Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Character Name Limits

So I was wondering if there's a specific reason for this? Is it just formatting for the page header where the character name is? I'm not the only person I know of who's had issues with the length limits.

I've got at least three characters who I've had to truncate names for to make them fit, and the truncation occasionally creates a very bizarre name (Philippe von Menscherfiend turned into Phil v Menscherfiend for example).

If there's a good reason for the length limit, then it's all cool. I'm just curious about why the limit is so relatively small.
Kim Site Admin

I checked and you're right that it's on the short side. I will raise it a little bit, but I can't push the change live for a few days. I'm in an update freeze while some much needed testing and maintenance gets done. Should be over soon enough, though. :) Hang tight, I'll post again when it goes through.
toasterpip Topic Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply! No rush on getting the update through though. Take the time you need to make it work right!
Kim Site Admin

No problem! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Your icon has a striking resemblance to "The Brave Little Toaster" cartoon animation from back when I was a young lad.
Sherlock wrote:
Your icon has a striking resemblance to "The Brave Little Toaster" cartoon animation from back when I was a young lad.

I used to love that show as a kid
toasterpip Topic Starter

Sherlock wrote:

I get that a lot. And I can say that I haven't seen any "Brave Little Toaster" cartoons, outside of one five minute clip on YouTube.
Kim Site Admin

I raised the character name limit by 10 letters. Hopefully that will give more room to work with without shattering all the templates too badly. ;)

Please let me know if it works and helps!
toasterpip Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I raised the character name limit by 10 letters. Hopefully that will give more room to work with without shattering all the templates too badly. ;)

Please let me know if it works and helps!

I don't know if it's some oddity with my browser, but whenever I try to set character names longer (like the above-mentioned example of Phil v Menscherfiend -> Philippe von Menscherfiend) it just reloads the page with the old name. And it's not just with characters at the old name limit. It's not letting me change any of my characters' names.
I don't know if this is happening to anyone else?
Kim Site Admin

Many apologies, I had spoken too soon! Try again now. :)
toasterpip Topic Starter

Works now! Thank you muchly!
*highfives the awesome admin*

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Character Name Limits

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus