Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Profile text alignment?

I've got columns on my profile page which are supposed to be centred but the whole block itself is aligned to the left. I don't know if that can be tweaked with more BBCode, any fixes?

I could've sworn I got it all evenly spaced out and I've seen other people attempt the same thing so it must've worked at some point. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with it.
Huh. It's clear you've tried very hard to get it to center, but the table (the columns BBCode actually creates a table) isn't wanting to expand to the full width of its container. I can't remember if that's typical (from the contained text being so narrow) or not. I think it is. And since we can't edit CSS on our user pages, it can't be fixed directly.

One thing you could try would be adding text to each "column" that's just there to widen it. So we take something like this... (The spacing is just for visual clarity in the code example, I don't actually have it in the displayed example and I think RPR removes it anyway.)

Code:
[columns] [center] La la dee Testing [/center] [nextcol] [center] Just messin' around weee [/center] [nextcol] [center] Stuff things Whatnot [/center] [/columns]

Which looks like this...

La la dee
Testing
Just messin' around
weee
Stuff
things
Whatnot

And try adding something like...

Code:
[columns] [center] La la dee Testing [color=transparent]________________________________________[/color] [/center] [nextcol] [center] Just messin' around weee [color=transparent]________________________________________[/color] [/center] [nextcol] [center] Stuff things Whatnot [color=transparent]________________________________________[/color] [/center] [/columns]

Which looks like this...

La la dee
Testing
Stuff
things
Whatnot

This way you can make the table fill the space out better. The problem is that it still sits to the left, so if you don't have a long enough spacer to fit how wide someone's window is, it'll still appear off-center; and if you have too long of a spacer for the window width, it'll either force the window to have a side-scroll bar or it'll break your spacer into multiple lines.

Having the table (the column tags) inside a centering tag will do nothing. It won't center the table, nor its contents.
Lucidus Topic Starter

Oof. So that's how it works? No wonder I couldn't fix it.

I'll try your solution some time, thanks for that demonstration. Looking at someone else's example is a great help, I was getting confused staring at my own code since I haven't touched it in months and not willing to mess up that work. Knowing all I need is some filler really simplifies things.

edit: So it looks like I actually did that already and forgot. I think what happened is that RPR changed fonts after the update and that messed up the alignment which relies on the spacing/width of that font, I thought I had it working before. I'm tweaking it right now and finding that it's sometimes even more messed up on mobile devices due to window sizes, guess we can't win em all and I have to settle for making it look good on PC only.

You are on: Forums » Help » Profile text alignment?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus