Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » A Question or Two

The Anonymous (played anonymously)

So, I have currently looked more into art, and I just had a question or two about this particular subject, and I thought this would be the best place to go.

If and when drawing digital art, what app or software would be preferred over another?

And is there a way to just get rid of the background and have it transparent, just to help focus in on the drawing?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks! ;p
Sai is my go to program, you can hide or lower opacity of the layers, including a background.

Photoshop is probably the most widely used.

Krita is nice too, a bit more complex, but I like that it has body models that you can manually shape and move for custom poses.

There's another one in have on my computer as well but I cant remember it right now for the life of me, lol.

Essentially though, all of those programs do have layering that you can easily fade your background with.

I usually work with a solid color background and flip it on and off throughout the process to see the full effects of what I'm doing.

Hope this helped! ☺️✌
The Anonymous (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Isnelx wrote:
Sai is my go to program, you can hide or lower opacity of the layers, including a background.

Photoshop is probably the most widely used.

Krita is nice too, a bit more complex, but I like that it has body models that you can manually shape and move for custom poses.

There's another one in have on my computer as well but I cant remember it right now for the life of me, lol.

Essentially though, all of those programs do have layering that you can easily fade your background with.

I usually work with a solid color background and flip it on and off throughout the process to see the full effects of what I'm doing.

Hope this helped! ☺️✌

It did, very much! Thanks!
Very welcome!

That other program was Clip Studio Paint by the way :)
SAI is a nice, more on the cheap end digital art program that a lot of people use - I used to, and it's wonderful, even if I've moved on from it.

If you're interested in Photoshop, but don't like the monthly / annual price, I'd suggest Clip Studio; It's the program I personally use, and it's very similar / equal to Photoshop in quality, but it's a one time purchase and goes on sale quite regularly.

There are plenty of free programs out there too that I've heard good things about. I'd suggest googling those, and then going on youtube and search "<program> timelapse" or "<program> speed paint" and that'll show you people working on those programs so you can see how the space works in motion rather than static photos

c:
I highly suggest the Krita program, it's free and has a lot of free brushes :)

DarkCrow wrote:
SAI is a nice, more on the cheap end digital art program that a lot of people use - I used to, and it's wonderful, even if I've moved on from it.

If you're interested in Photoshop, but don't like the monthly / annual price, I'd suggest Clip Studio; It's the program I personally use, and it's very similar / equal to Photoshop in quality, but it's a one time purchase and goes on sale quite regularly.

There are plenty of free programs out there too that I've heard good things about. I'd suggest googling those, and then going on youtube and search "<program> timelapse" or "<program> speed paint" and that'll show you people working on those programs so you can see how the space works in motion rather than static photos

c:

I'll be sure to check that out! Thanks!

MercyInReach wrote:
I highly suggest the Krita program, it's free and has a lot of free brushes :)

Gotcha. Thanks!
Rogue-Scribe

DarkCrow wrote:

This is an awesome program. It doesn’t have all the photoshop bells and whistles but it is solid. Highly recommended!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » A Question or Two

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus