Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living With Turner Syndrome

Gab

Hey, y'all! So, I saw the Living Library event RPR is putting on and felt it'd be fun to participate as a "book" for a person living with Turner Syndrome!

So, a little bit about Turner Syndrome, for those who don't know (probably quite a few people): It's basically a genetic disorder that affects the X-Chromosome. Basically, what happens is that either pieces of or the entire X-Chromosome is missing. It only happens in girls and as a result of the broken up or missing chromosome, development can be delayed. It's also known to cause infertility. Most women don't get diagnosed until their teens or young adult years. Though, I was diagnosed since I was, I think, two years old?

So, yeah, ask away! I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability! ^_^
Cass Moderator

Hi Gab,

Thanks for writing about this. I wanted to know what has it taught you? :) Perhaps something positive? Has turner's syndrome given you particular challenges in life? How do you overcome those obstacles if so?

Lots of questions. :D
Hi Gab!

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn!

I was wondering what reaction people have, when you tell them that you are diagnosed with Turner’s Syndrome?

Have a lovely day! :D
Kim Site Admin

Gab! How did you find out so early that you had turner syndrome?
Gab Topic Starter

Cass wrote:
Hi Gab,

Thanks for writing about this. I wanted to know what has it taught you? :) Perhaps something positive? Has turner's syndrome given you particular challenges in life? How do you overcome those obstacles if so?

Lots of questions. :D

Hey, Cass!

Well, I'd say it's taught me to not let my condition get me down and not be shy about it haha.

And I'd say the most challenging things it's given me has been my height and overall general development and overcoming them is just a simple answer; medicine and regular visits to my doctor to make sure everything's going well. I took growth hormones in the form of daily shots to help my growth (I don't any longer) and now I take a variety of medicine, estrogen patches for example, to help manage my development. Other than that I'm just your average 20 year old woman haha.
Gab Topic Starter

LittleLilac wrote:
Hi Gab!

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn!

I was wondering what reaction people have, when you tell them that you are diagnosed with Turner’s Syndrome?

Have a lovely day! :D

Hi, LittleLilac!

Well, they're reaction is mostly confusion as to what it even is haha. Then when I tell them, we just kinda move on for the most part.
Gab Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Gab! How did you find out so early that you had turner syndrome?

Hey, Kim!

Well, from what my mom told me, my doctor had noticed I really wasn't growing as well as the other kids, so they wanted to get me tested and, ta dah! One Turner Syndrom diagnosis!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living With Turner Syndrome

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus