Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » ATLA AU Roleplay (open) (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Multi-Para 1x1 - 18+

Hi all, Pen here! This is a little crossposted with facebook, but I just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender and now i’m here to wreck its shop and tear its poor, poor canon apart. This roleplay I’m pretty sure is set around the time Aang would have disappeared in, but Sozin has been politely blipped out of existence and ignored. So, no 100 year war. Possibly, no avatar Roku if you want your character to be a Fire-based Avatar. I’ve not seen Legend of Korra, so it will not be referenced oop.

Now, I didn’t want to set up your character for you because that’s not how I personally roll, but they obvi come in somewhere at or between Misty Palms Springs and the Liao home. We can find out where your character comes in together. Character suggestions if you need them at all. Most of them aren't really exclusive of each other and can probably be combined. Also! Multimusing is absolutely allowed of course.

- The avatar (fire or air, just to keep up with the cycle) is absolutely free game and would add a very nice element to this roleplay that I enjoy.

- Your character! Is lost in the desert, Lian finds them and takes them home. This one combined with the first one has been fun h a.

- Your character is a native of the Si Wong

- Your character is simply passing through and finds themself at the Liao's for the night.

Starter

The Sun of the Si Wong desert rose high over Kun Liao’s shoulders. Shadows filled the gouges hunger made in his face, sand filled the ones made by age. The disgraced nobleman’s skin had never known a sky so harsh and it burned and became rashy under the desert sun. His ostrich horse trudged slowly through the hot sand, worn raw by days spent dragging it and it’s master through the desert. It, too, had never known a sky so harsh.

Kun tugged the reins and the ostrich horse sighed in relief as it stopped. “This is far enough,” Kun announced quietly. He slid off the back of the ostrich horse. “Stay back now,” He warned. The ostrich horse huffed curious as Kun walked out into the sand. His robes trained behind him as he walked and left a trail in the sand over his footsteps. Once, his robes were regal, soft, and vivid in the natural tones and colors of the Earth Kingdom. Custom tailored by Ba Sing Se’s finest tailor, they were now dirty, torn, and weathered. Sand crawled through the long, flowing sleeves, mixing with sweat and creating a wet grit that Kun felt covered every inch of his body in a scratchy discomfort.

Kun looked over his shoulder hesitantly, now several meters away from his bird. He had never done this before, really. The old man was no master bender, either. But, it had to work. Whether it happened through skill, persistence, or chance, he would bend this sand to his will.

Slowly, Kun inhaled. He placed his hands together and exhaled. He slid his right foot backwards. Suddenly, he spun in a furry. He thrust his right foot around in a semi circle until it met his left at an angle. Kun breathed in slowly. He closed his eyes and focused. He could feel the sand under his feet and all around him. It moved and shifted with every step of his feet, every gust of wind, every movement of the bugs and rodents hidden below. He lunged forward on his right foot, throwing up his arms and summoning the sand forth. It came up in a gust, obscuring his vision.

Kun squinted against the dust. He lurched back and the sand came forth with him. It circled and spun around him in a rabid way that finally ripped away the already loosened ribbon that tied together the long, white beard of the old man. He shot forward and thrust his arms down with a stomp. The sand blew out in a mismanaged gust all around. Kun stood in the middle of it, coughing and wheezing into his sleeve. Behind him, the ostrich horse squawked and bawked as the sand blinded it. Kun heard a small cough and turned. The small girl still seated on the back of the whined, rubbing her eyes. She looked up to Kun. Her small face was as sun-burned as his own.

Kun frowned and bit his lip. He turned, and began to try again. His mind ticked. His movements became slower, and more purposeful. His breathing slowed, and became more careful. Again, he brought the sand up. Then, he thrust it down. He swiped it away and then forced it together. No, this wasn’t the easiest path he could’ve taken, but when he was done he stood on solid, stone, ground again. Kun stood in the middle of a large, sandstone circle. He smiled to himself and thrust up his hands. One by one, he devised the four walls of a home. It was small, and simple. Nothing like he was useful, but it would be /home./

When he was done, Kun wiped the sweat from his forehead and pushed back the white strands of hair that fell into his face. He turned and came back to the ostrich horse. Kun lifted his grand-daughter from the saddle and set her on his hip. “Here. Here we will be safe, my precious flower,” He cooed to her. “I will not let them take you,” Kun promised softly as he brought her and the ostrich horse into the home.

Lian Liao was five years old then when her grandfather Kun Liao, a nobleman of Ba Sing Se and long retired head of the Liao-Hu merchant company, stole her away and disappeared. His reason being - When King Jia Lee Chen of Ba Sing Se rose into power, he declared that as a true act of loyalty, all earthbenders from each of the noble families must join, or be given, to his military. Lian was barely two then -- Not yet old enough to come into her power, and Kun was old and was left alone to enjoy his retirement in peace. This gave time for Kun to watch King Chen’s plans unfurl.

The benders, many as young as five years old, were taken to be schooled in three repurposed military outposts far from the inner circle. One of these benders was Kun’s second son, Xiao. They wrote for some time after Xiao went to the outposts. Kun noticed as Xiao’s language slowly became more and more nationalist, but took pride in his son’s new found love for his kingdom. This changed when Kun met the first group of these specially trained benders and came back to guard Ba Sing Se. The odd, tranquil way they spoke -- Kun did not recognize the brainwashing at first. First, he noticed the talks of war.

The peace between the four nations began to shake as more and more accusations rose against the Earth Kingdom. Attacks on Fire Nation naval ships by far-straying Earth Kingdom ships. Raids on Northern Water Tribe merchant ships by Earth Kingdom Ships and pirates dressed a little too formal and who were a little too organized to be passed off as just imposters. Sky Bison shot down as they flew to and from the Eastern Air Temple over Earth Kingdom land. King Chen refused to acknowledge the attacks. As tensions rose and accusations grew, King Chen almost applauded these “unknown people” who fought back against the nations that frustrated “their kingdom.” War was on the horizon. It brewed into a massive, black cloud.

Kun argued with Lian’s father, Rao, not to send Lian Liao away to the military outposts when she was old enough. Then, war finally came. It started out in the ocean on the Keys of the Fire nation. It was a bloody start, with hundreds dead on either side before the first of the islands were relinquished to the Earth Kingdom. When Lian was five, King Chen’s men had begun collecting children old enough to go to the military outposts directly. Rao saw no reason to keep her away, he was loyal to his country. Seeing the risk to his granddaughter's life, however, Kun took Lian and ran before they could take her. Now, Kun Liao, once a powerful and rich man, is a wanted man of the Earth Kingdom for treason.

It had been many years since. The war raged on, and Nations lost and regained and lost again their footing in their ceaseless fight to survive against King Chen. As Kun hid her roots from Lian to keep her away from the Earth Kingdom, she eventually forgot where she came from and who she once was. Together, Kun and Lian relearned earthbending in the endless dunes of the Si Wong, far, far away from the war. Here, Lian grew into her power as a sandbender with the aid of masters like the Bijan people. She developed her relationship with them and when these desert nomads were around, she found employment with them scouring the desert for lost things and hawking desert goods to the Beetle-head merchants.

It was after one of these escapades into the desert with some of the Bijan people that Lian, seventeen, and a few of the Bijan lazed about the Misty Palms Oasis. It had been some time since this place was of any glory and beauty, but it wasn’t the sandstone circle Lian lived on, so it was a fine place to be in Lian’s mind.

The room was noisy and from where Lian stood near the counter, it smelled like fruit. The bartender worked in fanciful flourishes to entertain customers and draw them in for drinks. Lian leaned on the counter with an ice cup of some watermelon blend and made chit-chat and jokes with Oreh and Esfir of the Bijan. Years in the sun had tanned her skin, and her black hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail. The room suddenly went silent as the doors swung open and in stepped an Earth Kingdom Guard. Oreh drew his hood over his face and Esfir looked away as the guard walked past. Lian watched as he walked to the call-out board in the back of the room and hung up a wanted poster. Then, he left, as silent as he came.

A look was shared between the three teenagers at the bar. Lian, Oreh, and Esfir approached the board and Lian’s eyes widened.

Kun Liao - Traitor to the Earth Kingdom
Wanted Dead or Alive
Reward - 1,000 Gold pieces.

Lian snatched the poster from the wall and read it over and over again. It had to be mistaken, it couldn’t be true. Her grandfather? She looked over her shoulder for another Earth Kingdom guard. She rolled up the poster and stuck it into her bag. “I should get going,” She murmured in a panicked hush.

The boy beside her tensed. “Lian, that’s your grandfather, isn’t it?” Oreh murmured.

Lian nodded quickly. “I’m going to go check on him. I’ll see you two tomorrow back at your camp, okay?”

Esfir pulled her hood down and looked to Lian. “Lian. Why is your grandfather wanted for treason?” She asked slowly, her dark eyes flashing cautiously. Her perception of The Liaos was… Quickly changing. She was not loyal to King Chen, she was loyal to her people, but treason could mean a wide variety of horrible things.

Lian shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m going to find out, though,” she said and turned and made her way out the door.
Magic 70%
Magic is fairly common. Players and NPCs important to the tale may have it. Mistborn.
Technology 20%
Iron age
Combat 70%
More combat than not. The setting may be at war, and the characters will likely get involved whether or not they seek it out.
Romance 30%
Some romance is possible, but the overall plot is more important.

Details: Freeform, paragraphs required, long-term RP partner preferred. Will be played one-on-one.

Folklore Topic Starter

Major edit of format and added a the character suggestions tidbit
Folklore Topic Starter

opening this back up!! pls be able to meet 3+ paragraphs. I thought I included here, but ended up not Ig?
I've had some of the Worst experiences lately on facebook in terms of people saying they can multi-para, being unable to, and then giving me grief for them being unable to.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » ATLA AU Roleplay (open) (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus