Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The "alternative" subculture nation???

Metalheads? Goths? Punks? Rockabilly crew? Anything else? Where y'all at?!

I'll talk a bit about myself - I was raised listening to the old-school rock and metal stuff, before fully settling into the goth scene that was more revolving around the music rather than the style, even though I was a trad gothgothgoth back in the day when I had the time and energy to dress up like a cartoon villain. While I have entered the adulthood that swallows up said time and energy, I am still very much a darker in my heart.

Besides being a full on goth who embraced my creepiness, I have blended in with the metalhead crew, given that it was the ONLY "alternative" crew where I am from (still to this day is.) I'm still listening to old-school stuff and am deep into the dark spectrum of music, aesthetics and occult, which would be quite obvious should you check out my profile and characters.

So I figured I'd post this here if there's any people like this on RPR at all, but if there are, would love to talk about the scene, music and things like that!

If you're a person who dresses alternatively and don't really dabble into the actual subculture scene, I strongly suggest that you do. You can even post here and ask questions!
1PMA.gif
Oh boy,

Let me tell you about Mipps. Back in my teenage years I was goth. I listened to mostly hard rock then and used Napster to find underground music. I had no friends in the subculture, I was quite the loner.. so I didn't get the subculture boost until my early twenties when my brother took me to a goth-nightclub.
I got very into the scene, I did freelance gogo-dancing for my city's most renowned DJ of that subculture for things like the "vampire ball", I ran a gothic coffee meetup, and worked with others for other gothic meetups. Of course we were very welcoming to the punks, death rockers and metalheads as well. We also had anime kids and juggalos with us. One of my best friends at the time even opened up his own nightclub that i ran marketing for, 250 ish people showed up! It was exciting!
Later I ran "The Gothic Project" website that was a directory of places to go for goth gear, meetups, clubs, food places and more that vibed with the subculture; along with lists of local bands, music and movie selections.

ahh the good ol days. Now I am like a basic-goth. I wear black yoga pants and black knock off uggs with more black on top with avatars and a coffee in hand. LOL im not afraid to admit it.

I still listen to a lot of the 80s goth wave, trippy dark, the aggro-tech screamo that the more industrials listened to. But I gave most all my stuff away when I moved out of California to be with my husband. I gave it to one of my dear friends who got into gothic-burlesque shows - so those boots with the 6 inch platform and buckles went to a good home.


It does excite me to see more conversations about it, because when i first became a goth as a teen it was only a handful of years after the Columbine incident. Goths were blamed heavily for satanism and violent activity, so it was very very hard on me with all the public looks and scrutiny I got for just being me.

((name that band. the Gif is Siouxsie and Banshees))
Mipps wrote:
Oh boy,

Let me tell you about Mipps. Back in my teenage years I was goth. I listened to mostly hard rock then and used Napster to find underground music. I had no friends in the subculture, I was quite the loner.. so I didn't get the subculture boost until my early twenties when my brother took me to a goth-nightclub.
I got very into the scene, I did freelance gogo-dancing for my city's most renowned DJ of that subculture for things like the "vampire ball", I ran a gothic coffee meetup, and worked with others for other gothic meetups. Of course we were very welcoming to the punks, death rockers and metalheads as well. We also had anime kids and juggalos with us. One of my best friends at the time even opened up his own nightclub that i ran marketing for, 250 ish people showed up! It was exciting!
Later I ran "The Gothic Project" website that was a directory of places to go for goth gear, meetups, clubs, food places and more that vibed with the subculture; along with lists of local bands, music and movie selections.

ahh the good ol days. Now I am like a basic-goth. I wear black yoga pants and black knock off uggs with more black on top with avatars and a coffee in hand. LOL im not afraid to admit it.

I still listen to a lot of the 80s goth wave, trippy dark, the aggro-tech screamo that the more industrials listened to. But I gave most all my stuff away when I moved out of California to be with my husband. I gave it to one of my dear friends who got into gothic-burlesque shows - so those boots with the 6 inch platform and buckles went to a good home.


It does excite me to see more conversations about it, because when i first became a goth as a teen it was only a handful of years after the Columbine incident. Goths were blamed heavily for satanism and violent activity, so it was very very hard on me with all the public looks and scrutiny I got for just being me.

((name that band. the Gif is Siouxsie and Banshees))

I'm actually super stoked to know that you're part of the subculture! And your story sounds pretty damn amazing. Where I'm from, typically anything that falls under the "alternative" spectrum is written off as outcasts and we didn't have any shops that were for our kind and there were no cool events expect for like metal themed nights held by an old and local metalhead in some pub lmao

And I remember the whole panic about the goths and Marilyn Manson because of the Columbine incident, it was actually a very scary time for everyone involved. Part of me understood why the general public was afraid, because what has happened was horrible. However, people of today seem to be generally more accepting of the aesthetic so things are a whole lot better!
I wouldn't say I'm part of any particular subculture (I'm too anxious for any social stuff and am happier spending my free time at a computer screen, by my musical keyboard or on the seat of my motorcycle), and more that I just prefer to express myself in ways that go against social norms (and wear the sorts of things that I think is awesome, rather than everyone else), but I suppose there's definitely some gothic/metalhead overlap. Especially in my clothing and music taste.

Of the 3 coats I wear outdoors, two are Punk Rave brand and the other is a leather trenchcoat. I have three pairs of New Rock boots. In fact, including my motorcycle boots and my hiking boots, all of my footwear is on the boot spectrum. I have a selection of gothic accessories and a couple of sets of gothic gloves. I also have a pair of pants with belts all down the legs, but I don't wear it much because it's a nightmare to wash (can't be machine washed, at least according to the label).

My music library is full of metal, particularly black/death/doom variety and gothic metal in general (I typically prefer it over metalcore/thrash). But I also listen a large variety of music across electronica, rock and even pop and reggae.

I will admit that here in a satellite town of a northern English city, my choice of fashion does get a lot of stares... it's so flamboyant that I wonder how many people think I'm cosplaying as something XD.

Funnily enough though, despite said flamboyance, my motorcycle gear is like the lamest stuff you can imagine. I went full fluorescent green textile, mostly to satisfy my anxiety over safety.
Queen_of_Hell wrote:

I'm actually super stoked to know that you're part of the subculture! And your story sounds pretty damn amazing. Where I'm from, typically anything that falls under the "alternative" spectrum is written off as outcasts and we didn't have any shops that were for our kind and there were no cool events expect for like metal themed nights held by an old and local metalhead in some pub lmao

And I remember the whole panic about the goths and Marilyn Manson because of the Columbine incident, it was actually a very scary time for everyone involved. Part of me understood why the general public was afraid, because what has happened was horrible. However, people of today seem to be generally more accepting of the aesthetic so things are a whole lot better!


To be honest, there wasn't much around my area too. It was 'little things'.. hole in the walls or places like consignment, costume or novelty shops . My area was definitely a birthplace for Punks so we had a FEW places... but it would be like.. an Ink shop selling spikes and stripper store sold the goth boots ect.


Society today is FAR more accepting I think. I mean , still weird looks.. but rockers are more common place and people in all black aren't seen as satan worshipers that will eat children.. lol so its a pleasant progression.

Riik wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm part of any particular subculture (I'm too anxious for any social stuff and am happier spending my free time at a computer screen, by my musical keyboard or on the seat of my motorcycle), and more that I just prefer to express myself in ways that go against social norms (and wear the sorts of things that I think is awesome, rather than everyone else), but I suppose there's definitely some gothic/metalhead overlap. Especially in my clothing and music taste.

subcultures aren't always social.. sometimes its just a label we define ourselves as. Like I was a goth long before i was ever in a social circle of goths.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The "alternative" subculture nation???

Moderators: MadRatBird, Keke, Libertine, Copper_Dragon, Sanne, Dragonfire, Heimdall, Ben, Darth_Angelus