Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Pride Month

Hi all, I'm Katalina, some of you have welcomed me, and I thank you for the warm welcome. I have 2 parents who know I'm Transgender already, and I wasn't sure if I should ask my brother what he thinks about the LGBTQ community or just let it lie until I start to transition. I don't know lots about what my brother likes and dislikes, and I think he dislikes the LGBTQ community as well as me. What should I do for Pride Month?
i think you should do what you feel most comfortable with; maybe you don’t feel like it’s the best option for your brother to know before you start to transition and that’s okay. you don’t owe it to him. but maybe it’s nice to know his opinions on the lgbt+ community - maybe you could watch a movie with him that include some lgbt+ characters and see if he says anything? also, in case he is transphobic, maybe your parents can talk to him (since it sounds like they support you) because your personality doesn’t change; you’re still you, it’s only your gender and it doesn’t define you as a person :)
RedPandaFox

I agree with Sunflower! I have a best friend who is bisexual and not out with her parents, because she found out their views are very negative on the LGBTQ+ community. She found out their views by watching a movie or two with her parents. I think that's a great way to go! If that doesn't work, you could try talking to him about any LGBTQ+ friends you have (If you have any in the LGBTQ+) I think if you let it die down until you transition it might be a giant shock to him, and I'm not sure how that'll affect your relationship. Like sunflower said, your gender doesn't change your personality!
KatalinaTheKittenTTV Topic Starter

The problem I have with my brother is that he dislikes me and doesn't want to ever talk to me. It doesn't give me much confidence that he likes the LGBTQ community because he was laughing about one persons reaction to transgender people.
RedPandaFox

I suppose that, you could just not tell him then. If you won't transition until you are an adult, then at that point, you won't have to live with him or explain yourself to him. If he hates it, you don't have to live near him or necessarily deal with him. I hope you the best of luck with transitioning!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Pride Month

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus