option, sometimes you have to take the chance.

Another thing about going to a mental hospital is that you can acquire the help you need faster, so long-term good also comes from it. Once you leave, you're automatically made an appointment with another therapist or psychiatrist (or both) to initiate care. People who have been committed have a higher priority, especially if they were placed on suicide watch (spoiler for trigger warning).

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out. I can go into more detail about things when not in a public forum. I'm also available to talk if you need help. You can reach me easier on my Discord.
Sarlic Topic Starter

Ah thanks...

It isn't for me, I'm just worried about someone else but reading what you said makes me feel better...sorry to make a post like this-
Novus

No, no, please don't apologize for asking a very important question. And I apologize for assuming that it was for you. I'm glad I was able to make you feel better. Hugs. <3
Sarlic Topic Starter

It's fine, if I saw someone else send this kind of post I'd assume they were talking about themselves too.
The one experience I had many years ago was not a bad one. That was a state hospital and I arrived there from fasting too long and stayed for a month. I got better over a few weeks. The nurses there really seemed to care -- it's not like it used to be or like it is in movies. Only if someone is violent with other people were they given say, a shot of a sedative or something...no one was forced to do anything unless they were literally a danger, and even then the least possible force was used. This was mainly people in full blown manic episodes who were fighting other people or nurses, which happened only like twice within the entire few weeks I was there. This was in 1998. There were beautiful grounds...people that were doing ok got the ability to go out and walk the trails and do recreational activities. I remember there was a dance. There was an outing to a fast food place. It was all really well managed.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Mental hospitals

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus