Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Needing advice

Throwaway (played anonymously)

I had to use a throwaway so anyone that knows me won't know who I am.

I have a problem and I don't know how to go about talking about it. In the last couple of years I haven't been very active in roleplay. Pretty much I took time away from sites. I roleplayed with my boyfriend during that time.

My problem is that my writing style is multiple paragraphs with as much detail as you can give. He does one line to semi para at best. He hates doing more than that. Now I made an exception just for him. We use discord, have several servers, use several worlds, character development, the works. Now that I fully have my spark back I'm finding myself less than thrilled with his replies. I prefer to roleplay here with people who write the same as me. I have more enjoyment this way. My boyfriend is sensitive about certain things and this is one of them. I don't want to hurt his feelings or anything. I don't know how to explain that I want rpr to be a LITTLE more of a priority to me. I already know he'll think I like others more than him or whatever and it's not that. He knew in the beginning how I write and I told him I ONLY do these small replies with him.

I don't know if any of this made sense but I tried.
Kim Site Admin

It sounds like you know exactly how to explain it, but you are afraid of his reaction.

Just tell him your needs, as kindly as you can. He might have unpleasant feelings about it at first, but it's his responsibility to decide how to cope with those feelings. Successful relationships are based on clear communication, even when it's not always fun.

If someone needs 100% of your attention, and does not want you to interact with others very much or at all, there may be control issues at play.
RedPandaFox

Hey! This is totally normal. I Love to roleplay semi para and can only get limited satisfaction out of one-liners. I think a good way to explain to him is to tell him that everyone RPs with more than one person. I for one am RPing with about 5 people right now, all of them completely different. You could tell him that you'd like to see different writing styles from different people, or that you'd like to try different genres. I only reply to my RPs about once a day, which helps me get away with writing multi para in my Rps.

He might be a little upset, if he misinterprets, but if he tries to control your life that's not OK. You're life is yours, and you were born with it. No one else gets to own you. Try telling him that you'd like to try doing semi para with other people to see how it feels and wanted to try RPing with some new people since you know that he hates doing more than one lines.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Needing advice

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus