Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Calling of the Stars

Oliver South (played by Tugboattom)

Oliver looked up from his hand and watched her repeat his actions. He grinned tiredly before explaining," First we eat." Placing a finger to his lips," Then we consider," He moved his fingers up to his forehead," Then we talk." He dropped his hand back to his lips again." I came from a land of merchants and salesman. It was how they addressed eachother before buying something." He told her, purposely ignoring the fact that he didn't come from there, but was forced into that land.

Oliver shook his head and ran a hand through his hair," Oh, yeah, sorry 'bout 'at.Oliver. Oliver South." He answered rather baffled at his own forgetfulness. He squinted," And you're... Jupiter, correct? Or were you Pluto? Or Neptune?" He asked, completely seriously.
Jupiter Vega (played by KingOfDorks) Topic Starter

Oh! I get it!” Jupiter’s mouth fell into an ‘O’ shape. Then, she smiled somewhat broader. “I mean, that makes sense, now. Thank you!” She nodded in appreciation, taking note of what she was told in case she might need it later. Though, she wasn’t sure if this information was majorly important, but who knows?

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Oliver!” The female snickered. “Formally, in this case. And you’re right. It’s Jupiter. Pfft! Why would Astraea’s be named after planets? That’s silly. ‘Jupiter’, as in protection of the people made by a Roman god. Or, at least, that’s what I was told. There’s another definition that’s not as pleasant, but..” She shrugged with a nervous laugh. “That one is preferred not to be spoken about, I suppose. Anyways, what’re you off to do now? If you have anything important to do, don’t let me stop you from doing it. I’m just here for the good of it, y’know?” Immediately, she laughed underneath her breath. Yet again, she had managed to slip in another pun.

Oliver's mind spun in a whirlwind of thoughts," I'm... off to find some answers." He stated, trying to keep from saying anything negative. If he told her that he was off to find another informant, that might tell him something more useful. Or that he was going to go wander into the woods and try to remember if he really had been the one that killed his parents. Either way, he wasn't sure he wanted the Astraea to know that.

Oliver pulled his ebony sword from its scabbard with a hiss of leather on steel. He smiled warmly as he layed it in one hand, admiring it's beauty and elegance. He sighed as his eyes were drawn to the red stain. He wiped it across his pantleg again and pulled out his whetstone to sharpen it.

Jupiter thought for a moment. ‘Off to find some answers’ was a generic response, and there had been hesitation in his words. She huffed. It was a pity they hadn’t built much trust yet. “Alright,” The Astraea finally nodded, coming to a conclusion that that was a simple response that might’ve not confirmed or denied her curiosity.

Then her stare landed on the weapon. She rose a brow, taking a step back before she noticed the slight difference in coloring in one spot. Then, gasping, she closed her eyes tightly and scrunched her face. “Oh, I wish I hadn’t seen that,” Jupiter shook her head, as if doing so would wash the image from her mind. She spoke in a sing-songy voice, wishing that would make the situation lighter. Unfortunately, it didn't. “Where.. How did that get there, exactly..?”

Oliver forced his gaze up from his sword and sighed once more," I," He hesitated before pushing his hair out of his face and finally replying," I killed a man." His left hand swayed to the left,," He told me I was the one that killed them." Then he moved his hand to the right," And so I... Ouch!" He said as he finally realized that in moving his hand back he had accidently cut his index finger. He stuck the finger in his mouth and glared. Not neccesarily at anything, just glaring.

Oliver took the finger out of his mouth and shook it before bringing it back and investigating it. His nose scrunched up as he found that it was still bleeding. He shook it once more before placing his sword back in its scabbard and looking in his pockets for something to wrap his finger up in.

Jupiter felt her hand twitch. Her guess had, unfortunately, been right, and the moment she had heard so, she flailed her hands. “Jupiter, goodness! Get a hold of yourself!” She lectured herself with a quick shake of her head, placing her hands on her cheeks. Sighing, she opened her eyes and dared to look at Oliver. “Oh! Are you alright?” She moved forward before stopping herself completely. If she wanted to build some sort of trust or assurance with the Target, perhaps she didn’t need to be in his bubble too much.

“Could.. I potentially help with anything..?” The Astraea raised a brow. Her fingers brushed over the lettering on her wrist as she folded her arms behind her back, sidetracking her attention for a moment. Though, she did make sure to glance back towards Oliver after a moment or two.

" 'eah. 'm 'eal ' ood." Oliver said as he tried to speak around his finger, which was back in his mouth. He sighed and pulled the soggy, saliva and blood soaked appendage out of his mouth before wringing it again and hissing in pain," Yeouch!"He bit his lip in an attempt to keep from yelling too loudly," Sorry, didn't mean to shout." He hissed through the pain before sticking his finger back in his mouth.
Oliver looked up from his pocket. He grimaced as the metallic taste flooded his mouth. The luckling pulled his finger out and shook it once more as he spat on the ground. He knew it shouldn't be bleeding this bad, but because of his stroke of bad luck it was going to bleed as much as possible from a slice that size." Erm... Do you have a napkin, or some other clothe that you don't care about too much?" He asked as he held the finger out at arms length.

“No worries.. I understand,” Jupiter nodded firmly, looking around the area she stood in. Her hands patted down her clothing. “I.. I don’t think- Oh! Just a moment!” She looked down at herself, taking in that she happened to be wearing a dress with too much pazazz for her comfort. Though, who was she to judge? So, she simply kneeled down, tearing off a piece of the fabric of the skirt.

Smiling, the Astraea extended the torn cloth towards the male as she rose to her feet, but she then seemed confused. “If I can only be seen by you-” She pointed to him using her opposing hand. “-then can others see anything that belongs to.. me..?” Her brows furrowed. Then, she gasped and grinned, as if she hadn’t realized this before. “Does that mean that I could pick up something, but it would just look like it’s floating for other people? That sounds thrilling!”

Oliver nodded in gratitude taking the cloth gingerly from her. He took his finger out of his mouth, shook it, and wrapped it tightly with the cloth before grabbing a cord from his pocket, usually used for killing but today it was being used to tie his wound off." Thank you kindly. Sorry about that, but don't be surprised if something similar happens again." He shrugged,," It's simply my lot in life."

" That's what you got out of all this? That it would be " thrilling" to creep people out by making things float? I feel so appreciated!" He joked as he ran a hand through his hair.

Jupiter nodded, but she eventually made a sound that was relatively close to hissing. In reality, she had meant to speak, but her actions were quicker than her thoughts. “Hey! Don’t be so down on yourself,” She folded her arms and lifted her chin, grinning. “I’m sure you’ll have moments that are wonderful and good and amazing and-” Jupiter inhaled with a sheepish laugh. “You.. get the point.”

“I never said I wanted to ‘creep people out’,” The Astraea scrunched her nose and narrowed her eyes, chuckling. “I just think it would be cool. I mean, imagine if someone thought you were making things float! Unless.. Unless you can already do that. Then it wouldn’t be as exciting.”

Oliver raised an eyebrow to her " hissing" before dropping it when she spoke." Oh, I do have good times, but I don't have lucky ones." He chuckled darkly as he looked about him, dropping the silence spell with a sigh of relief and began to walk. He wasn't sure why he was walking, or where he was walking yoo. He was simply walking, maybe it would feel more companionable walk and talk then to just talk. For whatever reason, he walked.

Oliver shook his head," Nope, I'm afraid I do not have telepathy, or whatever it is that let's people make things float." He shrugged," I don't know, it could be pretty cool to be able to use that to intimidate people. Dunno." He finally decided.

“Not with that pessimist attitude, you don’t,” Jupiter declared with a flare of confidence, beginning to follow after the male. Once again, she ignored the temptation to lift herself off the ground and simply glide, for that would reveal that she could leave anytime she wanted to. Only, she couldn’t. Not.. exactly.

She held up her hands, equal to her chest, with her palms facing him as they shimmied back and forth. “Ha! It would, wouldn’t it?” The Astraea grinned broadly. Her hands flopped down by her side again before making contact with her face as she gasped. To stay still for more than a split second seemed nearly impossible, in her case. “It- It would be-!” Her words were tripping over one another, resulting in a lost of breath for a moment as she attempted to gather her excitement. “Someone could be like, ‘Oh, Oliver. Something-something-something that sounds intimidating!’ But you would be all like, ‘Oh, ho ho! But I’ve got a little sumthin’-sumthin’ up my sleeve!’” Suddenly, she turned in a circle, extending her arms. “And I’d kinda just- bah bow!- and they’d be in such shock because you..” She hesitated. “Hang on. It’ll come to me. Oh! Pfft! They’ll be in such shock because you will obviously are just undefeatable! Verbally! No more violence! Woo!” Jupiter skipped in order to go at the same pace as Oliver, smiling as if she were a child. She raised a hand in victory, as if all of that had actually happened, and they were walking away from a triumph.

Oliver chuckled at her ignorance, not that he could blame her of. ourse, just that he found it funny." Well, it really doesn't matter on my attitude, it matters on my species. Er... birth?I'm a lucklin' anywho. And I even found a way to be an outcast to them!" He continued to chuckle at his half-heartrd joke, even if it wasn't all that funny." Most are either black." He swayed his hand to the left, making sure to watch it carefully this time," Or green." He swayed his hand in the opposite direction." I'm... A little bit o' both." He explained.

Oliver raised an eyebrow sarcastically," Um... and this won't frighten them?" He gestured to his dark sword, which gleaned in the sunlight," Then again most are just too ornery to admit that I could easily kill them, or too stupid." Then he frowned," Unless I'm the stupid one for thinking they would understand that." He looked himself up and down, he certainly did look the part of someone who had lost several battles, even if most of his scars were from his luck and not another person.

“Huh,” Jupiter blinked, tapping her chin. “Why would you want to be like anyone else, when you could be an outcast? I mean, why would you want to fit in?” Though, it wasn’t as if she could speak of this matter as if she were very different herself. Compared to her own race, she was unexpectedly normal. Perhaps if she didn’t have such a bubbly nature, she could be claimed to be as dull as Pluto.

Ack! Violence! Negativity!” She gasped, holding the back of her hand to her forehead while her opposing hand rested on her chest. She leaned back only to recall that there happened to be gravity on Earth, but she was still surprised when it pulled her downwards. In a confused panic, Jupiter flailed her arms in a wide circle—which would also represent the shape of her eyes—whilst her feet moved backwards as if that would help. Unfortunately, it didn’t, and she ended up being caught by the ground beneath her with a sheepish smile spread across her expression. “They just.. knock me off of my feet, sometimes.”

Rising to stand once again, she dusted off her clothing and huffed. It wasn’t too long until she put on a smile, though. “And don’t be such a downer! Again!” Jupiter taunted, continuing to frolic forward in an energetic skip as she had before. “But I wouldn’t underestimate people, really. They might know more than they say, and maybe be more than they appear to be. Who knows? Maybe a rather large and sharp weapon that could end their lives within a second doesn’t frighten them. I don’t think I would be very frightened, either. I’ve seen many people who can defeat another without the help of a sword.” Then, she smirked and looked towards him. “For they had used their words! They’re much sharper and hurtful, in the long run. I think you should try them out some time.”

" Oh, it really doesn't matter much to me. Just gives people one more thing to wonder about when they face me. Besides, it really doesn't matter to anyone, I'm pretty sure I'm the last of them. Or atleast the last of my village." He shrugged as if this wasn't a big deal, and that it didn't affect him emotionally. Oliver's face however did change slightly as the corners of his lips lowered into a miniscule frown, before he noticed it and shifted his expression back to the stoic way it had been.

Oliver raised his eyebrow," Sure they do, sure." He commented, his voice dripping with sarcasm." And why am I doubting that?" He continued his sarcastic queries." And, is that just something that Astraea do? Or is it maybe something that people" following the path of good" or whatever do?" He asked," Because if the second option is your answer, then I think I would rather not fall over when people are negative." He grinned, enjoying his rudeness.

" Oh, it isn't that large." Oliver told her as he pulled out his sword once again and inspected it, as if looking for the answer of whether or not it was large. Eventually he nodded," See, not that large." He told her as he placed the sword back in its scabbard." And I leave words to the ones who can use them. Like bards, or skalds. Or politicians." His lip curled up in a snarl at the mention of politicians.

Her eyes widened and her beaming emotions had faltered. She looked to the ground. “I would think it matters,” Jupiter huffed, finally deciding on what to say after the silence had nearly caught up to her. “I think there should always be a reason that someone should look at you and think, ‘Wow. They’re not like anyone else I’ve seen before’. Then you move on and be content with yourself because you know you’ve made this.. this impression on someone and it was agood one.” Then, after a moment of frustratedly throwing around her hands as she struggled to explain what she was thinking, she inhaled and pointed to him as her lips settled into a determined, straight line. “And then you make sure people know who and what you are, so that they can also think, ‘Dang! I wish I got to see more people like them!’ and then they-” She was speaking too quickly. Her tongue was twisted, and her thoughts were scattered. It was a bad habit, really. She often got stirred up over the little things and would continue to work herself up until she realized she was doing so. She drew in and let go of a breath slowly, as if debating what she would do next. “Ah, my apologies. Sometimes I can’t think straight enough to realize not all people work the same way as I do.”

Jupiter snorted. “I think you’re mocking me. Pfft— just remember; when you’re not harming people willy-nilly, I’ll be the one to thank. Clumsiness is just a small price that comes along with my knowledge, I’m afraid.” She shrugged disappointedly, her smile broad and slightly smug.

“The weapon’s large enough to cause problems, and, therefore, too much to hassle,” The woman glanced at it. It wasn’t too bad, honestly. But her concern wasn’t the size, it was simply what he would do with said ‘not-too-large’ sword. Then, she clicked her tongue and smirked. “Anyone can use words, Oliver. It’s not like they’re limited. They’re just better than killing someone.”

Oliver rolled his eyes and crossed his arms," Goody two shoes." He muttered unhappily under his breath." Sure. sure whatever you say." He told her, obviously uncaring as to what she had just said and was simply trying to calm her down." And they already know I'm not like anyone they've ever seen before. I mean, look at my eyes, or my hair." He made sure to look at her for a moment, but not a long one." Or my blade. Or my scars. Or... well you get the point."Then he chuckled," I don't think you think at all." The corners of his lips curled up, barely forming a grin.

" I don't harm people " Willy nilly". I kill for a reason. Usually." Oliver tilted his head, trying to remember if he had ever killed for no reason. He shrugged," I don't believe I've ever killed without reason." He shrugged," So I don't believe I'll be thanking you any time soon.And it's a rather large price for a second conscience." The luckling replied.

" A dagger can cause harm, and it's not large so I don't feel like that's a good argument. And it's not too much to hassle, it keeps people that might've approached me if I didn't have it from getting that close. Like a repellent of sorts. Sure, they're not limited, but the people that can use them well are. And, I am not one of them." Oliver argued.

“Oh, please,” Jupiter snickered. “I’m not too good. Just a little.” She added quickly. “By a lot. Anyways, I don’t think anyone should judge someone on their appearance, even if they’re a little different. I mean, I-” Then, she stopped talking for a moment, her mouth shutting and her eyes broadening slightly. “Hey! I think all the time! Take now, for instance!” She pointed her index finger towards her palm, signaling ‘now’ with a smile, even if the motion made little to no sense.

“Why would you kill in the first place? Even if there might be some big, important reason to it, why? You- You don’t kill your way to peace,” Jupiter huffed. “And I was joking, of course. The ‘thanks’ usually come after I’m gone.” She laughed at this, even if it hurt a little just to admit that. “Well, you wouldn’t have a second conscience if you had just listened to your first one.”

“The point was that all weapons cause problems,” The Astraea threw up her hands, sighing. “And only a fool would fear that. Ack! No offense!” She turned, looking over to her shoulders as she called out to no one in particular. “Anyways, it’s just another accessory to your look, really. Sure, I should be on my toes because you could use that thing at any given moment, but I have a feeling.. you won’t. I don’t think you’re that bad.” She blinked blankly before grinning widely. “Pfft! You don’t even have to be able to use them correctly to get a point across. You just have to use them wisely, really. It’s better than using your sword at least.”

""Just a little, by a lot?"" Oliver quoted," And that's not an oxy- oxy- what do you call 'em? Oxy something. Like pretty ugly. You know what I mean, right?" The luckling asked." They shouldn't, but they do." Oliver stated, very matter-of-fact as if talking about the weather.""Right now for example?"" He quoted again," And what do you call 'at?" He asked as he gestured to her hands.," And I'm not sure you are thinking." He pointed out.

" Um... You realize the answer to " why?" is always a reason so you're kind o' contra... contra... contradicting yourself." He nodded to himself, trying to lodge the word in his brain." I mean, why as why if you already know there's a reason? What information can you gain from that? Or, more importantly, why as why if you're going to say besides a reason? That gains you nothing, nothing at all." Oliver explained.

" No one would fear a sword? And why not? I mean, usually people who wear sword can use them, which should be reason enough to frighten onlookers.And it's not just an accessory, it comes in handy for self defence, or for certain jobs." He exained, slightly offended at the fact that she would insult his blade. For most their blade was a tool, for him it was an extension of his body,his paintbrush, and canvas, his chosen way of expression, and she had insulted it. Not that she knew any of that of course, few people did, but it stung none the less." Um... okay, I'd like to see an example." Oliver challenged.

“An oxymoron? That sounds about right,” The Astraea nodded efficiently, placing both of her arms behind her back once more. She lowered the level of her skip into at least a walk, just because she was beginning to tire herself. “And, no, not really. I wasn’t thinking when I did.. whatever this was.” She brought her hands in front of her again, as if she hadn’t noticed the motions before. “But hold on! What makes you think I’m not thinking?”

Jupiter huffed. “Well, sometimes there’s reason behind a reason. It always backtracks to one thing, usually. An earlier option or a choice or.. something like that. I mean, I would rather have snippets of information than be completely clueless to everything. Besides, it’s.. It just makes sense, in a way. But I guess it all depends on said reason. But I’ll stop asking questions, if it’s bothering you too much. I was just putting my point out there; there’s not really a right way to do wrong things. Killing, for example. You can’t end a murderer’s life for your own satisfaction. Or whatever feeling or emotions you have, get, or want to receive from doing so. It doesn’t make you any better than the murderer themselves.”

“Oh, I’m not saying no one should fear the sword. I’m just saying they shouldn’t,” She shrugged. “I don’t know why someone would use a sword just.. because.” Then, Jupiter smiled and changed her voice somewhat, lowering her tone but adding enthusiasm as she spoke. “Oh, hey there! I was just wondering how your- woah!” She held up her hands in defense, as if an invisible force had provoked her. “Put down that sword, will you, bud? I was just askin’ ‘bout your day!” Then, she snorted at the scenario, covering her mouth. But, as soon as she gathered herself, she raised a brow. “You want an example? Of what? Words that will get you out of a situation?”

(( Apologies about the late reply! Was somewhat busy today! ))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Calling of the Stars

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus